Cars Fordmans Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets get something straight here, I have never ever said, it's scratch made. My original post just said "I will leave this here", I never said it was scratch made, lets just get that straight please.
Also I have never said "its my work" but to clarify, what I have said, is he model is 10% of the work, the physics and sound is the rest, so yes, thank you to SMS for a half assed attempt.

I am not trying to justify what I have / am doing, as seriously, I don't need to justify anything, as what SMS done, yeah ok, it was ok, but we have stripped it back to basics, and massively improved it, all we have used is the shell, why re-invent the wheel here and improved and progressed it.

Seriously. so what if it is not scratch made, it was so wrong in the first place that we have had to re-do everything to actually make it driveable.

If I used their complete model and said, I did this, then yeah fair enough, but we have not, as their model is based on the 2016 model, not the 2018 car.

Shaun

Lets get something straight here, I have never ever said, it's scratch made. My original post just said "I will leave this here", I never said it was scratch made, lets just get that straight please.
Also I have never said "its my work" but to clarify, what I have said, is he model is 10% of the work, the physics and sound is the rest, so yes, thank you to SMS for a half assed attempt.

I am not trying to justify what I have / am doing, as seriously, I don't need to justify anything, as what SMS done, yeah ok, it was ok, but we have stripped it back to basics, and massively improved it, all we have used is the shell, why re-invent the wheel here and improved and progressed it.

Seriously. so what if it is not scratch made, it was so wrong in the first place that we have had to re-do everything to actually make it driveable.

If I used their complete model and said, I did this, then yeah fair enough, but we have not, as their model is based on the 2016 model, not the 2018 car.

Shaun
Cool man. But it has no place on RD.

Seems pretty disingenuous for the creator of a WIP mod to be showcasing their ripped content on RD but having no intentions of releasing it here.

If that was considered acceptable, we'd have all the facebook plebs here advertising their 1000s of Forza rips.

Check out @Stereo's Formula Ford, can't find a thread for it but it looks awesome (scratch made - imagine that!) and is more or less guaranteed quality.

Found a pic from a google search

preview-jpg.180652

He used to share a lot of wip pics of that glory about last yea in the "what are you working on" thread. Shame we no longer hear of it.

I've asked about FF's in other places and always been refereed to one or the other vintage Lotus open wheelers. Although FF may have its roots in them ... they are but a shadow of the car in your illustration ... in ti(y)res alone!

I've always thought that a FF would make a good training car for a nube ... well maybe a bit more advanced than a total nube ... but you know what I'm talking about. Also something with the full kit of adjustments. Learning to do setups on this open wheeler should be pretty easy.

It's still in the pipeline, but Stereo has put some other projects ahead of it on his list. It's a fantastic model and I, too, am keen on seeing it finished. Really excited to play with his new shader on it, too; I'll have to revisit most of the skins I made for it to take full advantage of it :D

It's still in the pipeline, but Stereo has put some other projects ahead of it on his list. It's a fantastic model and I, too, am keen on seeing it finished. Really excited to play with his new shader on it, too; I'll have to revisit most of the skins I made for it to take full advantage of it :D
That's good to hear that the car is still on the list. If it takes much longer to release it could very well take the throne from Gary's Ford Transit as the King of Teases on RD :D

Christ it is such a toxic environment.....

Gary i take it you got a licence for the Ford Transit?
Not sure what that has to do with anything. Shaun's previous mods were not licensed too, though given they are free mods which were presumably scratch made there is no issue.

The issue is about stealing assets without consent. Pretty simply stuff.

RD has a pretty clear policy on that, no idea why anyone should be dragging in ripped stuff here whether or not they intend to release it.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. Shaun's previous mods were not licensed too, though given they are free mods which were presumably scratch made there is no issue.

The issue is about stealing assets without consent. Pretty simply stuff.

RD has a pretty clear policy on that, no idea why anyone should be dragging in ripped stuff here whether or not they intend to release it.

Because it comes across, to me at least, as very toxic and you sound extremely condescending for someone who has used Fords intellectual property rights without consent, so why sit in judgment over anyone using SMS's IPR?

I sit on the side of the fence marked "I'll use a mod even if the person hasn't purchased a licence".... just not keen on hypocrisy.... carry as you were.....

Because it comes across, to me at least, as very toxic and you sound extremely condescending for someone who has used Fords intellectual property rights without consent, so why sit in judgment over anyone using SMS's IPR?
There is a huge difference though between recreating something (in this case in 3d model form, but it could also be as a painting or sculpture etc.), and then simply stealing assets.
Those are not the same thing.

The first is entirely your own work, even if the intent is to resemble something already existing.

The second is taking work that is not your own without permission.

I sit on the side of the fence marked "I'll use a mod even if the person hasn't purchased a licence".... just not keen on hypocrisy.... carry as you were.....
For clarification without taking a side: The discussion is not about using intellectual property of Ginetta (in this case), but using actual property of SMS, as in Shaun does not have the consent of the one who actually built the model he uses here.

On the contrary, Shaun has the consent of the modeler for the Seat Leon and for the Audi TT he released previously, just as Gary has consent as he built the Transit model himself, so both cases are OK as far as the ToS of RaceDepartment goes, and only that is the point of contention here.

If it's morally OK to use a car manufacturer's design for a free mod is another discussion entirely.

Sorry man, 2 completely different issues here.

Taking and modifying a game asset is not the same as not purchasing a license.

If that was the case, I buy... say Ferrari’s license and go nuts on PCars2 and AC content claiming them as my own? This place sometimes provides a good laugh :roflmao:

The simple point here is if he wants to head down this road of stolen assets then there are other outlets where he can post his progress. Just not here on RD.

The simple point here is if he wants to head down this road of stolen assets then there are other outlets where he can post his progress. Just not here on RD.
Fair point there, but I will just say, all the other mods that I have worked on and released ARE SCRATCH MADE and I had full permissions from the original creator to progress them. They include, The Audi TT, Seat Leon Eurocup, Seat Leon TCR (Adapted from the Eurocup) Ginetta GT4, GT4 Supercup and soon, WIP, the Ginetta GT3 Swan Tail, as below.

__custom_showroom_1534180149.jpg
__custom_showroom_1534180127.jpg

Sorry man, 2 completely different issues here.

Taking and modifying a game asset is not the same as not purchasing a license.

If that was the case, I buy... say Ferrari’s license and go nuts on PCars2 and AC content claiming them as my own? This place sometimes provides a good laugh :roflmao:

Not sure what you are on about?
Ferrari licensed out their brand to both Kunos and SMS, both can use Ferrari models... modders don't have a license so really should not be making any mod cars that tread on eithers toes, regardless of using their actual models or scratch made....fact...
Ford own the Ford brand logo which is on the transit mod, Garry has no license agreement with Ford to use that logo.
All modders are in a grey area, but yes some push that envelope further.
Garry's issue is purely down to his massive ego though...

Not sure what you are on about?
Ferrari licensed out their brand to both Kunos and SMS, both can use Ferrari models... modders don't have a license so really should not be making any mod cars that tread on eithers toes, regardless of using their actual models or scratch made....fact...
Ford own the Ford brand logo which is on the transit mod, Garry has no license agreement with Ford to use that logo.
All modders are in a grey area, but yes some push that envelope further.
Garry's issue is purely down to his massive ego though...
Lol, thats one way to miss the point entirely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play