Fanatec Podium wheel - dated for 13th July 2018

I was thinking I'm going to pull a plug on OSW, but what's another half year :) I will wait for reviews and decide then. What I like is, that they claim the motor was designed specifically for simracing use from scratch, this is what makes me wait. Let's see how it will perform with current or next gen competition when it's really available for purchase.

Upvote 0
yea that's why they said about the first one then the v2 came. there will always be more if there's money to be made, especially if they can undercut fanatec from here on out.
The V2 is exactly the same as the V1 though motor and performance wise, the only difference is it’s cheaper to make because the motor housing is different and it doesn’t have 3 USB’s on the back.

Upvote 0
I think it would important for Fanatec's customers to really know what will be DD1's price, or at least price zone. If it's like ~1K€. me and many other would say "ok, that's sound good and reasonable, now we just have to wait", but if we don't know nothing, why would we wait?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I was thinking I'm going to pull a plug on OSW, but what's another half year :) I will wait for reviews and decide then. What I like is, that they claim the motor was designed specifically for simracing use from scratch, this is what makes me wait. Let's see how it will perform with current or next gen competition when it's really available for purchase.
Did they mention anywhere what company designed and manufactured motor specifically for them.
Most likely the motor is off the shelf with some tweaks to controller electronics, if any.
But it doesn't matter really, existing motor with long track record can prove more reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I can’t find the information on this, from the website it seems to suggest it only has mounting points on side and front, not on the bottom?

I have a Sim Labs P1 rig on the way and I picked the Wheel Deck rather than the Front Mount option with it as I have a Fanatec V2 right now, but on the Sim Labs site it says the Wheel Deck mount supports the Fanatec Direct Drive bases and they have had that on there for some time but this simply isn’t possible if the base doesn’t have points on the bottom so would like to know this.

Thomas verified that the Podium does use the 3 bolt pattern on the bottom that other Fanatec bases use. It DOES NOT use the 4 bolt pattern, only the three.

Upvote 0
Use of the Outrunner design is interesting and I wonder about the Pro's & Con's in terms of the inertia-related behavior. I'd expect the motor durability to be good so it would come down to real-world performance factors. The features look good on paper but, the top DD-wheels have set the bar really high in terms of FFB-quality.

Upvote 0
Did they mention anywhere what company designed and manufactured motor specifically for them.
Most likely the motor is off the shelf with some tweaks to controller electronics, if any.
But it doesn't matter really, existing motor with long track record can prove more reliable.
I found it interesting the 5 year warranty must be purchased for an extra $299. If I make an investment in sim racing hardware at this level, I want the manufacturer to stand behind it for at least 5 years at no extra charge. I would be very upset if I purchased a DD wheel and it failed after a year or three. I love sim racing, but there is a limit as to how much money I am willing to sink into it. I can justify more money if I know the manufacturer will stand behind it long enough for the technology in it to likely be superseded in the marketplace.

Upvote 0
I found it interesting the 5 year warranty must be purchased for an extra $299. If I make an investment in sim racing hardware at this level, I want the manufacturer to stand behind it for at least 5 years at no extra charge. I would be very upset if I purchased a DD wheel and it failed after a year or three. I love sim racing, but there is a limit as to how much money I am willing to sink into it. I can justify more money if I know the manufacturer will stand behind it long enough for the technology in it to likely be superseded in the marketplace.

The warranty cost drew my attention too.

I can see it two main ways. One is an easy money grab for those wanting piece of mind. That does happen in the higher end/niche space of many hobbies. The company makes the assumption that those with means to get the unit in the first place might see this as a feasible extension of the budget.

The second is some concern about the MTBF (Mean time between failure) of certain components MTBF. One of the areas that I'd be worried going down the Fanatec route is the added complexity of having everything housed in a single box.

With that said, a 3yr warranty is pretty good and if there are teething issues, I'd expect them to surface during that time window. I still have concerns that the packaging desire for aesthetics could be a weakness in the future.

Upvote 0
One thing to remember tho about the warranty stuff, fanatec have always helped me out with parts at reasonable prices for all their various stuff which were out of warranty over the years. Got a replacement CSP v1 PCB not long ago for $20 bucks or so, hopefully that's the case going forward.

Upvote 0
"This heavy piece of solid metal is engineered with German precision and built to last for many years. The extremely solid construction allows commercial and professional use; this is the last wheel base you’ll ever need."

- so why the need to charge an extra $300 for warranty if it is built to last? Sounds like a lack of confidence in their build quality to me :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
"This heavy piece of solid metal is engineered with German precision and built to last for many years. The extremely solid construction allows commercial and professional use; this is the last wheel base you’ll ever need."

