Fanatec Podium wheel - dated for 13th July 2018

Funny you should say that Furnace...!!

I recently had a PCB hold-down screw inside my BMW Wheel back out and short out something inside, in turn, taking out the wheel's PIC micro-controller.

I contacted Fanatec to see if I could PURCHASE a new board (or even just a programmed PIC uC) given it was 4 years since I bought it and out of warranty (albeit with very little use as I tended to use my F1 wheel). They said they don't carry these spares for this wheel effectively turning my $400 wheel into just a nice looking paperweight.

I therefore find it 'interesting' that Fanatec would offer an extra 2 years warranty for $500AUD on this wheelbase.

Fanatec%20BS.jpg

The fact it's (yet again) another pre-order also wouldn't sit well with me either as I ponied up for the McLaren GT3 wheel in November last year only for the delivery to be bumped TWICE. Once due to some 'electronic issue' and the second time due to some shipping issue for ALL Australia customers. In short, this meant it turned a 3 month pre-order into a 6-month affair.

I've had other issues with Fanatec stuff - my V1 pedal load cell (x2) and electronics (I'm running a Bodnar board now) and intermittent shifter (it's in the bin).. so maybe I'm just unlucky, but I'm kinda done with them.

I wish those luck that are happy to wait for the pre-order or willing to spend $2.5K AUD on a wheelbase (+ $500 AUD on an extended warranty). I truly hope it's everything people are expecting and look forward to the reviews...!!

At the end of the day, I wrote my own code, programmed up a PIC micro-controller and got my wheel working again. I also built my own OSW for $1400AUD (a $1,100 saving over the Podium..!!) and moving away from my reliance on anything Fanatec.

I think in general, it's somewhat of 'the luck of the draw' with every manufacturer. There are people who swear by Thrustmaster, and others who swear at Thrustmaster. Same for Logitech, Fanatec, and many others. I thought the additional charge for the 5 year warranty was likely sufficient to cover a single failure, so that inferred to me that you were essentially paying for the expected repair up front. In general I like Fanatec products, and my contact with their support has been good. But as the price of entry climbs, I hope the quality and MTBF climbs as well.

Upvote 0
New announcement video by Fanatec is out:
  • Regular DD1 price is 999.95 Euro/USD
  • First batch of DD1 will have DD2 motor
  • All DD2 pre-orders will come with a 5 year warranty included
  • There will be 100 DD1 auctions (w/ final price below 950 Euro/USD)
Exactly one billion times better.

Upvote 0

Much better. Major credit to them for listening and responding in a major way.

Upvote 0
Surely each auction is just going to start with an initial bid of $/€/£950 to immediately win it with a $/€/£50 discount? Let's face it, nobody's going to get one for less than that.

Upvote 0
Yeh unless the system breaks again or they do what they did in the Black Friday sale and have a random cutoff discount of say 75% and whoever bids at the right time gets it.

Honestly both options are good with the DD2 now including a 5 year warranty on pre-orders I’m actually more inclined to go for that as it shows they have confidence which is all I wanted confirmation of.

Upvote 0

Now this is a bit of damage control, but boy is this more like it also, definitely going for a DD1 if I can get it.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

If anyone could explain what exactly I can get for 500 Euro more with DD2.
Slightly more of already unneeded power?
They should at least include rim at that price.

Upvote 0
My goodness this is so much better than the first attempt. Better in every way, so much more useful information. Good job...this time!!

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Guess preorder numbers were less than impressive for this to happen. Perhaps even too aggressive move to grab market attention.
Waiting for reviews regardless.

Upvote 0
Bidding starts at $1 with $5 increments. Bid as many times as you want. Amazon servers.

https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/582#Item_23012
Ah, that makes more sense. Cheers.
I still think every single auction will be won at $/€/£950. There will be many more than 100 people camping on their laptops and chasing that $/€/£50 discount.

Do Fanatec take the money at preorder stage or on dispatch with these DD wheels?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know yet if the Podium wheels can be front mounted, and if the bolt pattern is the same standard as for OSW? I've got a Sim Lab P1 with front mount and wouldn't really welcome the expense of having to buy a wheel deck. Maybe flipping the front mount through 90 degrees would work..?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know yet if the Podium wheels can be front mounted, and if the bolt pattern is the same standard as for OSW? I've got a Sim Lab P1 with front mount and wouldn't really welcome the expense of having to buy a wheel deck. Maybe flipping the front mount through 90 degrees would work..?

Don’t know if it’s the same pattern but the Podium has bolt points on front, side and bottom, as for the attaching it to the P1 even if it doesn’t work with the front mount you could get the wheel deck as it is supposed to be compatible as the Podium is supposed to have the same 3 point pattern as the CSW wheel bases.

Sorry, half asleep and misread about buying the wheel deck, give Sim Labs an email, see if they know.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea