Automobilista 2 | Update 0.8.2.0 Is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios continue working hard on the journey to version 1.0 of Automobilista 2, recently releasing the second major public build update for the sim.

Build 0.8.2.0 is the culmination of multiple beta hotfix and build releases over the last few days, and should mark a significant step forward in both the way the vehicles within the sim behave, as well as the the current intelligence of the AI drivers within the title.

On the content front, version 0.8.2.0 also adds new layouts for both Snetterton and Velocittá, as well as an historic variant of the centrepiece Interlargos circuit and a first pass at the new photo mode within the game.

Automobilista 2 Version 0.8.2.0 Update Notes:

IMPORTANT
: In order to ensure you completely reset your build to the latest changes, it´s strongly recommended to delete your MyDocs/Automobilista 2 settings folder and start anew - make sure to callibrate your controller, and that your pedals are callibrated to the complete 1-100 range (some users have reported needing to callibrate pedals twice for it to register - we´re still investigating it).

CONTENT
  • Added Snetterton 100 layout
  • Added Velocittá CD layout
  • Added Interlagos Historic External Ring layout

GENERAL
  • Further updates to rain spray (longer life, draw distance, smaller from front wheels)
  • Reduced threshold for track limit penalties (still subject to further tuning)

UI / HUD
  • Implemented initial version of in-game Photo Mode
  • Added back Random Weather option
  • Added vehicle statistics to track loading screen
  • Updated car class colour definitions & added short class name icons
  • Multiplayer Browser: Player count corrected to sort numerically instead of alphabetically; fixed incorrect
  • Lobby Screen: Fixed activation of "Invite" button; added class and vehicle name to driver table column headings; fixed private/password icon showing for all servers
  • Removed redundant session time acceleration button from Multiplayer monitor screen

PHYSICS
  • Corrected error in fast damper rates incorrectly applying to cars without 2-stage damping (resulting in overall incorrect or altogether broken dampers in some cases)
  • Updated semi-slick treads on various Caterhams for more accurate performance on a wet track
  • Adjusted carcass load stiffness for F-Vee / Copa Fusca / F-Uno / Copa Truck / F-Classic / F-Trainer / F3 / P4 tyres
  • Removed excessive rolling resistance from wet tarmac & concrete (AI & player)
  • Further revised MRX aero, suspension rates & default setup
  • Adjusted ideal temperature ranges in several compounds (correcting sizeable errors in P4, F-Classic Gen1 tyres
  • Fixed wrong tread width on F-Vee front tyre
  • Fixed F-Classic Gen3 Model1 7th gear
  • Updated rental kart physics (narrower track, rear tyres)
  • Applied Balance of Performance for cars in P3 class

AI
  • Implemented new AI Aggression logic
  • Fixed AI suspension rate issue that could cause AI cars to vibrate violently
  • Slightly Increased AI smoothness when moving laterally (both calm and urgent) & AI simplied tyre peak slip angle, combining to slightly more natural changes of direction

TRACKS
  • Interlagos Historic: Complete art pass
  • Incremental art passe to Oulton Park, Spielberg
  • Updated night lights & fixed flags for Brands Hatch, Imola, Goiania
  • Added period-accurate night lighting to historical tracks
  • Updated Kansai trackside cameras

VEHICLES
  • Copa Uno: Added missing lower LODs
  • ARC Camaro: Full field livery update
  • F-Classic:Fixed needle vertex AO, mirror material on LODs of G1M!; Added rear light to G1M2, G2M3; Fixed gearshift lever animation for G3M3
  • Updated wet and inter tyre textures for F-Classics & F-V12
  • Caterhams: Fixed carbon material
  • Roco 001: Fixed gearstick animation
  • Sprintrace: Added windscreen reflection, corrected drift gearshift animation (paddles instead of sequential
  • AJR: Added Tubarão #5 2020 Chevy V8 livery; added chrome parts to v
  • F-Reiza: fixed duplicated livery
  • F-V12: Added new Community Skins
  • F-Ultimate: Updated liveries for Reiza / Milano / Groove teams (logos/materials)

AI & PHYSICS UPDATES

This build features some major physics and AI improvements - it is recommended to reset your setups and AI Aggression setting.

