DiRT 5 DiRT 5 Announced - Launch Scheduled For October

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
All has become clear as Codemasters confirm their new off road racing title is... DiRT 5!

Yes, the teaser has become an announcement, with Codies confirming the fifth instalment of their DiRT franchise is in the works and expected to launch towards the end of the year.

China_4W.jpg

The full press release:

DIRT 5’s global journey takes in some of the most thrilling, exotic, and picturesque settings such as New York City and Rio de Janeiro alongside challenging events in remote areas of Greece and China. Players will experience the thrill of in-your-face extreme racing in a variety of vehicle classes from buggies, unlimited trucks, and rock bouncers to traditional and modern rally cars.

The expansive narrative-driven Career is bigger in every way with event types and challenges across some of the toughest terrain. Before hitting the track, get creative using the livery editor, with more customisation options than any previous DIRT game. DIRT 5 features a non-linear progression path, so players can choose more of the events they want.

DIRT 5 heralds the return of split-screen for up to four players. The full list of game modes will be announced shortly, including a new game mode focused on creativity and designed for social couch play with friends or global online battles against the best racers in the DIRT universe.

DIRT 5 also boasts a roster of voice talent led by the iconic Nolan North and Troy Baker. Together, and in their unique style, the dynamic duo guide and mentor players through the Career mode and feature in the DIRT in-game podcast series, including the voice talents of other celebrities from the worlds of racing and gaming.

“As a studio, we are big fans of DiRT 2 and 3. This game is our homage: a bigger, amplified DIRT off-road experience in a setting that is alive, challenging and fun,” said Robert Karp, DIRT 5 Development Director at Codemasters. “Whether you want to compete against the AI on some of the world’s most challenging environments or play a four-player split-screen game with your friends, DIRT 5 has you covered.”​
DiRT 5 will be available October 2020 on the Xbox and PlaStation family of consoles and PC, with Google Stadia to follow.

Keep your eye out in the DiRT 5 sub forum here at RD - a perfect place to discuss the game.

New_York_1W.jpg
Norway_2W.jpg
Norway_6W.jpg

Last edited:
I think it would've been beneficial to have separated them further, or given these kind of DiRT titles a second name as well. Like Forza Motorsport/Horizon.
DiRT Rally, DiRT Something would separate it more while still keeping the DiRT-franchise name.

Agreed. Dirt Rally drivers know this is an arcade game, but many Dirt players will get super confused, possibly even buy a Dirt Rally title and not bother with this because they rage quit and threw their gamepad across the room. They should call it Dirt Festival, or Dirt Universe or something like that.

So much weird speculation here It is EGO engine, says so in the trademark in the last seconds. SMS acquisition was far too recently for them to already use the engine.
Of course it has influences from Motortorm, Codies bought the studio / remaining staff after all. And DiRT 2 arguably did the 'festival' stuff first, before Forza Horizon did it, in that sense it's not copied, just back to the roots

So ironic.

Codies take on Motorstorm, Gravel (anyone remember the Milestone title?), V-Rally 4 (remember?) and Forza Horizon. Just put in a DiRT setting.

I did. Gravel was actually pretty good when I bought it a few weeks ago on a sale. Probably the best arcade rally physics out there and the ffb and wheel support was quite nice and painless. If Dirt 5 is just that with more budget and Codies flair, it'll be a solid game. The structure of the career mode was very very stupid, though and the car unlock system almost kills the game.

I've seen so many people outside of our simbubble clamoring for a true sequel to Dirt 3. Y'all need to get some perspective--I have a feeling this game will do quite well outside of us.

So much weird speculation here It is EGO engine, says so in the trademark in the last seconds. SMS acquisition was far too recently for them to already use the engine.
Of course it has influences from Motortorm, Codies bought the studio / remaining staff after all. And DiRT 2 arguably did the 'festival' stuff first, before Forza Horizon did it, in that sense it's not copied, just back to the roots

No matter what it's called, pretty sure it's the same engine as with OnRush. Just the fact that DiRT will have a photo mode for the first time is a big hint.

A big meh.

Forza Horizon 5 might actually be an interesting arcade title, if they improve the FFB. (I can accept arcade just fine, as long as it's tolerable with a wheel). FH4 was technically and content-wise so brilliant, that on the arcade front it is years ahead anything that Codepasters has ever done/shown on trailer.

And "in your face" driving? Wreckfest wants to have a word with you

Yes, if you want fun with some decent physics involved Wreckfest wees all over anything Codies have done since Dirt 2. You will never have more fun in a racing game. Although be warned it can be massively frustrating also

After Looking at a youtube video showing all the DIRT series, seems the graphics gets better in each new one that comes out. I do have DIRT 4 and use Vorpx to get the 3D effect with my headset - but it is not true VR. Also, I am more into the regular racing games so any Rally games are just to try/view the cars and interesting Rally tracks/stages and I dont put allot of time and effort into them.

Being a preferred VR user, it is hard to jump into one of these DIRT series games when I have Dirt Rally 1 and 2 that does have VR. I have Nothing against games on a regular display, I also have many of those.

Watching the trailer, it does kind of look like a off Road Grid type game than a Rally. We shall see when more videos con it come out.

I will wait till the release of DIRT 5 and then view the video reviews on the game by some of you. If it has something unique that the previous Rally games are missing, I may decide to get the game sometime.

Last edited:
Probably because everyone here thinks every single racing game HAS to be a sim when in reality they dont you can have loads of fun in games that arent sims. GRID, for instance, was a decent game. But just can't please some people.

Amen Brother.... so many guys here trash almost every game that is announced, it's so darn frustrating. Never nothing good to say.

I for one enjoyed Forza 4, GT5, as well as GTR2, DR/DR2, iRacing, and many others. Now grant it Dirt 4 was a turnoff but mostly due to redundant courses.

Can you guys just not wish the guys well and say, I'm not sure this is for me, but it looks like they may have a promising game for the right audience. I for one wish them the best... so they remain in business so they can continue the DR series and F1 series.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.