F1 2018 Modding Questions Thread

why not just swap the sounds in the carmodel file, or even swap the audio files. Then just raise the pitch on the engine a bit in a hex editor

That doesn't work properly anymore. I showed this twice before, but listen to what happens on downshifts since patch 1.05 with pitch-shifted engine BDLs:
WTF happened here? The only workaround I found for pitch-shifting engine sounds now is to alter the rev range to where the rev limiter is set to whatever RPM you want (17000RPM, in my case), move the engine splines higher up the rev range, move engine friction higher up the rev range and alter the gearbox ratio, but in the doing so, the shift lights don't follow. They still activate at 11500RPM and I am absolutely unable to figure out how to change this. Questions about altering the activation of the shift lights have gone unanswered and everything I tried has failed. It seems to me Codemasters were peeved at us finding the byte that pitch-shifts engine sounds and deliberately introduced this really bizzare downshift where it sounds like the engine gets stuck at the actual rev limit when pitch-shifted before immediately going back to the correct pitch.

You also need to alter the external audio for the cars as the V6 sounds will remain on the replay camera with absolutely no hint of whatever engine BDL file you swapped out. That needs to be done in each car's ERP file in the carmodel data.

Guys, do you know how to swap chassis between teams? I've tried a couple of times but my games always crashes or doesn't load at all. if you have a guide or something I'll be very thankful

Guys, do you know how to swap chassis between teams? I've tried a couple of times but my games always crashes or doesn't load at all. if you have a guide or something I'll be very thankful

You need to open the (Carname)-carmodel.layer.json file from the ERP PKG Files. I use notepad++ to open. Around line 70 - 75 you'll find a heading "Model" and below it two sub headings "Mat BInding" and "Model"

You need to replace the part in quote marks to the line from the same file of the chassis that you want. after that you need to make sure the textures you use are for the chassis you've selected or you'll just end up with a bunch of mis-matched decals and textures.

Hi. Can someone remind me which program I need to download so I can edit text files? Want to change drivers names and stuff for Career Mode. Also, is it possible to change the names of the drivers in the classic races, as I might change that to F2, GP3 and some retired drivers.

Hi. Can someone remind me which program I need to download so I can edit text files? Want to change drivers names and stuff for Career Mode. Also, is it possible to change the names of the drivers in the classic races, as I might change that to F2, GP3 and some retired drivers.

EGO Language Editor is the programme you're looking for.

If you write down the names of the drivers of classic cars in the events, then you'll be able to change the, in the same file.

You need to open the (Carname)-carmodel.layer.json file from the ERP PKG Files. I use notepad++ to open. Around line 70 - 75 you'll find a heading "Model" and below it two sub headings "Mat BInding" and "Model"

You need to replace the part in quote marks to the line from the same file of the chassis that you want. after that you need to make sure the textures you use are for the chassis you've selected or you'll just end up with a bunch of mis-matched decals and textures.
thanks man

Is it possible to have a Schuberth helmet model, for example the model Sainz uses,at Ferrari?
you can only change in the car. in the video after the race helmet model will not change
edit incardriver.scene.xml:
<scene name="kimi_raikkonen">
<part instanceParamCount="9" id="DriverSpecific" mesh="eaid://character_package/drivers/male/2018-renault_carlos_sainz-jr/idf/carlos_sainz-jr" connectjoint="COPY" />

you can only change in the car. in the video after the race helmet model will not change
edit incardriver.scene.xml:
<scene name="kimi_raikkonen">
<part instanceParamCount="9" id="DriverSpecific" mesh="eaid://character_package/drivers/male/2018-renault_carlos_sainz-jr/idf/carlos_sainz-jr" connectjoint="COPY" />
it's all in different xml files but I'm pretty sure you can change the cutscene one as well

You're welcome, just to add - because I don't think my reply makes complete sense.

Don't change the line with the subheading "Mat Binding" - Only the subheading "Model"
But I must be doing something wrong, i changed only the Model one using notepad++ but the game still crashes, I cant find a solution, btw i want change the mercedes model with the fom_car.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.