On the AI side, the AI Aggression system has been completely revamped, changing the way the AI evaluates passing opportunities and how that blends with the AI Aggression setting - 50-70% is a good starting point, with 100% almost sure to result in at least some AI-to-AI crashes.

The AI performance range has also been adjusted but as overall callibration is still in progress you may still observe inconsistencies against player performance as you go from class to class and through different sessions and weather conditions - this should be evolving consistently as we progress through Early Access. AI performance on the run-down to the 1st corner and generally over the first lap likewise will still be callibrated further in upcoming builds.

On the physics side, the biggest change is the addressing of an error that was causing fast dampers not to be disabled in cars that didn´t have suspensions with 2-stage damping (pretty much all cars in the game except the F-V10, F-Reiza, F-Ultimate and SuperV8) - this effectively meant dampers would not work right at certain speeds or were broken altogether, fixing this has gone a long way towards rectifying some of the handling anomalities reported since Beta began. While not all will have substantial handling differences, pretty much every car is worth revisiting with this update.

One of the positive side-effects of this correction is that Force Feedback may feel better / more consistent than before, as a result of the suspension now working properly (rather than development of the FFB system per se).

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now on Steam Early Access.

Need help making the most from the sim? Head to the RaceDepartment Automobilista 2 sub forum and post a question for our awesome community, who will be more than happy to help you out!

AMS 2 Update 8.2 - 1.jpg

Last edited:
I am very happy with these unexpected hotfixs. However i now have problems with Adelaide track in Test mode. As soon as I come out of the pits the car slides to the left then all over the place, as if there is grease all over the track. No matter what vehicle I drive, I get the same result. However there are no problems when using Race mode with AI's. Weird!!!

EDIT: I deleted and reinstalled the "new" Automobilista 2 folder in your Users\****\Documents and now everything works correctly!!!

Last edited:
I am very happy with these unexpected hotfixs. However i now have problems with Adelaide track in Test mode. As soon as I come out of the pits the car slides to the left then all over the place, as if there is grease all over the track. No matter what vehicle I drive, I get the same result. However there are no problems when using Race mode with AI's. Weird!!!

Is anyone else having this problem? I just tested myself, Beta and Public release, Metalmoro and ARC, modern and 88 version and didn't encounter this behaviour. Have you tried verifying your files in Steam? Or deleting your automobilista 2 folder in your Users\****\Documents and creating a new profile?

Is anyone else having this problem? I just tested myself, Beta and Public release, Metalmoro and ARC, modern and 88 version and didn't encounter this behaviour. Have you tried verifying your files in Steam? Or deleting your automobilista 2 folder in your Users\****\Documents and creating a new profile?
Yes, I did both the delete of AMS2 folder and the Steam integrity check on AMS2 files - all OK. I might have to delete and reinstall. But I will wait until updated to vers 1.

Last edited:
So after finding this game unplayable due to the FFB on my simucube 2, I discovered a custom FFB profile on the Reiza forums, along with the file and the update it now feels decent, feels a little like Raceroom to me

FFB is very abscent on low speeds. Cars seem to be floating.
Rain sprays are still very unrealistic and heavy on high end systems.
Camera shaking effects ruins the experience.
Cockpit graphics should be alot better.
Overall game looks arcade.
The game will improve but I'm not expecting miracles.
Low force boost for the first problem.
You can turn off or greatly diminish camera shake.
"Looks arcade"????

Jesus, I hope you are wrong about this. Their first game, AMS1 has pretty good AI, not great but at least you could race with them. I hope Rezia guts the hell out of that PC2 AI code!

