DiRT 5 Announced - Launch Scheduled For October

Chris Down

Assetto Corsa Staff
Staff
Premium
Jun 28, 2017
Something about some of the replies to this thread really rubs me the wrong way. I'm really baffled why people feel they need to signal how "adult" they are by declaring certain games as "for kids" just because they aren't intended to be a every-millimeter-mapped-to-precision simulation.

I remember how much I enjoyed DiRT and DiRT 2 years ago, and that enjoyment doesn't come at the cost of not being able to appreciate or drive fast when driving in a more granular simulation either. Both are different and unique products and comparing them based on something one never claimed to be is not a good measurement of anything. They have different niches they are trying to fill, different audiences, and it's really immature to try to show how grown up and cool one is by slagging other racing games off.

We're all here racing pretend racing cars with no G forces or real physical effort: you're not more cool or advanced just because you happen to race in a pretend racing car that's marginally closer to reality. Enjoy what you enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy without feeling you have the need to rub it in their face that you snobbishly only race in "proper" sims.

Sim racing elitism is a lose-lose strategy for everyone in the long run.

Last edited:

milord37

25RPM
Jan 7, 2017
Hi Chris, I agree with you: everyone is free to choose! Arcade, Semi-Arcade, Sim.
In fact, Codemasters does his games for those who like them without worrying too much about whether they are arcade or sim.
I do not agree with you when you say that playing sim games is a long-term loser strategy.
iRacing, rFactor, AC and ACC, these are on the market since many years, and they also seem to be very profitable.

Chris Down

Assetto Corsa Staff
Staff
Premium
Jun 28, 2017
I do not agree with you when you say that playing sim games is a long-term loser strategy.
That's not what I said :)

What I said is that elitism in sim racing is a lose-lose strategy, as in "belittling anyone who chooses to play a non-sim racing game".

2020-05-11_135109_415764886.png

Alex Harkett

100RPM
Premium
Oct 3, 2013
This will probably be a laugh when i'm horizontal on my sofa with my PS5. I won't be counting the days 'til release however.

Durge Driven

1000RPM
Jun 17, 2017
Something about some of the replies to this thread really rubs me the wrong way.
You kidding go read some of the rF2 threads :roflmao:

Why is it that people think they know what you should be driving

Respect all opinions and stop dissing everything

RD is getting bad name from small group that troll

Alex72

1000RPM
Jan 28, 2014
Why did they tease this in a cryptic way? What possible reason could there ever be to cryptic tease a series that never stopped in the first place? I expect "Dirt 73" when im around 80 years old or so.