Automobilista 2: New Preview Video Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Not satisfied with the last Automobilista 2 video footage? Well wrap your eyes around this one...

Reiza Studios recently revealed a new comparison video of the developing Automobilista 2 simulation, showing the game in direct comparison to its older brother AMS 1, and featuring the work-in-progress Snetterton Circuit in the UK.

Despite obviously being a significant upgrade over the original title, many fans were a little underwhelmed by how development of Automobilista 2 looked to be progressing from a visual point of view, something that Reiza Studios have acknowledged when reading the comments section of the various articles featuring the July roadmap post.

Having another shot at wowing the crowds, Reiza have recently dropped a much improved video of the Ultima GTR lapping around the Snetterton track in various time of day conditions - and it's fair to say the visual improvements are considerable...

Capture has a higher bitrate which is more accurate to the game´s actual graphical quality" said Reiza Studios Renato Simioni.

Other differences in this new video include improvements to track lighting, updated road and foliage shaders, revised textures; smoothed cockpit model edges & updated materials; adjustments to audio code, rebalancing of engine sounds and various sound effects (also replacing a few placeholders used in the original video); updated physics and increased game graphical settings.

Should be stated perhaps that this still isn´t the most exciting car / track combo or settings to promote AMS2 which wasn´t really the point of the original video - obviously we miscalculated how closely people would be looking!

This is a better representation of AMS2 in its current stage of development but it´s still a WIP - things will change as we progress to release and continue to afterwards. Such is the nature of the thing...

So, what do you think?

AMS 2 Image 6.jpg

Automobilista 2 will release for PC December 2019.

For the latest Automobilista 2 news and discussions, head over to the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the conversation today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Personally I loved the shot of caterham in Brands Hatch the most in the announcement trailer of AMS. PC2 has something kinda boosting external track cameras view graphics, doesn't it ? Well maybe all that blur helps :D

IFo6VvZ.png

And this looks bad:
hZxEb5N.png

grass is not affected by specularity, even if it is dry it should still get the effect, considering that no game out there would have shaders for wet environment for ALL objects, and in sims it would be mainly limited by kerbs and tarmac, perhaps some puddles in the grass for extra stuff.

Last edited:
I was completely lost in the driving for the three-and-a-half minutes this video lasted. The car movements and behaviour looked very convincing to me.

@Renato Simioni:

Is the GTR in the video set up to understeer a little? I thought I noticed a fair bit of pushing in the slower corners. It also looks like it is almost too powerful for Snetterton? Which engine does your GTR use?

What is it like to drive it on Snetterton? And is it possible that we will get to see the updated Ultima Evo Coupe and RS models with various powertrain options?

I would imagine that Ultima would love to showcase their new models in AMS2...

To me it looks like the driver desperately tries to overdrive and upset the car to show us the physics goodness of the game, but barely anything happens with the rear. Just like in pCARS the tires are too sticky in longitudinal direction especially at low speeds. Maybe I'm interpreting too much into this. Also, they already have my money, so... fingers crossed.

It is hard to misjudge it, it also could be that driver is trying to desperately keep tires in their optimum performance window, but does a good job actually while avoiding anything exessive. I can't really tell.

pCars2 has some paranormal force which keeps helping you to restore yaw moment back to "survivable" window, but sometimes it feels like it says : - OK this time you are on your own, remember this should kinda be a sim, and then you spin despite being saved by that weird restoring effect multiple times before. Hopefully AMS2 is not going to have that.

I have just bought the early access and this confirms my esteem for the REIZA team. My concerns are in the camera swings and in the steering elasticity. It's something that happens since Shift 1, or the new game engine. There seems to be a delay, and I always thought it was due to the game engine. Automobilista is a perfect simulator because there is no latency between what you do and what the car does(apart all ather things). In PCars1 and 2 we fought with the FF thinking to find more perception of driving, but without success (except sometimes). The camera swing I have in AC with Content Manager and RealHeadMotionAssettoCorsa is almost perfect. I could advise you to make a video without oscillations, with the camera perfectly anchored to the dashboard or to the seat.

I don't understand, what are people expecting from a bit of asphalt, some grass and a blue sky?
I personally prefer we see it this way than what we had in the build up to ACC release where every screenshot and video was at night in the rain.

Agreed. I'd rather have the natural gameplay tease than sweeping quick cut cam compilations and a bunch of nighttime bullshots. Game looks fun to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the last 16 years we've had 14 sims released.

Plenty of room on my hard drive. Plenty of £££ in my pocket for a masterpiece, dud or anything in between.

2019 will see two full release titles in a year. Not sure that's happened before. Quite astonishing to see people being picky regarding the release of a major title like Christmas comes every week.

Looking forward to the game, hugely. It if drives like GSC or AMS couldn't give a monkeys about the graphics though the inevitable upgrade will be a lovely cherry on the cake. Cherries incoming, and cake, and Christmas.

"obviously we miscalculated how closely people would be looking!"
What sim racing planet are you from? :roflmao:
Fingers crossed Reiza's magic will unleash the beast out of Madness engine :thumbsup:

Last edited:
2019 will see two full release titles in a year. Not sure that's happened before. Quite astonishing to see people being picky regarding the release of a major title like Christmas comes every week.

While I agree with your general point, am I the only one who seriously doubts Reiza will release the full version this year? The release of Donington and Snetterton for AMS1 has been pushed back. The release of the rF2 dlc was pushed back. Reiza17 was pushed back. I'm not attacking Reiza - most developers don't meet target release dates, and those that do often release a buggy title - just stating facts.

It looks great. However, I have zero idea how it handles. I am keeping my hopes up. However, I am not giving them any money until I have a working demo in my hands.

Last night, I played ACC Career mode for a few hours. I remember how enthusiastic I was when Kunos announced ACC. I bought the early beta thinking that ACC would be great. Kunos did a great job with AC these guys cannot do anything wrong, right?

Well, if I knew then what I know now. I would have passed on ACC.

The morale of the story, it's not because AMS1 is great that AMS2 will be automatically great; IMHO.

After the initial excitement I have to be more skeptical. I know how qualified Reiza guys are but I also know the mess PC2 is. I'm definitely waiting for some reviews before buy the game, I honestly don't believe Reiza staff can get in deep enough in the game engine low-level code to fix things like weather dynamic, the poor AI logic and the game structure itself which don't feature basic stuff like to pick up the single opponents to build a championship.

I'm not trying to be that contradicting people but I am not buying a second PC2 with different cars in any circumstances. The game needs serious improvement from what PC2 to make it a good AMS1 continuity.

Hoping to be wrong tough. Let's wait and see.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back