The AI in AMS were not at the excellent level they are now when AMS was released nor were they that good in any of their prior titles or going back to the original rFactor. Reiza spent a lot of time and effort crafting and tweaking them, removing flaws that had plagued every version for years and then calibrating every series to the same standard (so if you are skill level 90% strength in one series, chances are you will be 90% in another). That process for AMS 2 is happening now. Fortunately, all that was learned for AMS can be transferred to AMS 2.

It is a mammoth task, but some of us have faith because we never believed rFactor AI could ever have its fatal flaws addressed...but they were.

I quite likely have a fraction of the time invested racing the AI that many of you have so far. In my experience though, I’ve actually had several moments where I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how well the AI is behaving at this stage of the game’s development. To elaborate, I kind of get an impression that the AI has three “phases” of behavior.

“Phase 1” is the race start through the first corner or two. This is where the AI clearly still suffers from routine cases of “the stupids.” It can be the actual start, how they make their way through the first corner or two, or both.

“Phase 2” is the remainder of the first lap and possibly some or all of the second lap. It’s essentially a given that the AI will behave better in this timeframe than phase 1 but something still seems amiss to me compared to the third phase. Maybe the AI can’t yet deal with having several cars still in close proximity from the start. Maybe they don’t yet have the smarts to deal with cold tires. Maybe it’s either or both these things or something else. Regardless, it just feels like it’s better than the beginning portions of a race but not as good as the rest.

“Phase 3” is pretty much everything else through to the end. To be honest, I’ve pretty much had no actual problems at all with the AI in this timeframe. Are there still things that can be improved in this phase? Absolutely. I’ve really not encountered actual problems though. In particular I’ve never once yet had an AI car turn into me when I was alongside going into a corner.

So even if you’ve encountered different specific experiences than me, I would be curious to know if anyone else feels that the AI behavior is a distinctly different beast once a race has more or less “settled in.”

Note: Above is all for dry track conditions. I have not attempted to race the AI on any wet track surfaces. I also have not attempted any races with pit stops.

FFB is very abscent on low speeds. Cars seem to be floating.

Thats your issue with setting up ffb correctly. Also, cars only appeared floaty in the first EA initial release.

Rain sprays are still very unrealistic and heavy on high end systems.

Ever heard of the term Early Access? Thats what you currently have, it hasn't even reached 1.0 stage. And have you heard of optimization? Those things are coming, but I'm sure you're aware of that.

Camera shaking effects ruins the experience.

Again, its you, not the title. Maybe you should look into what those settings in the camera do, apparently it doesn't seem like you have.

Cockpit graphics should be alot better.

Should be, based on what exactly? What other title is in alpha - early access stage to compare to? Again, if you haven't checked, you have an Early Access (ie: EA) alpha type version of the title. Better how?

Overall game looks arcade.

Based on everything above, it doesn't sound like you know your way around the title. The screenshots in this thread are arcade? ok. Those are Early Access screens as well.

The game will improve but I'm not expecting miracles.

What sort of miracles are you wishing upon? It sounds like you haven't even installed any of the hotfixes.
So did you go get your whopping $30 back if your so dissatisfied? I mean, you were expecting miracles in an alpha - early access tittle.

Last edited:
Thats your issue with setting up ffb correctly. Also, cars only appeared floaty in the first EA initial release.

Ever heard of the term Early Access? Thats what you currently have, it hasn't even reached 1.0 stage. And have you heard of optimization? Those things are coming, but I'm sure you're aware of that.

Again, its you, not the title. Maybe you should look into what those settings in the camera do, apparently it doesn't seem like you have.

Should be, based on what exactly? What other title is in alpha - early access stage to compare to? Again, if you haven't checked, you have an Early Access (ie: EA) alpha type version of the title. Better how?

Based on everything above, it doesn't sound like you know your way around the title. The screenshots in this thread are arcade? ok. Those are Early Access screens as well.

What sort of miracles are you wishing upon? It sounds like you haven't even installed any of the hotfixes.
So did you go get your whopping $30 back if your so dissatisfied? I mean, you were expecting miracles in an alpha - early access tittle.

