DiRT 5 DiRT 5 Announced - Launch Scheduled For October

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
All has become clear as Codemasters confirm their new off road racing title is... DiRT 5!

Yes, the teaser has become an announcement, with Codies confirming the fifth instalment of their DiRT franchise is in the works and expected to launch towards the end of the year.

China_4W.jpg

The full press release:

DIRT 5’s global journey takes in some of the most thrilling, exotic, and picturesque settings such as New York City and Rio de Janeiro alongside challenging events in remote areas of Greece and China. Players will experience the thrill of in-your-face extreme racing in a variety of vehicle classes from buggies, unlimited trucks, and rock bouncers to traditional and modern rally cars.

The expansive narrative-driven Career is bigger in every way with event types and challenges across some of the toughest terrain. Before hitting the track, get creative using the livery editor, with more customisation options than any previous DIRT game. DIRT 5 features a non-linear progression path, so players can choose more of the events they want.

DIRT 5 heralds the return of split-screen for up to four players. The full list of game modes will be announced shortly, including a new game mode focused on creativity and designed for social couch play with friends or global online battles against the best racers in the DIRT universe.

DIRT 5 also boasts a roster of voice talent led by the iconic Nolan North and Troy Baker. Together, and in their unique style, the dynamic duo guide and mentor players through the Career mode and feature in the DIRT in-game podcast series, including the voice talents of other celebrities from the worlds of racing and gaming.

“As a studio, we are big fans of DiRT 2 and 3. This game is our homage: a bigger, amplified DIRT off-road experience in a setting that is alive, challenging and fun,” said Robert Karp, DIRT 5 Development Director at Codemasters. “Whether you want to compete against the AI on some of the world’s most challenging environments or play a four-player split-screen game with your friends, DIRT 5 has you covered.”​
DiRT 5 will be available October 2020 on the Xbox and PlaStation family of consoles and PC, with Google Stadia to follow.

Keep your eye out in the DiRT 5 sub forum here at RD - a perfect place to discuss the game.

New_York_1W.jpg
Norway_2W.jpg
Norway_6W.jpg

Last edited:
Codies doing what they do best. Shooting themselves on the foot... Wonder why their market research team is still employed...
Do they even have such a team? I'll openly admit, I highly doubt that. These guys should check the steam forum, or even the codies forum from time to time, and I guess after three or four years of angry comments about "racenet down again" or "I lost my progress for the day because racenet syncing" even a little less talented researcher should come to the conclusion, there's an action point to work on. As much as non saveable replays, such a shame, these can be epic sometimes just to be lost.

Latest from Dirt 5

Standard Edition Pricing €99. Comes with 3 tracks and 5 cars
Deluxe Edition Pricing €129. As standard but with 3 extra liveries and 5 time trial events
Season pass 1 €20. 2 Tracks and 3 Cars
Season pass 2 €20. 10 extra race events
Season pass 3 €25. 5 new cars and one new track
Season pass 4 €20. 30 new events based on season pass 3
Season pass 5 €15. 1 new track and career booster.

Fast forward one year

GOTY edition including all previously released content €40

That remark is just so unfair and untrue. Jeez

Imagine be in charge of a large studio with major assets and resources at your finger tips, a insane marketing team with global reach,
and this is the best they can come up with seriously ?

Well, even though that one most likely is not going to be on my personal shopping list unless highly discounted, they do cater to different crowds, and while it may be received luke warm or less in the simracing circle, it might get to be a hit on console if it works well with controller, where still a lot more copies can be sold then on PC. Getting back to split stream could be a lot of fun on a big TV with a few friends and some beers. So for them it might make perfect sense, while it is a bit of a let down for the simracing guys.

It reminds me of Showdown. I liked this title, excepting that it doesn't support recent wheels sets (what a shame the masters of code do not dedicate an employee to fix all the compatibility issues with their old games).

It was a different and fun experience. Not everything has to be a sim. Dirt 5 seems to be some kind of sequel. Why not?

Is there a difference between the Dirt series and the Dirt Rally series?

It would seem so this time. Last time out with D4 it was pitched as more rally with extras akin to D3. D5 seems to be more along the lines of Motorstorm, Wreckfest, more actiony.

If they're looking for an audience, they might find it by going the route of the two aforementioned games if it's quality and they don't instantly turn people away with a bloated DLC model before they establish a playerbase.

As a separate entity something like this is fine, id buy it in a heart beat if I could experience it in VR, it'd be madness!

I loved Dirt 2 and played through several times, even tho' I hated the Dude Bro' commentary ... I guess that was about 10 years ago it came out.

Sorry to say every Dirt game since then (except Rally titles) went downhill.

I don't know how I feel about this. It was clear that the numbered DiRT series was the arcadey take, which is not bad, I've enjoyed all of them, and DiRT 2 made me buy a PS3 (way back in the day), but this just feels like Milestone's Gravel with a little bit higher budget in it. Past DiRT tittles had a mix of everything, from rally and rallycross to Bajas and Landrush (which wasn't my favourite, but hey, trashing Trophy Trucks wasn't all that bad), and to this day DiRT 2 and 3 are my first take when I feel tired of the "serious" approach of DiRT Rally.
Some people have mentioned that this game have serious DiRT 2 vibes, and I'm sorry but I do not find any of that at all. Well, I know it's just a short trailer and they may show something more in coming months, but it just feels like what they did with the latest GRID, a bunch of city circuits and some short of "rallycross" with any car you have at hand...

To me it sounds like a Dirt Showdown 2.0 I really would like a new Grid game or something like TOCA Race Driver 3. The career mode was really fun. The DTM class was the last time I drove a DTM car.

They will simply use models made for the last game DR2 and chuck them in here, they did the same with Dirt 4 and DR2 in terms of models and locations and it will be the same here.

You have to expect companies to do this now.

As sadly as punters most of you will buy it anyway, so they don't really need to try do they.

There is nothing wrong with reusing good content.

If you are not raising the bar, it does not matter if you use the same car model or track. Of course as a customer you would hope that smart reuse will allow developers to spend time on important things like improved gameplay etc. Of course selling rehash as dlc content does not count as such.

I actually enjoy Forza Horizon 4 - my kids even more, but I don’t think DiRT 5 is going to be a game for me, at least not outside the bargain bin.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 353 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%