Upcoming Events

Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Other regular AC events on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT4 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Daily WTCR races on Simracing.GP

Fanatec Static Paddles (DIY)

Hello !

I build a complete static paddles for Fanatec wheelbases, including the electronics needed to connect the paddles to the SHIFTER2 port. The main advantage of this project is that you can design your own sequential shifter and plug it into the base directly, avoiding using a microcontroller (and a usb port). All the parts are 3D printed.

GitHub page (Fanashifter)

full_assembly.png
on_base.jpg

Nice work and perfect timing for me since I'm about to start wiring a push/pull shifter I'm making and needed this exact info. Your mod allows you to use the shifter on port 1 but I'm wondering if you only plan on using port 2 which is made for Seq do you still need to use resistors and all 6 wires? I have a CS1.0 plugged into port 1 so my diy seq will be in port 2.

Is it possible to just use the 3 wires (ground/up/down) plus the jumper? When I look as Ascher's cable for theirs it looks pretty simple, no resistors/boards just a few wires and the Rj plug.

Hello.

In the reversed doc, the switches work as pull up (low means pushed) so you need the resistors. You can connect the shifter in whatever port (port2 only accepts sequential shifters, no H-shaped ones). I connect it to port2 because I have an H in port1.

I'm computer engineer, not electronic one... And I can't tell you if it works without the resistors (I think not). The board is very simple and you only need two cheap 10K resistors.

If you need more help, I'll be glad to help you.

Kind Regards

Thanks for the quick reply.. after rewatching Barry's video of the Ascher unit it really seems it's just plain wiring, no breakout box and no suspicious lumps in the wire harness. I have all the parts to do it either way but am going to test simple wiring first with breadboard because now I'm curious and will share what I find.

Thanks for the quick reply.. after rewatching Barry's video of the Ascher unit it really seems it's just plain wiring, no breakout box and no suspicious lumps in the wire harness. I have all the parts to do it either way but am going to test simple wiring first with breadboard because now I'm curious and will share what I find.

Thinking about it, the key maybe the switches. I use normally open ones (so if not pushed, they send a HIGH value with the resistors, in my wiring configuration). If you use a normally closed ones, you can wire them without resistors (when pushed, you open the circuit and low is send).

Hope it helps,

Did a quick test before some racing tonight. The 3 wires on their own works for buttons. To test I just shorted the pull/push signal wires to ground (same thing a normally-open switch does) using Fanatec/windows game controller to test.

Behaves same as my Fanatec shifter in seq mode. The advantage of doing it the way you did is you could use yours in port 1 but for port 2 it's already done internally. The Vcc pin still had 3.3v but I didn't need jump the other pins or bridge them to the Vcc.

tl:dr: simple 3 wire scheme is fine for shifter2 ^_^

Last edited:
Did a quick test before some racing tonight. The 3 wires on their own works for buttons. To test I just shorted the pull/push signal wires to ground (same thing a normally-open switch does) using Fanatec/windows game controller to test.

Behaves same as my Fanatec shifter in seq mode. The advantage of doing it the way you did is you could use yours in port 1 but for port 2 it's already done internally. The Vcc pin still had 3.3v but I didn't need jump the other pins or bridge them to the Vcc.

tl:dr: simple 3 wire scheme is fine for shifter2 ^_^

Thank you very much for your test. Can you provide a simple schema?
I will update the documentation (with your permission and credit, of course)

Thank you very much!

Thank you very much for your test. Can you provide a simple schema?
I will update the documentation (with your permission and credit, of course)

Thank you very much!

No problem, and you're quite welcome. I used the free schematic tool thing on Digi-Key, pretty useful thing I only just discovered though I couldn't figure out how to make text boxes to annotate. Anyhow, here's the simple wiring version only for use in Shifter2 port:

ANid601.png