Automobilista 2 | Update 0.8.2.0 Is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios continue working hard on the journey to version 1.0 of Automobilista 2, recently releasing the second major public build update for the sim.

Build 0.8.2.0 is the culmination of multiple beta hotfix and build releases over the last few days, and should mark a significant step forward in both the way the vehicles within the sim behave, as well as the the current intelligence of the AI drivers within the title.

On the content front, version 0.8.2.0 also adds new layouts for both Snetterton and Velocittá, as well as an historic variant of the centrepiece Interlargos circuit and a first pass at the new photo mode within the game.

Automobilista 2 Version 0.8.2.0 Update Notes:

IMPORTANT
: In order to ensure you completely reset your build to the latest changes, it´s strongly recommended to delete your MyDocs/Automobilista 2 settings folder and start anew - make sure to callibrate your controller, and that your pedals are callibrated to the complete 1-100 range (some users have reported needing to callibrate pedals twice for it to register - we´re still investigating it).

CONTENT
  • Added Snetterton 100 layout
  • Added Velocittá CD layout
  • Added Interlagos Historic External Ring layout

GENERAL
  • Further updates to rain spray (longer life, draw distance, smaller from front wheels)
  • Reduced threshold for track limit penalties (still subject to further tuning)

UI / HUD
  • Implemented initial version of in-game Photo Mode
  • Added back Random Weather option
  • Added vehicle statistics to track loading screen
  • Updated car class colour definitions & added short class name icons
  • Multiplayer Browser: Player count corrected to sort numerically instead of alphabetically; fixed incorrect
  • Lobby Screen: Fixed activation of "Invite" button; added class and vehicle name to driver table column headings; fixed private/password icon showing for all servers
  • Removed redundant session time acceleration button from Multiplayer monitor screen

PHYSICS
  • Corrected error in fast damper rates incorrectly applying to cars without 2-stage damping (resulting in overall incorrect or altogether broken dampers in some cases)
  • Updated semi-slick treads on various Caterhams for more accurate performance on a wet track
  • Adjusted carcass load stiffness for F-Vee / Copa Fusca / F-Uno / Copa Truck / F-Classic / F-Trainer / F3 / P4 tyres
  • Removed excessive rolling resistance from wet tarmac & concrete (AI & player)
  • Further revised MRX aero, suspension rates & default setup
  • Adjusted ideal temperature ranges in several compounds (correcting sizeable errors in P4, F-Classic Gen1 tyres
  • Fixed wrong tread width on F-Vee front tyre
  • Fixed F-Classic Gen3 Model1 7th gear
  • Updated rental kart physics (narrower track, rear tyres)
  • Applied Balance of Performance for cars in P3 class

AI
  • Implemented new AI Aggression logic
  • Fixed AI suspension rate issue that could cause AI cars to vibrate violently
  • Slightly Increased AI smoothness when moving laterally (both calm and urgent) & AI simplied tyre peak slip angle, combining to slightly more natural changes of direction

TRACKS
  • Interlagos Historic: Complete art pass
  • Incremental art passe to Oulton Park, Spielberg
  • Updated night lights & fixed flags for Brands Hatch, Imola, Goiania
  • Added period-accurate night lighting to historical tracks
  • Updated Kansai trackside cameras

VEHICLES
  • Copa Uno: Added missing lower LODs
  • ARC Camaro: Full field livery update
  • F-Classic:Fixed needle vertex AO, mirror material on LODs of G1M!; Added rear light to G1M2, G2M3; Fixed gearshift lever animation for G3M3
  • Updated wet and inter tyre textures for F-Classics & F-V12
  • Caterhams: Fixed carbon material
  • Roco 001: Fixed gearstick animation
  • Sprintrace: Added windscreen reflection, corrected drift gearshift animation (paddles instead of sequential
  • AJR: Added Tubarão #5 2020 Chevy V8 livery; added chrome parts to v
  • F-Reiza: fixed duplicated livery
  • F-V12: Added new Community Skins
  • F-Ultimate: Updated liveries for Reiza / Milano / Groove teams (logos/materials)

AI & PHYSICS UPDATES

This build features some major physics and AI improvements - it is recommended to reset your setups and AI Aggression setting.

On the AI side, the AI Aggression system has been completely revamped, changing the way the AI evaluates passing opportunities and how that blends with the AI Aggression setting - 50-70% is a good starting point, with 100% almost sure to result in at least some AI-to-AI crashes.

The AI performance range has also been adjusted but as overall callibration is still in progress you may still observe inconsistencies against player performance as you go from class to class and through different sessions and weather conditions - this should be evolving consistently as we progress through Early Access. AI performance on the run-down to the 1st corner and generally over the first lap likewise will still be callibrated further in upcoming builds.