FFB is very poor at low speeds regardless of the settings.
You can turn off the world shaking but not car exagerated shaking, if you want me to be more specific. You cant even reduce the bumper camera shaking.
Cockpit graphics should be a lot better based on PCars gfx engine in use.
Some of the issues will be fixed some wont at all.
Early access has shown us most of the time 95% of what to expect from any game.
And no, I dont need a refund dude. I have a 8000€ rig!!!
Do yourself a favour and go play AMS1 1.0 and you will see how bad this AMS2 EA is.

Last edited:
I’m pretty new to the AMS world having not really played the first one. Im totally in love with this though, spent hours yesterday trying different combos. It’s not the super serious in depth sim that ACC is, but it is a massively fun smorgasbord of exotic motor sports content. Frankly, it’s just what I needed right now.

The brakes now seem less prone to insta-locking, but I noticed that the default sensitivity is reduced to 50% so I guess that’s why. Whatever, it’s improved.

I’m a convert to the graphics but that may be because I’ve been fiddling with them, trying super sampling and racing at different times of day and weather settings. I’m now very happy with the graphic overall. Even on my 1080 ultrawide the graphics seem pin sharp, even 4K-like. Look at the cockpit of the Caterham or at cars way down the track at Snetterton. However the far off textures at Ibarra and Donington look low res and washed out.

Performance seems very good. I’m getting 100 FPS fairly reliably and, as said above, it looks great and I’m maxing it out. I do however get the very occasional, once every 3 or 4 races, massive stutter that puts me in the wall. In multiplayer this will be a race wrecker and needs to be fixed.

The FFB is mainly excellent. I am thoroughly devoted to the Caterham Superlight, the Stock car, the Sprint race and the P3. Try the P3 at Ibarra, the Caterham at Oulton Park and the Sprint at Interlagos. Sublime. For some reason, my early favorite, the F3 doesn’t feel as good to me now though, very strange.

I’d really like them to have a look at the car and track selection UI. Right now everything is lumped together making it hard to find, for example, kart tracks or tracks suitable for the stock cars. We don’t need five separate icons for the Caterhams in the initial car picker, that should be in a sub menu. And the endless variety of poorly labeled F1-like cars is confusing.

So I love how this is coming together so quickly. Some polishing is still needed but it’s already a fantastic sim and top two for me, as I hoped it would be. On the whole, I’m in love - thanks Reiza.

The Madness Engine whether you like it or not looks amazing (personal opinion), and in Reiza's hands it will probably reach it's true potential eventually...below screen shot of the road line drying out during a weather change from Rain to Clear while racing at Interlagos....awesome :inlove::inlove:
View attachment 362387
As a 3D artist that worked with a few engines, I can say that the Madness Engine is one of the most realistic ones when it comes to graphics. The way surfaces react with light is just remarkable and can do things that almost no other engine can.

Some of the issues will be fixed some wont at all.
Says who? Pretty sure you're not one of the developers...

Early access has shown us most of the time 95% of what to expect from any game.
This statement is partially correct. Yes, a large proportion of EA titles end up either never fully complete, or "complete" but lacking the features that were promised when the project started. However, there's two important differences here.

First, most EA titles are by indy developers who take on far more than they can ever hope to actually deliver, and are then pummelled into submission by a demanding, entitled and intolerant community. Reiza is not an inexperienced indy developer, they have a proven track record of taking their projects as far as they possibly can, and they have a loyal and helpful fanbase for the most part.

Second, EA in this case was a direct result of the current worldwide crisis that has slowed development and meant the initial release of v1.0 had to be delayed. That isn't Reiza's fault and in no way means the end product is going to be any different than originally planned. They went into EA for the benefit of their fans, to give us something to be going on with rather than putting the entire release back by a few months. A brave move on their part given how hysterical complaints of unfinished features can negatively affect a project's reputation before it is even finished, but for me an appreciated one.

