Community Question | Slow vs Fast

Touring car racing, the pinnacle of competitiveness ... (btcc 1992 final):confused::confused:

Current f1 .... top of technology .... (and some excitement in the first race of the year, when you don't know who will be the champion, .... until the first race ends and you already know who will be the champion )
(sorry ... I'm unfair the current f1, mainly the lower part has very entertaining fights)

more important than speed, ... is fun, and that is achieved by keeping the cars close to each other. (less aero, closer)

Faster.
But I agree that slower cars provide a better racing experience, in general. Specially when it comes to online racing, where faster cars (such as F1s) might seem overly-twitchy and its movement seems non-natural.

I dare anyone who thinks slow cars aren't fun to do AE86 racing on assetto corsa's C1's loop. Bonus if listening eurobeat on the background. Its a new type of feeling.

My favorites are gt1, gt2, prototypes, lmps, indycars, 70s, 80s, 90s F1s, group 5, old gts, can am... I assume I like fast cars but some old cars are slow against slow modern cars. Which is faster? Group 5 or gt3? I'm pretty sure i
The answer changes in a straight line and on a citcuit.

SOMEone is lying because how are the votes so close but when i look for online racing in ac theres nothing but race cars? like gt3, gt2, formula. i want a varied field of street cars but the only servers running that are "track day" practice servers. or drifting.

I rarely venture online, and when I do; I pick something well within my ability to control. So slow it is.

The good - I always feel as if I have a chance.

The bad - That gap in front of me never gets narrower, it only widens.

The ugly - I'm the one who's most likely to spin out or, venture off into the foliage.

In racing slower end, which btw does not mean a pedal car but close racing. When im alone wanting to experience something fast i usually go for older fast cars because they are so much more alive and fun rather than laser beam focus style driving. I think older cars feels better in sims. The new ones have so much systems and millions of variables that i think is hard to simulate properly. Just my 2c. :)

Last edited:
I prefer fast cars, more specifically LMP are my favorite cars to drive! That Endurance pack for RFactor 2 is really good.

I'd much prefer both slow and fast BUT in one race as a multiclass race. Multiclass racing is my fav too. Its a shame we can't run these type of events more often probably due to people understandably having doubts of the faster class guys lapping "safely" and the slower class guys sticking to the "racing line." But the more we do, even with slower cars at first like GT4/GT3 or Mazda MX5/Touring cars... And special events for the LMP/GT3 stuff? Just ideas, I'm still signing up for races here when I can.

But sadly, not much is available here at RD. The one they run in the RF2 club goes on about every other week. But sadly I too work that day every other week, but I still much enjoy the GT3 events on my every other friday off work no doubt!

For me it's simply 'feel'. It can be something as 'slow' as a Segio Loro formula junior car in AC or as fast as a Porsche 911 GT2 RS Clubsport in Raceroom. A world of difference but I love how both feel in their respective sims.

Sometimes I just don't 'get' a car and I can't figure out the puzzle of how to drive them fast. The 1970s F1 cars in AMS2 for example.

Group C and early nineties F1. Those cars were brutal, fast, and relatively easy to drive. They were like a super fast road car, and that is why I can relate to them.

In racing slower end, which btw does not mean a pedal car but close racing. When im alone wanting to experience something fast i usually go for older fast cars because they are so much more alive and fun rather than laser beam focus style driving. I think older cars feels better in sims. The new ones have so much systems and millions of variables that i think is hard to simulate properly. Just my 2c. :)

Sim racing pedal cars. Hmm... You may be on to something. For someone like myself who could stand top lose a pound or two, I'd enjoy a good pedal car race. I wonder if Peloton has a set of bicycle pedals able to be connected to a 80/20 rig? Who am I kidding, of course they do.

Now who could make some pedal car mods in Assetto Corsa?

Last edited:
Yeah, tbh some cars can be too slow for fast tracks. That 85hp Formula Junior isn't as fun at Silverstone as it is at Cadwell Park.
You have to change the mental approach. FJ at Silverstone becomes a drafting strategy game whereas the FJ at Cadwell Park game is threading a needle (ignoring that, in period, FJ would likely have run the Club course rather than the full course).

Last edited:
The question of the day is..... do you prefer the slow or fast end of the spectrum when sim racing?

Sounds like an obvious question doesn't it - SPEED! However, often times the breakneck performance of a high-powered racing machine isn't always the best combination for bringing about some on track racing action - leaving many of us to preference less ultimate performance in exchange for greater close racing opportunities with your rivals.

So my question today is one of slow vs fast, and specifically what end of the spectrum does your preferences fall when racing against either the AI, or online servers?

Over to you!

View attachment 413787
I just like racing overall, i dont really care, but i think LMPs and touring cars are really fun to drive thanks to the grip they have, but they still provide a challenge. With street cars you just avoid loosing speed, and overtakes usually arent as exciting

Fast cars that react fast!
I prefer the light F1 cars, but in order to be as good as possible in them and to be in general a good driver, you need to learn at slow speed and with a wide variety of cars.
If I had a choice I would always drive with the 600kg F1 cars, I love the F1 cars from the 2000s, they were just incredible machines... My all time favorites are the Ferrari F2008 and the McLaren MP4/4.
But my skillset is lacking in certain areas and I want to be as adaptable as possible, so I drive cars that I don't actually like in order to learn to adapt asap.
From the slow cars, touring cars are lots of fun to race... but I don't like the modern heavy street legal GTs, they're like fat old ladies, GT4s are the same... GT3 are great, especially the stiff McLarens, but I guess most people race with them just because they're the race versions of dream cars.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back