Community Question | Slow vs Fast

In sim: Slow car = fast and competitive races / fast cars = bump and under-driven races

The car speed must upscale at the same proportion of drivers skills.

And I will tell something that I don't want to be offensive, but most virtual drivers are way under GT3 level. D4mmit! Even most of real GT3 drivers are under their cars level. If you are watching a race (virtual or real) and the drivers are not glued by less than a meter from each other, and there are a lot of mistakes, them they are under their car level.

Most of us, virtual drivers, are at most on level with 50cc kart, Miata Cup or some entry level open wheel. And I do this stuff (virtual leagues) since 2009... not being modest, just realist.

I think it's more a matter of car+track. Slower cars to me need shorter, narrower or twistier tracks where you're not sitting with the gas pedal floored all the time.
I was so on the fence about this question although I answered fast because I lean towards 'faster' cars. I think really the answer is both.

What you said really says it best but I think there are exceptions when it comes to me. There is something I love about taking a slow car that has no business being on a really large, fast track like the Nordschleife. For example some of the most fun I've had on Assetto Corsa was on some trackday servers driving with slow cars in a group, think Miata, Abarth and AE86 all in a group. On the other hand I love that feeling of the car barely hanging on because you're trying to get all that power down on a fast circuit. I think really my love is with cars that have ample power but require a bit of sliding around, that's what I really love the most.

Not sure what you're calling "slow" and "fast" here. My most fun races have been in touring cars ( AC's old DTM cars specifically ) & vintage cars, they're slow relative to F1 but really quick relative to Fiat 500s :p. But no I won't race F1 cars or LMP1s.

Very much enjoying an ACC league right now but even those are still slow relative to the top end.

Jugulator: being 1m off the bumper of a car ahead is fine if everyone's ping is under 30ms...

Last edited:
The slower the car the more fun and close the racing. The perfect car for racing for me would be something ford cortina. Rwd to make it more exciting, low grip to make the car dance and low power to make slipstreams inescapable. That being said those cars are generally not that fun to drive if you don't happen to have people near you in the race. Practice is also sort of dull. So a modern alternative is the mx5 or similarly powered fwd car. Great fun and enough speed to make it fun to drive alone too. Any vintage touring or muscle car is a guaranteed hotspot of fun as well.

That being said I think my favourite cars in sims to drive and race are porsches. The rwd handling combined with the boat anchor swinging goodness just never disappoints. And the cup version cars are not too quick so you can still race hard and speed differences between drivers don't grow out of hand. All the vintage stuff is just amazing.

Slower cars - better racing.
I also dislike modern, hard and precise machines, in games of course, IRL I fell in love with KTM X-bow and track modified STI. In sims I love heavy focus on weight transfer, soft suspnsions, high profile tires that require you to send the car to achieve good lap times... I want this. TBH I love old cars IRL too. I want as much budget road cars in sims as possible. I need kei cars. I need Subaru Vivio RX-RA on rally stage in simracing.

Last edited:
Slow or fast is not relevant to me. If it is for practicing for real live racing, it should be as close as possible to the real one. If it is for fun, close racing were all drivers involved are able very well in control of their vehicle and as fast as everybody else so close racing from start to end is possible is the important goal, not if this is slow or fast. And a lot of times less grip (if everybody has the same level of grip) is more fun than more grip.

Slow and Fast are pretty vague terms I think. Someone who prefers racing F1 or LMP would probably consider GT2/3 to be slow, while a person who race GT3 would consider GT4 or lower to be slow.

Personally, my favourite speed range are race cars like GT1-3 that reach about 300km/h max on a circuit. I do also like driving GT4 and slower occasionally but I'd consider myself someone who prefers fast cars in this poll.

For racing my favorites are the gt3s. To hotlap, lately I like the 2020 formula hybrid mod, which I recommend to all those who like to ride with modern F1

For my part, I'm having a great time on the F1 cars of the 60s, it's both slow and fast and the slightest impact is synonymous with the end.

After all, as with everything, I don't know if it's adrenaline, I like to alternate the different categories.

Define "slow". A 458 is SLOW compared to a LaFerrari. You have to define "slow" with a horsepower figure otherwise i can easily say than i prefer SLOW cars, like the a 458, R8, 911 etc.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 233 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.3%