Community Question | Slow vs Fast

In most cases the slower the cars the better the online racing becomes.

That doesn't mean you can't have outstanding races with brutal Formula 1 cars and such but you need an ace quality level of drivers in your session around you, which isn't always the case.

I take a good MX5/Mini/Touring Car race over a F1/GT/LMP race for sure.

Attachments

• bandicam 2020-11-24 07-43-44-240.jpg
    bandicam 2020-11-24 07-43-44-240.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 62
Prefer non aerodynamic cars. I like a Skippy or even a full blown early F1 car. As to the second part of the question, just at least for now racing against the AI.
So slower cars seem closer, but you can still fall behind pretty quickly even If you just miss one corner, because its so hard to make up the time.

Reading this as "Do you prefer F1 Ferrari or F1 Merc when racing?" and being red fan + having more fun in close races with slower cars, there was only one answer for me.
Still think that how close results are, correct answer is all of them. :thumbsup:

10-15 years ago I always wanted the fast cars but Assetto Corsa taught me to also like and pay attention to the older/slower (street) cars.

So to answer the question: both.
It's good to have choices.

Like a lot of people, both.

Depends on:
  • I like to run F1 the week before the actual F1 races
  • Some tracks are more fun with slower cars than others
  • New cars are released on steam and it is fun to try them (i.e. ACC GT4's)
  • Someone puts out a cool Youtube video that inspires me to run what they were running

Still a DFGT, so that may be the culprit - thank you!
One of my friends has a dfgt. He actually prefers it over my old g27 due to the smaller deadzone and less clunking.
Only issue being the kinda high friction and low turning speed when rallying.

It's a good wheel, especially for the price!!

Increased resistance due to aero isn't really noticeable though, sadly

Yes. In fact I do that quite frequently on classic F1 cars with actual H-shifter, ranging from 1950ies up to start 1990ies. That's a thrill, even for a +12 year old GTR2 F1 1995 Renault-Elf on old Imola for a full GP distance.
But I think that was not what you ment. H-pattern for modern F1 seems...unsuitable :D
Yes agree, the classic F1 cars are great with H-Pattern and Clutch :thumbsup::thumbsup:....modern F1, as you say...unsuitable :D....but fun to try :geek::rolleyes::roflmao:

In slow cars I (for sure) smile all race long, in fast cars I (maybe) smile after the race.
I had the most fun in slow cars. I remember with real pleasure some races in 2CV (this is for sure a slow car) at Oulton. Amazing. And all races I had here with HistorX club :inlove:. Thank you guys for a beautiful time.

Generally I'll drive slow or fast cars as long as they have low to no aero, but if I had to choose, I'd prefer slower cars.
I usually don't have to fight slower cars as much as fast ones, which gives me better opportunity to fight the enemy.

I'll go slow because I enjoy the closeness of the racing. In a slow car you can devote so much more concentration on the race and not so much on keeping the car on the track.
I dislike F1 and all it's trickery but I'll quite happy in formula 3. Put the fast guys in the slow cars and it brings them back to the field a bit. I race with a guy that likes his fast cars and he will always be a second or two ahead of the pack and wins most times and I wonder what enjoyment is in finishing a race and basically hot lapping yourself.
Put him in a front wheel drive 150hp car and he comes back to the field and that's not saying he still doesn't win but its more of a fight to do so.
Yes it can fun tearing around the track at a million miles an hour but how many of those races are clean without any mishaps.

Bit of a tricky one - I am really interested in the fast cars, but I struggle more with driving/racing them. Sometimes I can't keep up with the car, or have trouble managing the power and spin if I sneeze at the wrong time. Sure that's on me to "get better" and to be fair I don't spend a lot of time with F1 types. Also if it's something like an F1 car there's more things to manage like DRS, KERS, fuel maps, etc. which gets compounded by the higher speeds. They're awesome, but kind of a lot of "work".

I race completely offline, and spend most of my time in RF2. My favorite cars are probably GTE and GT3, they're still very "cool" and fast but not insanely so - BUT I'd say the best racing I've had vs AI (at least in RF2) has been with the USF2000 and Tatuus F4. Quick enough to be fun but not really a concern about the car getting away from me (it still happens but usually only if I really mess up), I'm more comfortable to push harder in them and just seem to have mostly really good races with them (once the AI settings for a given track get sorted out). They're also simpler with less variables to manage throughout a race or even lap by lap, just anti-roll bars and maybe brake bias I think - which I usually don't anyway. So, I just drive and concentrate on my lines and references.

I used to do a little bit of kart racing, mostly "arrive-and-drive" endurance events where the race organizer brought all the karts and equipment and you just pay your fee, show up with your team, and race (a few of them were run by Johan Schwartz, who does pro touring car racing). The karts only had a top speed of around 50 - 60 mph I think - but it didn't matter, on a kart track racing wheel to wheel with people it felt like 150, it was a total blast.

The funny thing too is in reality, I'd bet if most of us who don't race in real life ever got the chance to drive an F4 car it would be the fastest thing we'd ever experienced. Unless you've had the chance to wring out something like a modern(ish) Corvette, Porsche, or something more exotic on a track big enough run up past 3rd gear (or on public roads going way faster than is wise). But, on a road course without a straight long enough for big power to knock down lap time I bet an F4 car would lap faster than most road spec "super cars".

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back