Fanatec Podium wheel - dated for 13th July 2018

I have angered you once again.

Actually, I find it rather amusing how cranky or serious some of you are with this whole topic or why its so important for some that have DD wheels already to even care if these turn out to be good or bad.

Those commenting about presumed negatives, be it firstly the motor performance, build quality, warranty, quick release. How many comments do the same people make about the potential positives or benefits the product brings. Each user may be different to what appeals to them.

To my knowledge, nobody here has tried the finalised product and has user experience of it? The thread is not about "other" direct drive wheels, we already know how good they are

Yet, some people have waited and may continue to wait until these are released and properly tested/reviewed before they commit to buying whatever wheel they feel is the best option for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, I find it rather amusing how cranky or serious some of you are with this whole topic or why its so important for some that have DD wheels already to even care if these turn out to be good or bad.

Those commenting about presumed negatives, be it firstly the motor performance, build quality, warranty, quick release. How many comments do the same people make about the potential positives or benefits the product brings. Each user may be different to what appeals to them.

To my knowledge, nobody here has tried the finalised product and has user experience of it? The thread is not about "other" direct drive wheels, we already know how good they are

Yet, some people have waited and may continue to wait until these are released and properly tested/reviewed before they commit to buying whatever wheel they feel is the best option for them.

I am seeing things a bit differently than you are. I dont see a lot of questioning of the unit itself. Most will agree it is "probably" going to be very good. However the presentation, the auction, the huge wait we have had, and the overall price is very much in question to varying degrees of importance to to different people.

The reason current DD systems are being brought up is because all we have is numbers from Fanatec so that is all we have to compare to systems available now and I do not see a problem comparing them since that is all we have.

Upvote 0
Oh, but we are a passionate lot! :D

My .02 cents:

I have no problem with the pricing on the DD2. I see it targeted for the pro/prosumer market. They've spent a ton of time and money building this thing from the ground up. They are a company in this to make money. Who do you think ultimately pays for R&D?

Personally, I have my eyes set on the DD1. I'm interested in fidelity, easy installation and using my Fanatec wheel and retain all features. From what I hear from other DD owners, the power offered by the DD1 is plenty.

The auction? meh. Doesn't bother me. I'll tune in and participate if I can (I remember having trouble with their holiday auctions). If I can get one of these for, say, $500 or less then, to me, it's worth a gamble. I highly doubt that will happen and this will sell for a lot more but, hey, ya never know.

I also have no problem with the warranty structure. Two year standard on the DD1? I see that as pretty impressive. It isn't typical for companies to offer extended warranties - common place with re-sellers.

Oh, and the live stream? Yeah - low grade and corny. I think they were trying to pull off a certain style/feel but didn't really work. Still offered useful info. Doesn't sway me one way or the other. All I care about is the wheelbase.

Upvote 0
Yeah, if the DD1 torque figures are accurate, that should be plenty for the majority of people and if the TBD fixed price is near the AccuForce, it could be a very attractive alternative - and a no-brainer for those who already have Fanatec gear.

On the other hand, there are a few guys building custom OSW's that use motors capable of up to 60nm of torque (not that they use it all). :confused:

Upvote 0
Why have they redesigned the QR (and why is it so clunky, lol)?
Don't they have faith in their current QR?

I've had very little trouble with their original CSW QR. This is both on the standard CSW V2, and 2.5 base and also the OSW conversion kit. The only problem I have is a little trouble getting the GT3 rim OFF, it's quite tight. They do offer the screw, but after my first few sessions over 2 years ago when I first got it, I never felt the need to put it on.

That DSD story is actually pretty familiar. I too had the same short and sharp response and I was an actual customer. 2 button boxes with the CSW mount. Did not fill me with confidence, that's for sure. I am a business owner and as such, I always compare what I would do with the treatment I get as a customer. We're not perfect, but we always try even when something is not really our problem. If people come to me for something, they are not going somewhere else. I like to keep it that way.

Upvote 0
Yeah, if the DD1 torque figures are accurate, that should be plenty for the majority of people and if the TBD fixed price is near the AccuForce, it could be a very attractive alternative - and a no-brainer for those who already have Fanatec gear.

On the other hand, there are a few guys building custom OSW's that use motors capable of up to 60nm of torque (not that they use it all). :confused:
Not even IndyCars whitout power steering reach 60Nm, V8SC can reach 35Nm i think i read it somewhere but if you are going to use 1:1FFB prepare to start training like a real driver:roflmao:

Upvote 0
I've had very little trouble with their original CSW QR. This is both on the standard CSW V2, and 2.5 base and also the OSW conversion kit. The only problem I have is a little trouble getting the GT3 rim OFF, it's quite tight. They do offer the screw, but after my first few sessions over 2 years ago when I first got it, I never felt the need to put it on.

