Community Question | Slow vs Fast

Define "slow". A 458 is SLOW compared to a LaFerrari. You have to define "slow" with a horsepower figure otherwise i can easily say than i prefer SLOW cars, like the a 458, R8, 911 etc.

Possibly a little common sense is needed. I think most people, although I am aware this is the internet, would understand what is meant by slow (ie. not a 458). And if you really want to be a pedant, power to weight ratios and aerodynamics come into play, not just horsepower!

It has already been said above, but for close fun racing, slow cars win hands down.

My own measure is that GT3's are about the "middle ground". Anything slower is "slow", anything faster is "fast".

For me, fast cars are fun to drive, slow(er) cars are fun to race. There's a difference.

You can safely get and stay closer to other cars in "slow" classes, accidents and shunts cost less, and they're more accessible to sim-racers of all levels which allows for more inclusive racing and larger grids. Slower classes tend to be used for multiple shorter sprint races instead of one long race too, which is like a big fat "reset" button for those who do have an incident rather than their whole evening being spoilt.

So yeah... for racing, my choice is slower cars.
Whilst I while heartily agree with what you said about racing I voted fast just because racing drivers want faster all the time

I do love gt3 cars, and ever since getting ACC I've been trying to put in some time to improve there, but the BTCC and TCR cars are the ones I've had the most fun in, by far..huge credit to Shaun Clarke for the amazing mods. BTCC also runs on some really great tracks. That quick right-left at Croft always keeps me on edge!

I like cars no matter how fast or slow they are, but one thing I like is working my way up to the faster cars through a progression system, like how Forza or Gran Turismo do their campaign/career modes. I can't drive a car in real life, so the closest I'll ever get to driving one is with video games. The closest I'll get to seeing a car in real life is sitting in one.

I prefer slower cars in races with humans to keep the races close, but anything with h-pattern/clutch and none of that DRS/TCS/ABS nonsense works just fine for me :)

I keep telling myself that I need to spend more time working on fundamentals in something like a GT4. However, my most "fun" has been with GT1, GT3, and GTE class vehicles. So, I guess my heart with with fast and my head is with slow(er).

In sim: Slow car = fast and competitive races / fast cars = bump and under-driven races

The car speed must upscale at the same proportion of drivers skills.

And I will tell something that I don't want to be offensive, but most virtual drivers are way under GT3 level. D4mmit! Even most of real GT3 drivers are under their cars level. If you are watching a race (virtual or real) and the drivers are not glued by less than a meter from each other, and there are a lot of mistakes, them they are under their car level.

Most of us, virtual drivers, are at most on level with 50cc kart, Miata Cup or some entry level open wheel. And I do this stuff (virtual leagues) since 2009... not being modest, just realist.

I was about to say something similar to this, as is evidenced by many saying GT3 is “fast”...not that I think a GT3 is an Abarth, but GT3 in my eyes is more a medium speed car (albeit on the upper end of that)...decent top speed sure, but still needs a bit of coaxing through some corners, compared to the aerodynamic monsters that are the real fast cars, where reflexes need to be lightning fast and precise and trust that the car will hold. Not many of us are that fast, precise and consistent enough to handle that for an hour or more (and many more don't even try) based on several years of observation, so lap times are usually all over the place and thus, not the best wheel to wheel racing. Not to mention lag can play a big role in ruining those races when running close to someone at those speeds. (Please note: I'm not saying I can handle the fast cars either!)

A truly fast car in my eyes should be able to lap Spa in no more than 2 mins flat IRL; only F1, LMP1, LMP2's (barely) and theoretically Indycars could pull this off to my knowledge.

Last edited:
There is also a difference between a fast one - for example, I don't like the new F1, but I like the new DTM.

But still slow cars also demand maximum performance - WTCR, MINI Challenge UK.

I can't say that I'm a fan of the GT3 - it's just that in simracing this class is the most common and obviously the most balanced. In my opinion, the Porsche CUP is much more interesting - no TC/ABS, driving specificity and the minimum possibility of setting up the suspension - is perfect.

It's a pity that DTM is now GT3.

Last edited:
It depends. What are we talking about ? A Gr. N car is slow compared to F1. Or are we talking Fiat Panda slow ?

I like driving slower cars in general but it can become tedious to drive a slow car on a track like Le Mans or Nordschleife with laptimes approaching 15 mins plus.

But in my opinion you learn driving much better with slower cars. You need to drive very clean to achieve good and constant lap times

I'm not too bothered about slow vs fast, but I do enjoy driving cars that move around. So, ideally, low/no downforce and RWD, but how fast I am going whilst struggling to keep control is almost irrelevant to me :)

Slow, generally as I like to drive using manual H-Pattern with Clutch :)...ever tried driving an F1 car using manual H-Pattern with clutch :confused:, holy shite, I can't think that fast:rolleyes::redface::roflmao::roflmao:

Yes. In fact I do that quite frequently on classic F1 cars with actual H-shifter, ranging from 1950ies up to start 1990ies. That's a thrill, even for a +12 year old GTR2 F1 1995 Renault-Elf on old Imola for a full GP distance.
But I think that was not what you ment. H-pattern for modern F1 seems...unsuitable :D

Last edited:
Depends quite on the quality of the mod and if I'm just cruising a classic car alone to try and get the authentic sensations or if it's for time attack mode or if it's for a close battle.
So I think my answer will be
1: For crusing classic cars with purpose of snipping the authentic feeling: Slow cars
2: Time attack: Mostly fast cars
3: Close battle: Slow cars, mostly. However classic F1 cars with H-shifter and heel&toe, I prefer those kind of fast cars.

Last edited:
Fast GTs, slow formula's. The brakes of fast Formulas make it hard to nail the braking point so I prefer those slower, because they usually have 'worse' brakes. Gives you a bit more time, trying to nail the 70m brake point works better when doing 200 than when doing 340, on top of quickly turning in.

Fast GTs because I otherwise feel like not moving forward at all :D and their brake distance is way longer so you have more time to nail that sweet spot and prepare for the turn.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Forum trophies