I understand if you don't want to trust that Reiza will deliver in the end, but blindly claiming the sim will remain mediocre simply because it has the EA tag is just plain silly.

My main problems are with 3 cars. Arc camaro/sc brazil and v8s.

1- arc camaro: very twitchy for me (even with 14 steering lock in game garage) comparing to all other cars

2- sc brazil: strange physics , too twitchy too. It s like having a balloon between the suspension and the wheel

3- v8’s: for me the worst experience so far. Just like sc brazil but worse feeling. Too twitchy too (in fact in garage settings there is no steering lock option)

I use a 570 dor calibrated (g27) wheel. Also karts are unplayable for me

Has anyone else facing this?

The AI in AMS were not at the excellent level they are now when AMS was released nor were they that good in any of their prior titles or going back to the original rFactor. Reiza spent a lot of time and effort crafting and tweaking them, removing flaws that had plagued every version for years and then calibrating every series to the same standard (so if you are skill level 90% strength in one series, chances are you will be 90% in another). That process for AMS 2 is happening now. Fortunately, all that was learned for AMS can be transferred to AMS 2.

It is a mammoth task, but some of us have faith because we never believed rFactor AI could ever have its fatal flaws addressed...but they were.
I'm finding myself not enjoying AMS1 AI as much as I wish.

For instance, I almost always race on multiclass and I'm generally on the faster class. If I'm 2-wide (me, a slower class, and an opponent on the same class as me behind the slower class car), I can literally use the slower class AI to literally kill my opponent since, for some reason, slower classes brake whenever passed.

That just kills immersion.

Another thing that bugs me on isiMotor-based titles is how aggressive the AI is no matter the situation.
* One example is rFactor 2 at Interlagos. It doesn't matter what's happening, it doesn't matter if we're 2-wide at the pit exit straight and there's enough room for someone exiting the pits to just keep going straight, the AI is programmed to rapidly turn right at the pit exit and follow the racing line. This results in the AI killing me every time, or me having to slow down, then let the driver on my right pass me, and then leave room for the AI to move to the racing line.
* AMS1 seems to have the same problem with some isiMotor titles' AI = faster classes will breach through no matter what. An example: say I'm on a GTE on Silverstone, aproaching Maggots and Becketts, and there's a LMP2 car coming. I'm preparing to take these corners, which mean I need to move to the left in order to take a right turn. Of course the prototype can just keep accelerating, but that will result in either me missing the corner (because I'll need to deaccelerate in order not to crash) or the AI killing me because I would never expect it to just keep moving as if I gave it space (which I did not).
Heck, rFactor 2 AI will even go on the grass in this situation "because me needs to pass nomatterwot". It's ridiculous.
Same thing on Eau Rouge or whatever corner.

This just never happened to me on ProjectCARS2 AI. In the Silverstone example above, the AI would actually wait for me to take the corner, and then pass me on the straight, exactly as a real-world driver would do.

You can see Sean Edwards bellow (RIP), the guy that got me into sim racing. Look how respectful he is. If the slower guy in front is already taking a corner and is fighting with grip, he'll let the guy take the corner.
Look at 2:12 to 2:17. In sim racing, the AI would keep moving and slam the "SEX BOMB" car, taking him out of the race.

2:40-2:45 is another great example.

Last edited:
My main problems are with 3 cars. Arc camaro/sc brazil and v8s.

1- arc camaro: very twitchy for me (even with 14 steering lock in game garage) comparing to all other cars

2- sc brazil: strange physics , too twitchy too. It s like having a balloon between the suspension and the wheel

3- v8’s: for me the worst experience so far. Just like sc brazil but worse feeling. Too twitchy too (in fact in garage settings there is no steering lock option)

I use a 570 dor calibrated (g27) wheel. Also karts are unplayable for me

Has anyone else facing this?

Maybe classic personal taste thing ??

Because for me fe. the Stock Cars and the V8 are among the best feeling cars the game offer :cautious: (t300 user)

Can`t get warm with and f1 cars. Didn`t try the karts yet.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.