That DSD story is actually pretty familiar. I too had the same short and sharp response and I was an actual customer. 2 button boxes with the CSW mount. Did not fill me with confidence, that's for sure. I am a business owner and as such, I always compare what I would do with the treatment I get as a customer. We're not perfect, but we always try even when something is not really our problem. If people come to me for something, they are not going somewhere else. I like to keep it that way.
They obviously aren’t entirely happy with it and know not all the community will be either as they specifically say there will be a new optional QR on the website which I’m assuming will be much better and more in line with other high end QR’s. It takes too much effort to get them locked on/off fully and having had that locking pin get permanently jammed on my V2 I’m still pissed they use such crap screws/inserts.

I’ve had issues with the screws on every Fanatec product I’ve bought out of the box other than the handbrake where things wouldn’t lock down properly. The damper on the V3 I could only get one screw in, I had to get a longer stainless steel one to grip properly, same story when mounting the shifter except I used better screws but still wouldn’t grip properly on their aluminium inserts.

I think they should just ditch the soft Aluminium crap and go with hardened stainless steel to avoid such issues because none of my other gear has the same issue!

Anyway rant over, I’ve actually had good experience with Fanatec support myself but I wasn’t needing anything repaired, it’s the stories you see online when people do which worry me.

Upvote 0
I’ve had issues with the screws on every Fanatec product I’ve bought out of the box other than the handbrake where things wouldn’t lock down properly.
Funny you should say that Furnace...!!

I recently had a PCB hold-down screw inside my BMW Wheel back out and short out something inside, in turn, taking out the wheel's PIC micro-controller.

I contacted Fanatec to see if I could PURCHASE a new board (or even just a programmed PIC uC) given it was 4 years since I bought it and out of warranty (albeit with very little use as I tended to use my F1 wheel). They said they don't carry these spares for this wheel effectively turning my $400 wheel into just a nice looking paperweight.

I therefore find it 'interesting' that Fanatec would offer an extra 2 years warranty for $500AUD on this wheelbase.

Fanatec%20BS.jpg

The fact it's (yet again) another pre-order also wouldn't sit well with me either as I ponied up for the McLaren GT3 wheel in November last year only for the delivery to be bumped TWICE. Once due to some 'electronic issue' and the second time due to some shipping issue for ALL Australia customers. In short, this meant it turned a 3 month pre-order into a 6-month affair.

I've had other issues with Fanatec stuff - my V1 pedal load cell (x2) and electronics (I'm running a Bodnar board now) and intermittent shifter (it's in the bin).. so maybe I'm just unlucky, but I'm kinda done with them.

I wish those luck that are happy to wait for the pre-order or willing to spend $2.5K AUD on a wheelbase (+ $500 AUD on an extended warranty). I truly hope it's everything people are expecting and look forward to the reviews...!!

At the end of the day, I wrote my own code, programmed up a PIC micro-controller and got my wheel working again. I also built my own OSW for $1400AUD (a $1,100 saving over the Podium..!!) and moving away from my reliance on anything Fanatec.

Upvote 0
I was the same with the GT3 rim. Who knows when the DD2 will actually make it to Aussie shores. I'd be willing to bet at least a month after US and EU customers begin to receive theirs.

My pre built OSW cost me less than that, even with the shipping, conversion rates, import duties AND the Fanatec QR adapter. Granted I did need to buy the conversion kit from SimRacingMachines to be able to use the button boxes on my Fanatec rims which probably bumps the price up to about even.

I hope it's a good product. What good comes from a new product failing just because you pulled the trigger on something else a little earlier? Doesn't make your purchase any better in the end. It's just another option to add competition.

Upvote 0
Assuming it reviews well I might warm to it once the DD1 auction nonsense is out of the way and it's available to actually order in a gimmick-free way, but the presentation did more harm than good from my perspective. It turned an eagerly-anticipated product into something somewhat less desirable. I'm still currently associating the Podium wheel with an amateurish sales pitch and a bizarre publicity stunt, but I guess that feeling will fade over time. Good reviews will go a long way to getting me back on board.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Speaking of reviews. Where are they?
I would assume if the product is good, it is in the best interest of Fanatec to get some fame by sending it to Barry Rowland from SimRacingGarage.

Upvote 0
Speaking of reviews. Where are they?
I would assume if the product is good, it is in the best interest of Fanatec to get some fame by sending it to Barry Rowland from SimRacingGarage.
It possibly only exists in prototype form right now. We might not see reviews until much closer to launch.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Taking preorders on a single unfinished prototype, classy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
They probably got a whiff of what the consensus was from fans and decided that for those that had not already seen it, it wasn't beneficial to leave it available to view. I would guess they would take some time to do a proper presentation, since they have time before it comes out and hype in the relevant circles is already pretty high.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back