Automobilista 2 | Update 0.8.2.0 Is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios continue working hard on the journey to version 1.0 of Automobilista 2, recently releasing the second major public build update for the sim.

Build 0.8.2.0 is the culmination of multiple beta hotfix and build releases over the last few days, and should mark a significant step forward in both the way the vehicles within the sim behave, as well as the the current intelligence of the AI drivers within the title.

On the content front, version 0.8.2.0 also adds new layouts for both Snetterton and Velocittá, as well as an historic variant of the centrepiece Interlargos circuit and a first pass at the new photo mode within the game.

Automobilista 2 Version 0.8.2.0 Update Notes:

IMPORTANT
: In order to ensure you completely reset your build to the latest changes, it´s strongly recommended to delete your MyDocs/Automobilista 2 settings folder and start anew - make sure to callibrate your controller, and that your pedals are callibrated to the complete 1-100 range (some users have reported needing to callibrate pedals twice for it to register - we´re still investigating it).

CONTENT
  • Added Snetterton 100 layout
  • Added Velocittá CD layout
  • Added Interlagos Historic External Ring layout

GENERAL
  • Further updates to rain spray (longer life, draw distance, smaller from front wheels)
  • Reduced threshold for track limit penalties (still subject to further tuning)

UI / HUD
  • Implemented initial version of in-game Photo Mode
  • Added back Random Weather option
  • Added vehicle statistics to track loading screen
  • Updated car class colour definitions & added short class name icons
  • Multiplayer Browser: Player count corrected to sort numerically instead of alphabetically; fixed incorrect
  • Lobby Screen: Fixed activation of "Invite" button; added class and vehicle name to driver table column headings; fixed private/password icon showing for all servers
  • Removed redundant session time acceleration button from Multiplayer monitor screen

PHYSICS
  • Corrected error in fast damper rates incorrectly applying to cars without 2-stage damping (resulting in overall incorrect or altogether broken dampers in some cases)
  • Updated semi-slick treads on various Caterhams for more accurate performance on a wet track
  • Adjusted carcass load stiffness for F-Vee / Copa Fusca / F-Uno / Copa Truck / F-Classic / F-Trainer / F3 / P4 tyres
  • Removed excessive rolling resistance from wet tarmac & concrete (AI & player)
  • Further revised MRX aero, suspension rates & default setup
  • Adjusted ideal temperature ranges in several compounds (correcting sizeable errors in P4, F-Classic Gen1 tyres
  • Fixed wrong tread width on F-Vee front tyre
  • Fixed F-Classic Gen3 Model1 7th gear
  • Updated rental kart physics (narrower track, rear tyres)
  • Applied Balance of Performance for cars in P3 class

AI
  • Implemented new AI Aggression logic
  • Fixed AI suspension rate issue that could cause AI cars to vibrate violently
  • Slightly Increased AI smoothness when moving laterally (both calm and urgent) & AI simplied tyre peak slip angle, combining to slightly more natural changes of direction

TRACKS
  • Interlagos Historic: Complete art pass
  • Incremental art passe to Oulton Park, Spielberg
  • Updated night lights & fixed flags for Brands Hatch, Imola, Goiania
  • Added period-accurate night lighting to historical tracks
  • Updated Kansai trackside cameras

VEHICLES
  • Copa Uno: Added missing lower LODs
  • ARC Camaro: Full field livery update
  • F-Classic:Fixed needle vertex AO, mirror material on LODs of G1M!; Added rear light to G1M2, G2M3; Fixed gearshift lever animation for G3M3
  • Updated wet and inter tyre textures for F-Classics & F-V12
  • Caterhams: Fixed carbon material
  • Roco 001: Fixed gearstick animation
  • Sprintrace: Added windscreen reflection, corrected drift gearshift animation (paddles instead of sequential
  • AJR: Added Tubarão #5 2020 Chevy V8 livery; added chrome parts to v
  • F-Reiza: fixed duplicated livery
  • F-V12: Added new Community Skins
  • F-Ultimate: Updated liveries for Reiza / Milano / Groove teams (logos/materials)

AI & PHYSICS UPDATES

This build features some major physics and AI improvements - it is recommended to reset your setups and AI Aggression setting.

On the AI side, the AI Aggression system has been completely revamped, changing the way the AI evaluates passing opportunities and how that blends with the AI Aggression setting - 50-70% is a good starting point, with 100% almost sure to result in at least some AI-to-AI crashes.