On the physics side, the biggest change is the addressing of an error that was causing fast dampers not to be disabled in cars that didn´t have suspensions with 2-stage damping (pretty much all cars in the game except the F-V10, F-Reiza, F-Ultimate and SuperV8) - this effectively meant dampers would not work right at certain speeds or were broken altogether, fixing this has gone a long way towards rectifying some of the handling anomalities reported since Beta began. While not all will have substantial handling differences, pretty much every car is worth revisiting with this update.

One of the positive side-effects of this correction is that Force Feedback may feel better / more consistent than before, as a result of the suspension now working properly (rather than development of the FFB system per se).

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now on Steam Early Access.

Need help making the most from the sim? Head to the RaceDepartment Automobilista 2 sub forum and post a question for our awesome community, who will be more than happy to help you out!

AMS 2 Update 8.2 - 1.jpg

Last edited:
No it s not about personal taste. There is definetely smth wrong with those cars in handling (pandulum effect? + twitcy setup) or smth wrong with the g27 wheel setup and these cars.

Besides it is only with these 2 cars (i leave camaro out as it is just too twitchy)

I also tried with a “new” clean setup with 900 dor with same results. I hear most of ppl saying that v8’s feel good but that’s not for me.

Completely agree with Amanda. The isi-motor has many problems with AI. The only way I found to make them more "human" is to edit the "talent" file and download aggression and other parameters such as:

Reputation =
Courtesy =
Composure =
Speed =
Crash =
Recovery =
CompletedLaps =
MinRacingSkill =

This work works perfectly in Game Stock Car, Reiza's best AI game.

Other games like RFactor or RR are decidedly unplayable in many situations.

No it s not about personal taste. There is definetely smth wrong with those cars in handling

I disagree, I think the stock cars and V8s feel fine and after the most recent update aren't that twitchy at all. I do find the Camaro twitchy though... it feels like the steering is ridiculously sensitive for some reason. I barely move it and the car veers as if I've applied two or three times more movement.

Haris 1977 maybe this help you.

Logitech Gaming Software

100/0/0
center: checked 25%
900º
allow: unticked

In game

85/50/50/40

Good luck!

@Nano10 i have already created a “new” wheel profile with 900 dor. Then started the game , calibrated the “new” wheel to match my cp settings, put sensitivity back to 50 (from 42 i was on my previous setup) and started a race with v8’s.

Same (poor) results! Indeed my wheel was “locked” in ~220 dor and not 900!! So veeeeeeryyyyyy twitchy again

Smth strange in here..

The SuperV8 is one of the better cars in the game, it's gradually got better since the first beta and right now after the latest update its the best it's got so far. That's not to say there's no more tweaking to do, the tires need a lot of work for example (they don't overheat nearly enough) and i still believe the weight needs a bit more through the wheel, but overall so far it's a great car to drive.

Personally i think there's too many cars during beta/ea that need constant attention, IMO it would've been better to concentrate on a few select cars then drip feed the others in during EA when Reiza are more settled with the physics. During beta/ea currently it feels like some cars suffer from "two step towards, one step back" or worse, they're getting there though and as ever i have full faith in Reiza getting them all to a decent level eventually.

my expérience so far,some cars most f1 do not like a start race both multi and against ai, i just can not change gears,all is ok in practise and qualify,in multiplayer both host and guest i got the same with all cars, i can play practise and qualy with people but as soon as i try the race the car does not have gears so i am stuck, and once with f3 i just quit while trying to gear up and i was host,apart from that it looks promising good fb, ai is still stupid but less than i fought , oh and in replay f1 cars looks like they are driven on a stick(like pcars) with an invisble hande from above moving the car in cicuit on the beach,the set up is strange also some car do not behave good with down force and breaks together,the f1 reiza for exemple does a lot of random but i hat no time yet to test everything... i know it is EA so i give my little experience, and i know it will get better, i'll avoid multiplayer for now,best car i found was the sprint car,it give me good fb and good race with ai, but ai is very slow with this car,werea it is exagerated with others

Haris 1977.

1) Delete the Automobilista 2 folder in documents.

2) Set the Logitech Gaming Software

3) Recalibrate the wheel and pedals.

4) Set the FFB

It should work

I did some "extended" test before anything else: Went on gameplay => display => and enabled the "on screen wheel" in order to check if there is smth wrong with my wheel movement.

First i tested the v8's: I was on 1:1 so everything was ok up to this point (1:1 means that if i move my wheel 90 degrees, the same happens to the virtual wheel). But, what i figured out is that the v8's virtual wheel "locked" in 220 - 230 dor !! So that exactly is the problem !!

Shouldn't the virtual wheel "lock" at least at 540 or 900 DOR? I recon this is the root of my problem (in terms of snappiness). Can you please guys check what is your virtual (in game) wheel rotation for the V8 car?

It is very important to check if my setup is wrong

* sc Brazil's virtual wheel lock = ~ 540 degrees

Last edited:
And no, I dont need a refund dude. I have a 8000€ rig!!!
Do yourself a favour and go play AMS1 1.0 and you will see how bad this AMS2 EA is.

No point in even responding to your pathetic drivel, its painfully clear you don't get it. No surprise based on your first post.
Do yourself a favor, go add some more nails to your rig, because anyone bragging how much their rig is, %99 of the time, they're full of ****

Race on kiddo
Only thing I don't see is your PS2 somewhere.
fge7.jpg

So i did more testing against ai. TLDR: Its wildly inconsistent!
Can only speak for the formula 1 gen 3 classic cars with default setup:
Kyalami i had to go back to 100% strength and in some corners the ai had still that much more grip.
Jerez at 120% possible ai gets very slow in the last sector.
Imols at 120% is possible, fun challenge but at variante bassa the cars get very slow and easy to overtake.
Oulton i tried with the f3 309 at 120%, yes its fun but again there is a section were i can close the gaps very easily.
Loving the underpowered benetton :inlove: and when it works its fun racing the ai. Will link a battle against a ferrari later ;)

GRAPHICS and VR: already excellent and I still think it can be improved

AI: version 0.8.2.0 is much better than 0.8.0.1 ... much remains to be done but it will certainly become much more consistent over time

FFB: With the latest update (0.8.2.0) I can now set on my Logitech G920 the GAIN to 60 (before with the version 0.8.0.1 I used 40) without clipping (range 50-70 as desired and depending on the cars) ... it is not 100 as recommended (it's impossible not to have clipping) but it is a good improvement, and now the FFB is more defined and full-bodied than before ... the rest of the settings have remained unchanged, that is, LFB 80 and FX 60-70 (but this last is at your pleasure). The pendulum effect still remains (especially with some cars), but now it has decreased. Braking has improved and the driving sensations are more natural and full-bodied. Still much to be done, especially in the details of the first-degree steering and deadzone, but the direction seems the right one.

I am really satisfied with the progress and corrections that Reiza is adopting ... this update has reassured me about future development ... therefore I have decided to buy the DLC Season 1 & 2 too ... good job Reiza!!! ;)

I did some "extended" test before anything else: Went on gameplay => display => and enabled the "on screen wheel" in order to check if there is smth wrong with my wheel movement.

First i tested the v8's: I was on 1:1 so everything was ok up to this point (1:1 means that if i move my wheel 90 degrees, the same happens to the virtual wheel). But, what i figured out is that the v8's virtual wheel "locked" in 220 - 230 dor !! So that exactly is the problem !!

Shouldn't the virtual wheel "lock" at least at 540 or 900 DOR? I recon this is the root of my problem (in terms of snappiness). Can you please guys check what is your virtual (in game) wheel rotation for the V8 car?

It is very important to check if my setup is wrong

* sc Brazil's virtual wheel lock = ~ 540 degrees

HI
I did a test on my T300rs
v8's: are around 360 deg
Stock cars : are around 450 deg
Both values are the same in AMS1 the difference is in AMS1 you have in the setup menu of the car the option to increase these values up to 540 deg

Edit 1: I just looked in AMS 2 in the setup menu for the V8, there is not even an option to modify the steering lock like in the other cars so I assume the V8's are less developed than other cars in AMS2 at the moment

Edit 1: there is not even an option to modify the steering lock like in the other cars so I assume the V8's are less developed than other cars in AMS2 at the moment

Exactly. This option is greyed out (in karts too) so you are stuck with the default steering ratio which -for me - makes the car undrivable atm. Hope for a fix soon

Exactly. This option is greyed out (in karts too) so you are stuck with the default steering ratio which -for me - makes the car undrivable atm. Hope for a fix soon

I'm guessing you did all the 'stuff' and its still like that? Its a little odd how some wheels just wont accept that dor.
Lucky I guess, deleted the ffb settings after patch in docs, re-calibrated and the auto DOR detect for each car is fine. Was fine before the hotfix.

btw: who's the wanker in the suit? :cautious:
And I hope this ad sort of moves on at some point, I mean look at him.
8gwq.png

I disagree, I think the stock cars and V8s feel fine and after the most recent update aren't that twitchy at all. I do find the Camaro twitchy though... it feels like the steering is ridiculously sensitive for some reason. I barely move it and the car veers as if I've applied two or three times more movement.

There's definitely something screwey about AMS2 steering ratio calculation for each car then because the Camaro isn't twitchy at all in my setup. In fact its a joy to drive. But, I had all sorts of issues calibrating my wheel initially (CSWv1@900deg) in order for AMS2 to recognise the correct rotation when wheel is held at 90 degrees (Should show as 900). It took me 4 frustrating attempts before the game seemed to get it right.

I also had the original braking issue (constant lockup inducing serious understeer, blocked steering), but after the copious amount of recalibrating to finally get things to detect/stick properly, that went away as well. This was all in the first EA release. I think Rieza should check its wheel detection/calibration routines. They seem somewhat unreliable.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 5.6%