Fanatec Podium wheel - dated for 13th July 2018

Don't think I am going to have to worry about it. WOW. I was thinking twice as much as the CSW 2.5:O_o:

Upvote 0
I wonder what the mounting bolt pattern is? I'm not getting one at launch, but hopefully it'll be compatible with their old mount pattern.
It uses the same 3 bolt pattern as other Fanatec wheel bases. I'd like to know the exact dimensions, as this is shaped quite differently from the other bases.

EDIT: Under "Packaging Details" on their site they list it as follows:
Size (L x W x H) : 51.00cm x 26.00cm x 28.00cm
OMG!! This thing is HUGE!!! I could never even begin to bolt it to my Obutto. Maybe (hopefully) they are listing the size of the box it comes in. Otherwise this is a deal-breaker for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, that was a bit awkward with some Eurovision style cheesiness.

Although some interesting elements shared regards the performance in the graphs and the software options look neat. Plug n play, with settings from the developers for the wheel is also something I think lots of people may appreciate. I love also the idea of keeping rims wireless.

I presume the SimX wheel is the one they made reference to (hybrid stepper) and the other the most expensive on the market a (Bodner)? So if the charts are accurate it will be interesting to see how these perform to the current options in "real usage" but looks rather promising.

This thread as others clearly has had some people (with current DD options) writing off the potential of these wheelbases. For some that have been waiting, they may not want to wait much longer to get into DD type wheel. Yet it does look like these indeed should be great wheels to own with the benefits they bring over the current DD wheels available.

Auction idea will generate interest for the cheaper wheel but its clear that can only be for a limited period. I guess they want to see themselves what price-points people will pay to be early adopters.

Its not going to please everybody but it looks like the (less expensive wheel) is going to be an excellent option.

This is a bit more professional than the live stream, I really dig the software and new LED screens...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what we can see right now, the Podium series bases look as though they will fit pretty nicely into the DD market. Pricing the DD1 in AccuForce v2 territory seems likely and the fact that they lowered the price of the CSW v2.5 supports that imo.

The cost of components, R&D and other overhead have me thinking that the DD-wheel prices are likely to stay long-term albeit, with the occasional special reduced sale offer. These are not mass-market items like so many common electronics and a high-quality servo motor can cost more than both the DD1 & DD2 systems combined.

My hope is that the addition of the Fanatec DD-wheels brings more features and improvements to the DD-wheel offerings as a whole and improve the support for the robust hardware as being worth game-developers time and effort with more effective custom profiles and settings. Fanatec is better positioned to do that than any other Sim-hardware company.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

If the quality is there and wheel works at least no worse than Simucube/Mige with latest encoder.
Just one more option to the list of DD solutions.
I don't see it being as robust as OSW though, QR alone with rubber grommet is laughable, but we'll see.

Upvote 0
It uses the same 3 bolt pattern as other Fanatec wheel bases. I'd like to know the exact dimensions, as this is shaped quite differently from the other bases.

I can’t find the information on this, from the website it seems to suggest it only has mounting points on side and front, not on the bottom?

I have a Sim Labs P1 rig on the way and I picked the Wheel Deck rather than the Front Mount option with it as I have a Fanatec V2 right now, but on the Sim Labs site it says the Wheel Deck mount supports the Fanatec Direct Drive bases and they have had that on there for some time but this simply isn’t possible if the base doesn’t have points on the bottom so would like to know this.

Upvote 0
I can’t find the information on this, from the website it seems to suggest it only has mounting points on side and front, not on the bottom?

I have a Sim Labs P1 rig on the way and I picked the Wheel Deck rather than the Front Mount option with it as I have a Fanatec V2 right now, but on the Sim Labs site it says the Wheel Deck mount supports the Fanatec Direct Drive bases and they have had that on there for some time but this simply isn’t possible if the base doesn’t have points on the bottom so would like to know this.
From one of the videos, it appears there are mounting holes on the bottom of the base as well.

Upvote 0
PS4 Official Licensed Product option will be the DD1 wheelbase with the new F1 partnered Rim
Unlike the DD1 "Wheel Base Only" This is not an "auction" based purchase, however, no date or price for release has yet been given.

The Direct Drive revolution comes to PS4. Take your racing experience to the ultimate level with Fanatec Direct Drive technology. Our partnership with Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe means that the Podium Racing Wheel works seamlessly with all PS4™ and PS4™ Pro consoles.