The AI performance range has also been adjusted but as overall callibration is still in progress you may still observe inconsistencies against player performance as you go from class to class and through different sessions and weather conditions - this should be evolving consistently as we progress through Early Access. AI performance on the run-down to the 1st corner and generally over the first lap likewise will still be callibrated further in upcoming builds.

On the physics side, the biggest change is the addressing of an error that was causing fast dampers not to be disabled in cars that didn´t have suspensions with 2-stage damping (pretty much all cars in the game except the F-V10, F-Reiza, F-Ultimate and SuperV8) - this effectively meant dampers would not work right at certain speeds or were broken altogether, fixing this has gone a long way towards rectifying some of the handling anomalities reported since Beta began. While not all will have substantial handling differences, pretty much every car is worth revisiting with this update.

One of the positive side-effects of this correction is that Force Feedback may feel better / more consistent than before, as a result of the suspension now working properly (rather than development of the FFB system per se).

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now on Steam Early Access.

Need help making the most from the sim? Head to the RaceDepartment Automobilista 2 sub forum and post a question for our awesome community, who will be more than happy to help you out!

AMS 2 Update 8.2 - 1.jpg

Last edited:
There's definitely something screwey about AMS2 steering ratio calculation for each car then because the Camaro isn't twitchy at all in my setup. In fact its a joy to drive. But, I had all sorts of issues calibrating my wheel initially (CSWv1@900deg) in order for AMS2 to recognise the correct rotation when wheel is held at 90 degrees (Should show as 900). It took me 4 frustrating attempts before the game seemed to get it right.
Well, it's definitely not a calibration issue in my case. Every other car I've tried feels perfectly fine, and the numbers are correct in the calibration sequence. The steering lock is also at default in the setup screen, which isn't even that high. Really weird. I'll have another play tomorrow, maybe try reinstalling, because I don't remember it being like this the first time I drove it some time ago.

Can we reset the AI and how to do this ?
I'm not sure what you mean by "reset". The only control we have over the AI are those in-game, to adjust their level and aggression. Put those back where they were when you installed and they're "reset". As far as I'm aware there isn't any adaptive AI features in AMS 2 like in R3E.

My main problems are with 3 cars. Arc camaro/sc brazil and v8s.

1- arc camaro: very twitchy for me (even with 14 steering lock in game garage) comparing to all other cars

2- sc brazil: strange physics , too twitchy too. It s like having a balloon between the suspension and the wheel

3- v8’s: for me the worst experience so far. Just like sc brazil but worse feeling. Too twitchy too (in fact in garage settings there is no steering lock option)

I use a 570 dor calibrated (g27) wheel. Also karts are unplayable for me

Has anyone else facing this?

The Stock Car is very throttle sensitive at default setup, also not great under brakes but that is to be expected imo.

I tried AMS2 yesterday for the first time, for 1 hour. I only play hardcore sims and didn't like PC at the time. My go to sim is AC, I sometimes launch ACC (not GT3 fan) and RF2 (no online outside leagues) too.

-AI: I don't do AI so I won't comment

-Physics: the most important item for me, above ffb, I was expecting worse, reading the different reviews and it's not too bad.
I only tried a few cars, catheram, some 80's F1, old and modern Brazil Stock Cars, Sprint car. Some behaviours indeed felt more polished than others but overall it is pretty encouraging and not that far off some other hardcore sims.
I am not good at describing the feels, but basically I found that the transition on lateral grip-no grip could be better, as now it is a bit too much on/off, let's say the speed at which the grip comes back does not feel too natural. When I had to counter wheel to catch a rear slide, I could catch it with a too slow counter. It should be faster, imo.
Can this be improved over time, we'll see. Didn't really experience this pivotal thing described here.

-Audio: ok, not great but less bad than it sounds on YT videos.

-Visuals: pretty good, at least for me. Not on the level of ACC but still good enough. Tracks lack a bit of details though.

-FFB on G27: potential is here, haven't played too much with the settings, I set up upfront following some post here on RD (60/80/40). The main issue was that I didn't feel connected to the road. I can see the ffb forces at work, but in a way, when I am on straight lines, at speed, making slight wheel corrections will bring very little feel. On typical turns, mid-speed, no issues.
I don't worry too much on this and believe Reiza will polish it overtime.

