Fanatec Podium wheel - dated for 13th July 2018

Lol, looks like some lucky Aussies might have bagged a Podium wheel for $1 because... you guessed it, Fanatec servers shitting the bed.

Others won at $411 and $651, again seemingly because the website imploded.

https://auction.fanatec.com/fbid/0/1065/en

Who at Fanatec ever thought this would be a good idea? Their servers can't cope with heavy traffic, that's a fundamental fact proven every product launch and every Black Friday.

Upvote 0
Lol, looks like some lucky Aussies might have bagged a Podium wheel for $1 because... you guessed it, Fanatec servers shitting the bed.

Others won at $411 and $651, again seemingly because the website imploded.

https://auction.fanatec.com/fbid/0/1065/en

Who at Fanatec ever thought this would be a good idea? Their servers can't cope with heavy traffic, that's a fundamental fact proven every product launch and every Black Friday.
Another one just went for $1, I knew those Aussies would get great deals because it’s just not as popular out there same as the US Black Friday sales but here in Europe that **** sells out in seconds :mad:!

Upvote 0
Another one just went for $1, I knew those Aussies would get great deals because it’s just not as popular out there same as the US Black Friday sales but here in Europe that **** sells out in seconds :mad:!
I wonder if any of those one-dollar wins will be honoured, or even if they are even consumer bids in the first place? Maybe the auction starts at $1 by default and nobody has been able to bid at all?

The $411 and $651 wins should be honoured I guess, unless Fanatec cry foul due to server crashes.

This auction thing was an absolutely terrible idea from the start. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the whole idea gets canned before it even makes it to Europe or the USA.

Upvote 0
The auction only starts when someone bids and then stops if nobody else bids after 90s. I watched it for about 15mins earlier and nobody bid so you could easily have got another one for $1 and in the grand scheme of things even just 10 almost free wheels is only going to be what €5000 to Fanatec which is nothing to them but good publicity.

It’s why they started with Oz first I reckon as they knew less people would be on it and drum up even more interest in the other continent auctions.

I’d be pissed though if I was that guy who paid $1500 but that’s what you get for being impatient.

Upvote 0
The auction only starts when someone bids and then stops if nobody else bids after 90s. I watched it for about 15mins earlier and nobody bid so you could easily have got another one for $1 and in the grand scheme of things even just 10 almost free wheels is only going to be what €5000 to Fanatec which is nothing to them but good publicity.

It’s why they started with Oz first I reckon as they knew less people would be on it and drum up even more interest in the other continent auctions.

I’d be pissed though if I was that guy who paid $1500 but that’s what you get for being impatient.
I don't know, something smells like a dead dingo here. We know Australia is a barren Mad Max-style dustbowl with no infrastructure (I joke, I joke - I used to live there!) but there are plenty of sim racers down under who would be all over these auctions, especially with the ridiculous markups they normally have to suffer with European imports. There's zero chance that only one person is actively bidding on the whole of that continent at any one time... isn't there?

@AntoN_CheZ: wake the hell up and get clicking son!

Upvote 0
Haha I'm not participating in that circus and there is NO way I am getting out of bed for it if it's over night. I 'know' the guy that got a $1 bid. He's part of one of my Aussie groups that I now race with. Yep, I finally started racing with actual people and it's fun as!

Upvote 0
Haha I'm not participating in that circus and there is NO way I am getting out of bed for it if it's over night. I 'know' the guy that got a $1 bid. He's part of one of my Aussie groups that I now race with. Yep, I finally started racing with actual people and it's fun as!
Wow, so those are genuine $1 wins? That's crazy. I'd be up all night bagging as many as I could then handing them out to sick children like some philanthropic sim-racing messiah.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if they are going to honour it or not, but it would be pretty scummy to first hold a scummy auction and then when you cock it up, not honour the bid. Nothing would surprise me at this point, however.

Upvote 0
I think it’s only one per customer but I assure you @Mascot the equivalent EU one will all sell at full price within 5mins just like our Xmas deals except those had random percentage cutoffs at least.

Too many countries in Europe filled with nutters that will keep wasting their time bidding even if only for a 1% discount!

Is it only one bid per person per auction again?

@AntoN_CheZ What are you doing, get in on it, look how many are selling for $1! It only lasts 90s once someone has bid, do it man!!!!! They are selling 100 and only at 24, get your **** together and buy it :O_o:.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thomas wrote on the iRacing forum that the auction was ended early. He made it sound like the auctions that were close to 1500 Aud were successful. I'm not sure of the others.

Although he did write: "All units were sold below the RRP and most auctions ended regularly after there was no bid placed within 90 seconds."

So who knows.

Upvote 0
@AntoN_CheZ if you get one for a dollar I will give you $5 for it. That's FIVE DOLLARS. 500% profit. A FIVE TIMES return on your investment. (I think that's right - I was off when we did maths).
Deal? Deal.

(you pay postage).

Upvote 0
Haha I get all the hysteria over this but honestly I couldn't care less. I have no interest in one and I am too busy to worry about nabbing one under RRP to sell off later. I was probably a little harsh with the above comment. The revised stream that Thomas did informed people that there was a cut off in regards to the amount people could bid on the wheel bases. That was a good thing. At first it seemed that they wanted to cash in on the hype but it would have been such a small amount of money compared to what the business generates that the bad PR that would have come with it (or did come with it, until they corrected it) was in no way worth it.

Hopefully these things are worth the wait. I reckon they will be. Anyone reckon we could score a new $10,000 Nvidia RTX GPU for a dollar, too? What a disgrace the graphics card market has become. $1199 USD for a graphics card pre order and NOT A SINGLE BENCHMARK compared to current gen cards. I think I might buy another 1080Ti used so Nvidia don't get anymore of my money and I still get better performance than what the 2080Ti will provide.

If only VR supported SLI. I wonder if the Pimax 8K that I have on the way will be different in that regard?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back