- so why the need to charge an extra $300 for warranty if it is built to last? Sounds like a lack of confidence in their build quality to me :rolleyes:
I'm just really disappointed in everything about the whole presentation, especially after the lengthy wait. The school-project production values, the totally unrehearsed nature of it, the boring graph-heavy content, the lack of meaningful technical product detail, the pricing, the paywall extended warranty, the lack of a preorder bundle or discount, the six month delay until the product is ready to ship, the bloody auction reveal, FFS.
Fanatec really dropped the ball with this one and it does not fill me with any confidence whatsoever. All of my sim kit is Fanatec and has been for the past eight years, and I've been pretty happy and relatively trouble-free. If I was new to the brand and in the market for a new wheel though... I'd wonder who these jokers were after that display.

Upvote 0
Well for EU Fanatec comes with a 2 YR as standard user warranty
So in many cases depending on the region you may get an extra year to the typical 1 year warranty with buying the product.

IIRC Thomas mentioned the warranty also covered the unit being used under professional use.
So I would assume some see the option of a $300 Warranty working out at $100 a year for an additional 3 years, as not bad peace of mind.

What warranty does an Accuforce, Leo Bodner or OSW come with or does any of these even give the option to have an extended warranty?

Some of them don't even mention anything about warranties...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Highlighted some interesting points, some not covered much yet but a few factors I would have to consider if comparing to other DD wheels. I for one as a potential buyer have to take these into account and look at all the pros/cons compared to buying an OSW or other popular DD wheel around £1000.

Note:
Both the DD1 and DD2 do not list Playstation Compatibility so it seems that the PS4 Official Licensed Version that will also come with F1 Licensing is unique. Keep in mind this packaged product was mentioned as being based on the DD1 base in the video, so should share its other specs. We have no date for release or price of this version but it will not be sold like the auction purchase of the standard DD1 base.

DD1 & DD2 for Xbox require an Xbox Rim to be used.

Features
  • Custom-designed servo motor designed by our engineers and the first direct drive motor optimised for racing simulator applications.
  • Outrunner-type motor achieves outstanding peak torque of 18Nm, matching the torque output in most real race cars using power steering.
  • The Podium Wheel Base DD1 holding torque is not less than 15Nm even under heavy use in a race.
  • Motor acceleration and speed remains at the highest level, even with heavy steering wheels.
  • Ultra-low torque ripple ensures minimal mechanical distractions and the same smooth experience as in a belt driven wheel.
  • Wireless data and power to all Fanatec steering wheels to enable unlimited rotation of the steering wheel.
  • Integrated 2.7” 256x64 resolution OLED display.
  • Podium wheel bases include advanced telemetry features in the OLED display for real-time motor and force feedback data such as power output, FFB clipping and more.
  • Upgraded Fanatec Tuning Menu.
    • Five presets for different games and applications
    • Steering lock
    • FFB Strength
    • Shock
    • ABS
    • Drift mode
    • Force
    • Spring
    • Damper
    • Force Effect Intensity
  • Support for advanced dual clutch bite-point mode.
  • Integrated electronics within wheel base housing, no external control box required.
  • The electronics ensure extremely low latency to provide immediate feedback from racing simulators.
  • Fully certified with CE, FCC, C-Tick, ROHS and all other certificates required by law, ensuring that this product does not interfere with other electronic devices.
  • Torque Key allows user to lock/unlock the Podium Racing Wheel’s full performance.
  • All existing and upcoming Fanatec peripherals fully supported.
  • Choose from a growing selection of Fanatec steering wheels in many different styles and price/quality levels.
  • Firmware can be updated with new features.
  • Fast 1000 Hz USB update rate.
  • Ultra-low latency due to integrated electronics and highest quality components.
  • Allows connection of two external shifters (e.g. H-pattern and sequential) in parallel.
  • Mount for ClubSport Static Shifter Paddles and other optional accessories.
  • Connection ports for peripheral devices: USB, Power, Pedals, Shifter 1, Shifter 2, Handbrake.
  • All-Aluminium housing.
  • Exchangeable brushed aluminium cover plates.
  • Supports Fanatec 3-hole mounting pattern, front mounting and side mounting. Hard mounting to a cockpit is highly recommended due the high amount of torque.
  • Full Fanatec SDK support ensures game compatibility out of the box for all major racing games across all platforms.
  • Introducing the new Podium software for PC applications.
    • Show telemetry data from the racing simulation like speed, lap times, brake temperatures, tachometers on devices like smartphones, tablets or USB monitors.
    • Supports all major PC racing simulators like F1 2017, Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2 and rFactor 2.
    • Control your Upgraded Fanatec Tuning Menu settings and presets directly from the software through the connected devices.
    • Save game specific settings to PC software, which will be automatically applied when the game is launched.
    • Introducing new FFB tuning features like speed sensitive dampening.
  • Automotive grade Quick Release system with rubber dampener for zero flex and movement between the steering wheel and wheel base.
  • Standard 2 years warranty.
  • Optional extensions for 3 & 5 years warranty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well for EU Fanatec comes with a 2 YR as standard user warranty
So in many cases depending on the region you may get an extra year to the typical 1 year warranty with buying the product.

IIRC Thomas mentioned the warranty also covered the unit being used under professional use.
So I would assume some see the option of a $300 Warranty working out at $100 a year for an additional 3 years, as not bad peace of mind.