-VR/rift: pretty good, didn't tune anything. I didn't like the shadows though, too blurry, a bit like AC in VR. Almost everything was working out of the box in VR.

-Bugs: the main one I can report is in multiplayer, from the online menu, selecting a server, but not joining. If I press back to return to the online list of servers, it instead sends me back to the home game menu. A bit annoying when you don't play AI :)

-Overall it feels to me it might not be the all around hardcore sim experience provided by some other titles, but still offers a fun experience to drive on different kinds of combos. Not sure it could become my go to sim and overpass AC with CM+Sol. But it does offer weather and possibly dirt at some point so will see how it evolves.
Also, online for me is mostly AC (RF2 half dead and ACC is great but laggy and GT3), so AMS2 will give me more choice and variety to race online, when I am bored of the never-ending online AC combos Nord/all cars or Spa/Imo/GT3.

That said, even if I had totally disliked AMS2, I would not have refunded (base 30$ entry here), as I believe the sim racing world is small and developers need support, and I don't mind giving a few bucks to Reiza guys every couple of years, given all the love and support they provided with GSC and AMS1.

Last edited:
-FFB on G27: potential is here, haven't played too much with the settings, I set up upfront following some post here on RD (60/80/40). The main issue was that I didn't feel connected to the road. I can see the ffb forces at work, but in a way, when I am on straight lines, at speed, making slight wheel corrections will bring very little feel. On typical turns, mid-speed, no issues.
I don't worry too much on this and believe Reiza will polish it overtime.

Same here on my T300rs on the straights the wheel is to light, feels almost disconnected.

With the F1 cars you mentioned the moment you enter a corner the ffb goes from very light to very high almost maximum. Does this variation also occurs on your wheel?
I understand that the down forces generated by an F1 car are are huge but it is way to much. Very strange in a F3 car you do not get these huge variations and feels really good to drive, actually my favourite car at the moment.
We do not have these problems in AMS1 so i really hope they will fix it.

Same here on my T300rs on the straights the wheel is to light, feels almost disconnected.

With the F1 cars you mentioned the moment you enter a corner the ffb goes from very light to very high almost maximum. Does this variation also occurs on your wheel?
Yes, that's quite the idea. The difference between the ffb/resistance on straight lines, and then when turning. I would think it is related to the settings for minimal forces, but again I set up my wheel quite decently following the best-practices posts here, I will probably try other combinations next time but I think the answer is with Reiza at the moment.

Last edited:
The FFB-issue of having nearly zero feedback on straights and then a sudden buildup in corners is something similar AMS has as well, if one sets the Realfeel settings wrong.

Imagine that your wheel puts out 3 Nm at most. Then imagine you're driving a high-downforce F1 car with no power steering. The steering force would be huge in fast corners, and reasonably low on the straights. Now scale that steering force to the 3 Nm of your wheel and you can quickly understand why you're barely feeling anything on the straights with something like a T300.

Automobilista allows users to 'condense' this force range by using the Realfeel settings, so that it fits your wheel, driving style, personal preference, etc. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to do. I hope there is something for AMS2 as well. Perhaps have a look around in the files? I don't own the title (yet), unable to do so myself.

No point in even responding to your pathetic drivel, its painfully clear you don't get it. No surprise based on your first post.
Do yourself a favor, go add some more nails to your rig, because anyone bragging how much their rig is, %99 of the time, they're full of ****

Race on kiddo
Only thing I don't see is your PS2 somewhere.
fge7.jpg

I didn't give you permission to upload a pic of my gaming 'Rig' :roflmao:

Will the Developers for the AMS2 game in the future provide seasonal graphic changes, spring,summer, etc?
I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing it's a very real possibility since we have a season setting in the game already. :thumbsup:

Also, I couldn't resist doing a proper RD V8 skin instead of that horrible test one, so here it is. For those wondering, the main colour is from the "dark style" forum theme. I've made a white version too as the teammate, but I prefer this one. :cool:

RDV8Grey.jpg

Off topic a bit, but i really dislike the seasonal adjustment mechanic, you move from a track from Europe to Brazil, or vice versa, and you end up in ridiculously cold conditions because the game chooses to keep it's "date in the calendar" rather than the season you last set... which is stupid because the only thing you can adjust is the season your track session is taking place.

Drop the calendar concept from quick races and test sessions and give me a more obvious way to set up how warm or how cold the track will be, don't overthink and try to be clever on something like this.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%