A main potential benefit for some, perhaps will be that this is the first Direct Drive based wheel that will support PC, XB1 and PS4.

Here

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On the site it says it offers standard CSW 3 hole mount so not an issue.

I am bothered by the fact they bother to take cheap shots calling out the use of Chinese industrial motors like it’s a problem, especially funny as they outsource manufacturing to China rather than just focusing on their own product.

Graphs are also a little silly for what they are showing, using motor acceleration as a metric is meaningless because the others are purposely limited so that they don’t spin at unrealistic, ridiculous speeds that no car would, let loose they can spin much, much faster than the 350RPM they say there’s can.

I’ll be waiting for the review from Barry on SimRacingGarage I think and a few other trustworthy reviewers that know their stuff.

I’m curious about the wording of some things though, he was very specific in how he said best consumer wheel, is the Bodnar a consumer wheel, I’m not sure it is and is actually a professional wheel?

That QR also sucked, a screw mechanism to tighten it (infinitely better than the pin at least!) which looked like effort to get on/off, I really like the Accuforce one which literally just pops on/off and locks with no effort. Will look forward to seeing what the new optional QR looks like, hopefully something actually automotive grade unlike their claims of the current one as I did suspect using the same system would hold it back. Wouldn’t mind paying extra for a decent one.

Price was too high IMO but if their performance target is the Bodnar and they can deliver I could get on board of that. Will need to see if the software can do the same as the Accuforce though and take telemetry data to give decent FFB from games with poor FFB like Dirt Rally.

Only other concern why are they charging €300 for an extra 2 years warranty. If it’s bulletproof and designed well like the industrial motors they should put their money where their mouth is a give a 5 year warranty as standard IMO.

I’d probably pre-order if they charged on dispatch rather than straight away, I’m not giving away £1600 to wait at least 5 months for the product!

Upvote 0
I don't want to malign their product, but...
1) The presentation was simply the most unprofessional I have ever seen. Cameras with frighteningly poor image quality, a completely unprepared presenter, a second presenter who stood there for optical reasons, 1000 "uh"...
2) The price for the DD2 model: Seriously?! about 1800€ for a base with a wheel... wow!
3) The idea of the auction is just stupid and not necessary at all for my taste and ultimately a cheap way to push up the price of the device. In general I would have thought about the DD1, but at the auction I'm out.

Upvote 0
I've also got a P1 and have front-mounted my CSWv2.5 to the front mount plate just like my CSR-E before it. There are holes drilled in the front mount precisely for it. I think Sim Labs refer to the CSW wheels, not the Podium. Fanatec don't officially endorse fixing the CSW by front mount but it works absolutely fine through the thick aluminium faceplate.

Upvote 0
I have to say I am extremely disappointed in Fanatec right now. From the very first reveal to this fiasco it has been one let down to the next. Five months until they even ship these, and the cost is quite a bit higher than I think is should be plus the time frame since the big reveal last September this whole thing has been one big disconnect after another with me.

Upvote 0
Looks to be a well thought out design. My concerns would be around the wireless reliability, longevity and effectiveness vs industrial grade, high precision equipment such as the Mige/KM servo motors.

Upvote 0
I’m noticing a lot of negativity towards this product before it’s even out, we don’t know how it will feel and perform compared to other DD wheels out there, it might not be as good, or it might be better, it certainly has a better range of features. The only explanation I can think of is people have either already got a DD wheel and are feeling a little nervous about their purchase or are being a bit snobbish thinking this couldn’t possibly be as good as what they have, or maybe the waiting has gotten a bit much.

I don’t know but I’m certainly feeling it, as for the price, the more powerful DD2 is about the price I expected. I’m not sure about this auction for the DD1 though, if I could get one for less than a 1000 I’d be happy but not sure how it’s going to go.

Upvote 0
I've also got a P1 and have front-mounted my CSWv2.5 to the front mount plate just like my CSR-E before it. There are holes drilled in the front mount precisely for it. I think Sim Labs refer to the CSW wheels, not the Podium. Fanatec don't officially endorse fixing the CSW by front mount but it works absolutely fine through the thick aluminium faceplate.

Yeah I know, I saw pictures of someone who did it, I’m fine with the Wheel Deck honestly, just glad I don’t have to do anything or spend more money if I get a Podium.

Upvote 0
the negativity is because of the BS auction for one thing on the dd1 and for dd2 they take your money and 6 months later you MIGHT get it...but fanatec never hits ship dates so it's typical

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 143 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 271 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing