Automobilista 2: New Preview Video Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Not satisfied with the last Automobilista 2 video footage? Well wrap your eyes around this one...

Reiza Studios recently revealed a new comparison video of the developing Automobilista 2 simulation, showing the game in direct comparison to its older brother AMS 1, and featuring the work-in-progress Snetterton Circuit in the UK.

Despite obviously being a significant upgrade over the original title, many fans were a little underwhelmed by how development of Automobilista 2 looked to be progressing from a visual point of view, something that Reiza Studios have acknowledged when reading the comments section of the various articles featuring the July roadmap post.

Having another shot at wowing the crowds, Reiza have recently dropped a much improved video of the Ultima GTR lapping around the Snetterton track in various time of day conditions - and it's fair to say the visual improvements are considerable...

Capture has a higher bitrate which is more accurate to the game´s actual graphical quality" said Reiza Studios Renato Simioni.

Other differences in this new video include improvements to track lighting, updated road and foliage shaders, revised textures; smoothed cockpit model edges & updated materials; adjustments to audio code, rebalancing of engine sounds and various sound effects (also replacing a few placeholders used in the original video); updated physics and increased game graphical settings.

Should be stated perhaps that this still isn´t the most exciting car / track combo or settings to promote AMS2 which wasn´t really the point of the original video - obviously we miscalculated how closely people would be looking!

This is a better representation of AMS2 in its current stage of development but it´s still a WIP - things will change as we progress to release and continue to afterwards. Such is the nature of the thing...

So, what do you think?

AMS 2 Image 6.jpg

Automobilista 2 will release for PC December 2019.

For the latest Automobilista 2 news and discussions, head over to the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the conversation today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Argument can't be lost because there isn't a single car where most if not all the traits don't occur. And to say AMS is 90% to the good is utterly ridiculous (as much as I love AMS & Reiza) because all this stuff can be replicated in AMS as well (although they have slightly improved things).

The reason why I'm so convinced it's a core physics engine thing, as I've already said multiple times, is because all of it can be replicated in any car, any mod. Even Project Cars 1 which apparently uses their own scratch-made tyre model exhibits it; I noticed it within the 3rd corner of my first ever lap playing the game before I even knew it's physics engine was ISI/rF based (besides tyre model). That's how obvious I can spot it. I didn't even know PC1 was based on ISI's engine, so those traits weren't even on my mind before I noticed them.

And challenging me? I've gone into lengthy posts explaining multiple issues many times. I've also posted real-life videos of situations which vastly differ. I believe it was you who responded by saying you can produce everything in a video I posted in the ISI physics engine (or maybe specifically AMS, not sure). Did you ever show a video of you doing so? Nope. Nothing.

Please show me the same type of vehicle behavior there. Please show me big oversteer angles, oversteer angles being held for a long time, having the car not snap back inline once the oversteer angle decreases and the car straightens out, being able to absolutely floor the throttle while in the middle of the slide and continuing the with floored throttle until the end of the slide, having the oversteer initiate slowly without having to do sudden snaps of the wheel or multiple quick "jerks," having the car continue on it's natural trajectory/path towards the outside of the corner while some/all the above is happening, etc.

Please show me that with open-wheelers in AMS. F3s, F1s, etc.

Or, get the 95 Ferrari F1 in AMS and induce a bunch of wheelspin on the exit out of a tight-corner while your car still has a lot of steering angle put in then, while the oversteer angle is still going and in a static (oversteer angle neither decreasing nor increasing) sideways state, controllably modulate/adjust the wheelspin and slide angle, then floor the throttle while adding opposite lock to compensate and keep the throttle floored while the wheelspin slowly dies down on it's own as you leave huge strips of black rubber down the straight. I showed a good example of this in a 1996 F1 car a few pages back in this thread.

They CAN spin or worse but they don't have too. I've seen millions of videos of open-wheel cars getting floored while sideways...or, while sideways, they give a little lift of the throttle but just a bit while still keeping lots of wheelspin and oversteer angle and they can then manipulate/control the wheelspin and angle. This is common stuff throughout racing. I sometimes wonder if, short of really racing themselves (expensive and not common), if some people even watch racing and observe car behavior. It literally takes just a few minutes of watching an open-wheel practice session or race to see.

Also, then blaming it on lack of downforce is a logical fallacy. Yes, there's little to no downforce between 0 and what, 80 km/h give or take 20? Regardless, downforce adds outright grip (it adds the effect of more mass without the negative effects of more actual mass) but fundamental physics still apply regardless of outright grip. FIner characteristics will change depending on grip/downforce (just like characteristics change between different cars, tyres, setups, etc.) but the "bigger picture" doesn't change.

In real-life, when a vehicle's rear tyres are slipping and an oversteer situation is occurring, the car doesn't behave as if mass and weight suddenly stopped existing, or as if the tyres lost 99.9% of grip or contact with the road-surface, or as if the car suddenly gained 500% torque. Making a blanket statement like [paraphrasing] "a car has lots of power and is lightweight so it should automatically spin-out" is extremely misinforming and is just false.

It's the same arguments fans of "x" racing sim use. A car is super powerful so it should spin. Tyres are cold so the car should instantly spin. No/little downforce so car should instantly spin. These are all false and watching literally any car from any racing series from any decade "should" make this obvious to anyone.

Nice video. I'm not sure what that video is trying yo show/prove. There's nothing there that I haven't seen the past 10 or 15 + years of playing these games and 3-quarters of the slides in that video do an all-too-common ISI engine trait where, rather than the front-end rotating back to it's original position from before the slide began (while using a fair amount of opposite lock), instead uer sort of just wait for the slide to loose it's energy and "die-off" on it's own (attempting to do what generally should happen would most likely result in a snap-over-correction). That video actually supports what I've been saying rather than oppose it.

Last edited:
Nice video. I'm not sure what that video is trying yo show/prove. There's nothing there that I haven't seen the past 10 or 15 + years of playing these games and 3-quarters of the slides in that video do an all-too-common ISI engine trait where, rather than the front-end rotating back to it's original position from before the slide began (while using a fair amount of opposite lock), instead uer sort of just wait for the slide to loose it's energy and "die-off" on it's own (attempting to do what generally should happen would most likely result in a snap-over-correction). That video actually supports what I've been saying rather than oppose it.
No it doesn't, I'm powering through the slide, with opposite lock, and accelerator, I then centre the wheel as your supposed to, it looks just like those videos you posted earlier, because I'm not waiting for the slide to die, I'm dictating what happens with my inputs

No it doesn't, I'm powering through the slide, with opposite lock, and accelerator, I then centre the wheel as your supposed to, it looks just like those videos you posted earlier, because I'm not waiting for the slide to die, I'm dictating what happens with my inputs

Sadly, without pedal and steering wheel telemetry on both the AMS and real car video feeds to compare, this argument will never end.

I urge all parties to stop talking about it until we have that evidence ;)

I don't see much of that. Half the slides in the video look like there'a almost no slip angle because the slide ends up following the path of the front-end. I can literally tell you're playing an ISI physics engined game just from watching that video. There's barely any vehicle slip-angle rotation happening in those slides especially with regards to about halfway through the slide and beyond. You should see the vehicle rotating back to it's original point (or thereabouts). The slides in that video are nothing at all like the slides in my video. This is visually observable and does not require telemetry.

After watching the 3 new videos of AMS 2, I´m a bit dissapointed because of the graphics. Yes, it´s still
a work in progress, but the track side objects shown in all the tracks are very scarse compared to the
already 'old' Project Cars 2 game.

Physics is the priority, of course, but more detailing in a 2019/2020 release should be a must.

What do you guys think?

After watching the 3 new videos of AMS 2, I´m a bit dissapointed because of the graphics. Yes, it´s still
a work in progress, but the track side objects shown in all the tracks are very scarse compared to the
already 'old' Project Cars 2 game.

Physics is the priority, of course, but more detailing in a 2019/2020 release should be a must.

What do you guys think?
Don't worry, it'll come at the later stage of track development. The placement of such objects differs from AMS1 way, so right now there are actually less objects than there were in AMS1, but it's just for now.

Yeah, hopefully we´ll get an equal level of detail as in PC 2... That would be awsome.

In regards to the licensing of F1 tracks, I´m afraid we won´t be lucky. I hope I´m wrong, but didn´t read
anything on this. But remenber that one of the first pics Reiza showed us was an F1 car passing over
a curb which looked like Monaco´s track... If they haven´t bought the rights for all F1 tracks, yes, fake
ones would be very welcome!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back