Automobilista 2: New Preview Video Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Not satisfied with the last Automobilista 2 video footage? Well wrap your eyes around this one...

Reiza Studios recently revealed a new comparison video of the developing Automobilista 2 simulation, showing the game in direct comparison to its older brother AMS 1, and featuring the work-in-progress Snetterton Circuit in the UK.

Despite obviously being a significant upgrade over the original title, many fans were a little underwhelmed by how development of Automobilista 2 looked to be progressing from a visual point of view, something that Reiza Studios have acknowledged when reading the comments section of the various articles featuring the July roadmap post.

Having another shot at wowing the crowds, Reiza have recently dropped a much improved video of the Ultima GTR lapping around the Snetterton track in various time of day conditions - and it's fair to say the visual improvements are considerable...

Capture has a higher bitrate which is more accurate to the game´s actual graphical quality" said Reiza Studios Renato Simioni.

Other differences in this new video include improvements to track lighting, updated road and foliage shaders, revised textures; smoothed cockpit model edges & updated materials; adjustments to audio code, rebalancing of engine sounds and various sound effects (also replacing a few placeholders used in the original video); updated physics and increased game graphical settings.

Should be stated perhaps that this still isn´t the most exciting car / track combo or settings to promote AMS2 which wasn´t really the point of the original video - obviously we miscalculated how closely people would be looking!

This is a better representation of AMS2 in its current stage of development but it´s still a WIP - things will change as we progress to release and continue to afterwards. Such is the nature of the thing...

So, what do you think?

AMS 2 Image 6.jpg

Automobilista 2 will release for PC December 2019.

For the latest Automobilista 2 news and discussions, head over to the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the conversation today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
It is a marked improvement. But that's why these are wips. Every one is supposed to be better one than the one before it as more work goes into it and the underlying systems are better understood. As for issues the lcd still looks a bit low-res. The bigger fonts are blurry and the background of the lcd is too low resolution as well. The text bits like speed, water etc are barely readable in the youtube vid at 1440p. It is not bitrate or youtube issue because the details on the gloves for example come through sharp. Also I found it a bit surprising that there are no parts moving in wind. One if the cool features in pcars 2 is how the mirrors and other bits can be set up to move in the wind and I'd definitely expect those wing mirrors to move around as well. Also that wing mirror in that ultima has the thinnest rod connecting the mirror to its base.

"a much improved video"
"and it's fair to say the visual improvements are considerable"
what video were you watching?
Honestly, i don't see any difference and although graphics aren't the most important thing, the impressions are not great.
They are going the Kunos way and adopting a game engine for looks but not really pushing it in any way.
Madness engine looked better in PC1 imo and that was launched a decade ago.

Snetterton is not the most visually exciting circuit to use for a video like this, for most of the circuit there is not much to look at.

The game is still quite far from release anyway so I won't be reading much in to these video previews yet.

Looks very nice indeed, getting excited for this. I didn’t really spend much time with AMS1 as I couldn’t get past the graphics, but this is miles better.

Same here. The praise AMS1 received from hardcore simmers for how accurate its FFB and physics seem to be, always made me want to give it a serious try, but I just never got around the dull looks of it. Here's another guy hoping AMS2 will deliver gfx wise, and to retain good physics and FFB

I noticed that there isn't a tree that looks like ghost in the background of T2. To me snetterton is all about that tree.

And track is nice, depending on how real you can make it look in all different lighting conditions, like it is for every track.

What am I missing with AMS2, is it tire physics?
AC with SOL and shaders makes AMS2 look like AC vanilla, Peter,leBluem,Ilija and others changed the game (and dynamic weather, time and more that is up talked for AMS2 with the unreal engine). I hope for better on launch.

2exo86a.jpg

24nfvhj.png

15we813.png

Credit to Kelnor for shot below:
34j5fsx.png

Last edited:
Looks pretty good, tho still a bit murkier/blurrier when it comes to track/grass graphics than current AMS. It feels as if Anisotropic Filtering is set to low. Maybe it's the shaders or textures, or something else, but it's definitely still not as sharp as the good old engine.
Youtube's extreme compression takes out all the details in moving object. Makes it look like AF is not on.

I don't understand, what are people expecting from a bit of asphalt, some grass and a blue sky?
I personally prefer we see it this way than what we had in the build up to ACC release where every screenshot and video was at night in the rain.
I can guess what people expect but for fun and giggles lets guess what they dont expect:
- 2014 graphics in 2019
- launching a sequel game with a comparison to the previous one and show almost no difference
- re-doing the video in attempt that our first impression is somehow erased from our memory

There's a reason you dont show off WIP stuff to the general public. Its because the public gets the wrong impression about your stuff. Thats why triple A developers hold off releasing stuff until they have something almost finished.

I noticed that there isn't a tree that looks like ghost in the background of T2. To me snetterton is all about that tree.

And track is nice, depending on how real you can make it look in all different lighting conditions, like it is for every track.

I was thinking about the same, the PC2 version of the track has it. It is utterly most important that we have that funny looking tree :)

I totally 100% believe in what the guy's at Reiza can do. Just look what the did with the G1 motor! This sim will be epic.......and I'll support them......BUT , still pissed that there can't be any mods / community involvement! It's the very reason why I stuck behind AMS , RF2 and AC. Modding community is a huge plus in any game / sim. You get some crap , but you also get a ton of great stuff in which a developer can't / won't put into a sim.

Absolutely right.
I would buy AMS2 right now, if there was any chance, that AMS2 would be moddable.
The sim with the stock content might be boring after a while.
Look at the older sims like GTR2, GTL. There is still a great community playing them, because
you still get a lot of stuff for them.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back