What warranty does an Accuforce, Leo Bodner or OSW come with or does any of these even give the option to have an extended warranty?

Some of them don't even mention anything about warranties...
The Bodnar wheels are designed for the pro/commercial market and just made available to the public, same with Heusinkveld. Accuforce sell a lot to the commercial and pro markets, I’m guessing like the other two I mentioned that’s where most of their sales actually go and all the components are stress tested for those more rigorous environments.

Accuforce is standard US 1 year, Bodnar is UK so 2 years; however these kind of companies at the higher end of the market have great customer care so it really isn’t that big a concern. SimX sent me a brand new QR when I had an issue with mine for no cost and that’s a $120 part once shipping to the UK is considered.

OSW is obviously dependant on who you buy it from but they seem to all be 1 year.

However I ask again how many issues do you hear of at this end of the market? Fanatec will need to up their game considerably in the durability and build quality stakes to match their peers, who cares about performance if it doesn’t last!

Upvote 0
The Bodnar wheels are designed for the pro/commercial market and just made available to the public, same with Heusinkveld. Accuforce sell a lot to the commercial and pro markets, I’m guessing like the other two I mentioned that’s where most of their sales actually go and all the components are stress tested for those more rigorous environments.

Accuforce is standard US 1 year, Bodnar is UK so 2 years; however these kind of companies at the higher end of the market have great customer care so it really isn’t that big a concern. SimX sent me a brand new QR when I had an issue with mine for no cost and that’s a $120 part once shipping to the UK is considered.

OSW is obviously dependant on who you buy it from but they seem to all be 1 year.

However I ask again how many issues do you hear of at this end of the market? Fanatec will need to up their game considerably in the durability and build quality stakes to match their peers, who cares about performance if it doesn’t last!
As others have said, Fanatec should just offer the five-year warranty as standard. People rightly expect a DDW to be nuke-proof, so charging for an extended warranty seems to either be a cynical cash-grab or tells me that Fanatec don't have 100% faith in the durability of their own product.

Upvote 0
As others have said, Fanatec should just offer the five-year warranty as standard. People rightly expect a DDW to be nuke-proof, so charging for an extended warranty seems to either be a cynical cash-grab or tells me that Fanatec don't have 100% faith in the durability of their own product.

Okay so Bodner is bullet proof and its at what price?
Yet even it does not offer a 3-5yr extended warranty. I wonder what the service costs are on one, say 2-3 years old?

You guys fail to see its good business for Fanatec. Some consumers wont buy the additional warranty, yet for some consumers, they will feel $100 per year is not actually that bad.

However, some in this thread they take every aspect and look at the negatives so they can get their daily moan. :)

I would have thought that if a company is willing to offer a 3YR warranty with "Professional Usage" in a situation that the product is under full load daily then they actually have faith in the reliability under such strains.

Why would they then not offer an out of box 3 or 5 year warranty.
I tell you why, as none of the other companies do neither.

Upvote 0
Yet even it does not offer a 3-5yr extended warranty. I wonder what the service costs are on one, say 2-3 years old?

You guys fail to see its good business for Fanatec. Some consumers wont buy the additional warranty, yet for some consumers, they will feel $100 per year is not actually that bad.

However, some in this thread they take every aspect and look at the negatives so they can get their daily moan. :)

I would have thought that if a company is willing to offer a 3YR warranty with "Professional Usage" in a situation that the product is under full load daily then they actually have faith in the reliability under such strains.

Almost every DDW is bullet proof, the industrial motors are in very low usage because what they are meant to be doing is not moving the FFB of the wheel.
Products like Bodnar,OSW and other direct drive are products for almost a lifetime, and even if electronic fails you can buy the parts everywhere whitout the need of sending your wheel to customer support.
Also the augury simulations customer support is x10 times better than what Fanatec has given any time.

Upvote 0

I’m not going to argue with you about a subject of which you have no direct experience dealing with these higher end companies.

Go have a read of some threads about Heusinkveld products for example and you will see that not only do they fix and send parts free of charge both inside warranty, they also do outside of warranty and even on 2nd hand products. You own the product they will fix it. Fanatec will never be able to offer this level or service simply because they are too big, too many customers and many more products means they simply can’t afford to, financially or time wise.

Part of the extra cost of the high end gear is it being hand built and tested with a smaller customer base meaning they can provide better after sales care and throw in extras bits for free to make sure it’s perfect for your rig. It’s one of those things where if you have a great experience with a product you’ll keep buying more from that company.

A comparison of a negative experience I’ve had, I bought a DSD button box 2nd hand and contacted them over email with a query to which I was instantly questioned being told they didn’t know who I was and wouldn’t answer any questions without proof of purchase and any issues I had were not their problem. That one moment means I will never buy a DSD product because they got so defensive from a simple question.

Anyway this is all moot until we see how it performs.

Although I don’t know how plug and play is even considered a thing when dialling in FFB is anything but plug and play in a lot of sims. Even more so with DD which plays havoc with games which expect budget/weaker wheels.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea