F1 2018 Modding Questions Thread

Anyone have any idea what's going on.. My custom helmet is all fine and everything is right except when the camera moves far enough the design changes into the original design. It's annoying in replays when it's my design and then it changes into the original when the car is far enough.

Anyone have any idea what's going on.. My custom helmet is all fine and everything is right except when the camera moves far enough the design changes into the original design. It's annoying in replays when it's my design and then it changes into the original when the car is far enough.
Seems like you've only had the mipmaps edited and not the texture itself

Seems like you've only had the mipmaps edited and not the texture itself
Do you know what causes that? I edited the helmet and replaced another helmet and now it works as should. Same design far and near.

Also another question. Does anyone know if it's possible to have for example blue visor WITHOUT any see through effect? I have tried playing with the spec file but even painting the visor white in the spec file doesn't work. Only time I have successfully gotten an mirror finish on the visor is if the visor texture is white also on the texture file (d) itself.

Do you know what causes that? I edited the helmet and replaced another helmet and now it works as should. Same design far and near.

Also another question. Does anyone know if it's possible to have for example blue visor WITHOUT any see through effect? I have tried playing with the spec file but even painting the visor white in the spec file doesn't work. Only time I have successfully gotten an mirror finish on the visor is if the visor texture is white also on the texture file (d) itself.
I don't know about the visor but maybe a game update could cause the other issue. I remember I used to have some similar issue on F1 2016 when I hadn't updated the _s file but I suspect it'd be more about like a game update resetting the erp but not the minimaps

Hey mates, how u guys doing? Well, as I decide to stick with Renault for one more season, I thought It woud be nice to make a different car... And, As I'm loving the Force India onbord, I pick the chassis of then.
But there's a issue... This freaking white parts on the car. I change preatty much every file I found equal, and as it keeps beeing white, I really don't know what I should do. Is this a game limitation, or I can found a way to fix it? Please help!!

Attachments

• 20181001192838_1.jpg
    20181001192838_1.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 20181001192830_1.jpg
    20181001192830_1.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 241
Hey mates, how u guys doing? Well, as I decide to stick with Renault for one more season, I thought It woud be nice to make a different car... And, As I'm loving the Force India onbord, I pick the chassis of then.
But there's a issue... This freaking white parts on the car. I change preatty much every file I found equal, and as it keeps beeing white, I really don't know what I should do. Is this a game limitation, or I can found a way to fix it? Please help!!
looks like haven't used a black background when saving the decal to me.

Please help!!

Maybe you already know this but in the "paint" files there are sections of the car that have less pixels than others along with parts that overlap eachother. So you might be trying to add white to one part of the car, the file will put it on other parts at the same time automatically. That looks like what's happening to your car.

The top of the sidepod for all the cars I've opened almost never has enough pixels to handle more than a solid color. The best way to troubleshoot this is to work with the 3D templates on here. Open the 3D file in Photoshop, click open the "paint" sub layer. Add a blank layer to that .psb file then go back to the 3D file and using the brush and a neon/bright color put a dot on a part of the car you want to work with. Moving between both files you'll start to see which parts are "linked" and what's possible. (Make sure you save your work on the 3D file, as it has a tendency to crash Photoshop)

Unfortunately you have to lower your expectations b/c these skins are so terrible to mod. Recoloring existing designs and changing decals is really all that's possible, better than nothing I guess. Maybe adding new designs is doable but it would have to stay within the "larger" more detailed parts of the skin otherwise it won't look good enough. Based on your photos you're really close to something that works.

Maybe you already know this but in the "paint" files there are sections of the car that have less pixels than others along with parts that overlap eachother. So you might be trying to add white to one part of the car, the file will put it on other parts at the same time automatically. That looks like what's happening to your car.

The top of the sidepod for all the cars I've opened almost never has enough pixels to handle more than a solid color. The best way to troubleshoot this is to work with the 3D templates on here. Open the 3D file in Photoshop, click open the "paint" sub layer. Add a blank layer to that .psb file then go back to the 3D file and using the brush and a neon/bright color put a dot on a part of the car you want to work with. Moving between both files you'll start to see which parts are "linked" and what's possible. (Make sure you save your work on the 3D file, as it has a tendency to crash Photoshop)

Unfortunately you have to lower your expectations b/c these skins are so terrible to mod. Recoloring existing designs and changing decals is really all that's possible, better than nothing I guess. Maybe adding new designs is doable but it would have to stay within the "larger" more detailed parts of the skin otherwise it won't look good enough. Based on your photos you're really close to something that works.
based on the suspension being white you can determine that it's an issue of overlapping the carbon materials in the game as well, which is only really possible on the decal (not on the paint) so I find it unlikely that it's a paint file design issue

First, thanks for all the replies! I didn't used any white on the paint, so I don't think it might had did it. For the decals, I saved with the black background... but I think I know the solution... I'll try to change some stuff here... If it works, I show it up!! c:

Fixed!! Just a trouble with the decal... Thanks guys!!
Another question... Should I post it up to downloads?

Attachments

• 20181002141351_1.jpg
    20181002141351_1.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 20181002141330_1.jpg
    20181002141330_1.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 251
HUD question here. Is there any way to do the following:
1. Put the TV Cam HUD on the Cockpit cam
AND/OR
2. When in Cockpit prevent the MFD from minimizing itself after a steering wheel "shortcut" button adjustment to either Fuel Mix or ERS. Really distracting.

Hi, i've made a post recently and sadly no one answered me so i just ask my question again. I hope you don't mind ^^"
I wanted to know if it was possible to change the color of the teams on the ui.
Like on this screenshot :
jQaRge
(The link : https://ibb.co/jQaRge ,just in case the image doesn't show)
I looked by myself in the game files but I didn't find anything sadly. So if someone could help me, i would really appreciate ^^
Thanks in advance :)

All good day or evening!!! I have a question, I started to take a career for Toro Rosso and made the helmet, but how to achieve the matte color of the helmet in the game, please help!!! What colors should be used for a matte shade?? Thanks in advance! All good!

Anyone know how to make matt colors for cars?
You have to edit the paint_d file and the paint_s file. (Names are approximations).
On _d I would have a color idea in mind and make it a little "darker" visually
On _s I would start with the red bull _s file and match it colorwise first, test it out in-game and then adjust to your liking.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back