Automobilista 2: New Preview Video Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Not satisfied with the last Automobilista 2 video footage? Well wrap your eyes around this one...

Reiza Studios recently revealed a new comparison video of the developing Automobilista 2 simulation, showing the game in direct comparison to its older brother AMS 1, and featuring the work-in-progress Snetterton Circuit in the UK.

Despite obviously being a significant upgrade over the original title, many fans were a little underwhelmed by how development of Automobilista 2 looked to be progressing from a visual point of view, something that Reiza Studios have acknowledged when reading the comments section of the various articles featuring the July roadmap post.

Having another shot at wowing the crowds, Reiza have recently dropped a much improved video of the Ultima GTR lapping around the Snetterton track in various time of day conditions - and it's fair to say the visual improvements are considerable...

Capture has a higher bitrate which is more accurate to the game´s actual graphical quality" said Reiza Studios Renato Simioni.

Other differences in this new video include improvements to track lighting, updated road and foliage shaders, revised textures; smoothed cockpit model edges & updated materials; adjustments to audio code, rebalancing of engine sounds and various sound effects (also replacing a few placeholders used in the original video); updated physics and increased game graphical settings.

Should be stated perhaps that this still isn´t the most exciting car / track combo or settings to promote AMS2 which wasn´t really the point of the original video - obviously we miscalculated how closely people would be looking!

This is a better representation of AMS2 in its current stage of development but it´s still a WIP - things will change as we progress to release and continue to afterwards. Such is the nature of the thing...

So, what do you think?

AMS 2 Image 6.jpg

Automobilista 2 will release for PC December 2019.

For the latest Automobilista 2 news and discussions, head over to the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the conversation today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I saw some people disagree with me. The specularity of grass which I am talking about is not really true specularity effect, but it acts pretty much on same angle, it is not a reflection of light or anything, but simply just specularity colour, which is result of sun light shining through leaves, which should result in yellowish color tone. And it can be achieved in track models with primitive texture carpets + 2d fins that everybody for some reason are calling 3D grass.

storyblocks-the-light-of-low-sun-on-sunset-shining-through-some-trees-and-leaving-path-of-light-on-the-grass_Bg4-iCYJm_SB_PM.jpg

Just like in GT Sport. Lawn and most other stuff gets yellowish tone when in specularity zone.
RQun6kl.png

A GTS video:

Though there is a bit of weird exposure stuff going on there in GTS. But overall colours are so fine. But prebaked raytracing must help a lot there. Still they have to have shaders and textures nailed.

Last edited:
Is there any info on if Kickstarter backers from AMS1 who backed for AMS1 and AMS2 plus all DLC are still getting ams2 and dlc? The whole new backing program without a mention of the previous has me confused.

Improved visuals. That´s the way to go until first release. I hope there is much more improvement to come.

If you check the Snetterton track in Project Cars 2, it is a lot more detailed than this one. Also, the interior
of the car looks low resolution for today´s standard graphics. The lighting effects are good enough though.

Project Cars 2 is a very nice looking and graphically detailed game. If Automobilista 2 can match it, we should
be more than happy with it, because what really matters is the physics, and Reiza will cover that department
prertty well, I´m sure.

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding about what this video was - it and the original were part of our monthly development update, which are intended to offer some insight into our development process, the things we are working on, new licenses we´ve acquired, and anything that we find to be interesting from a development perspective, not only for AMS2 but also other projects which are still active.

This past month we ran into this unusual overlap of working on the same tracks for both the “old” and the “new” sim, which seemed to me would make for an interesting bit of material in the dev update. Turns out that was a mistake, not only because the AMS2 footage on the 1st video was somewhat sloppily put together, but also because some people will scrutinize every second of a video to death to a wide variety of hasted conclusions :p in the meantime the whole context of the dev update it had been a part of was lost in the shuffle.

It´s the nature of these things - we are obviously dealing with a lot bigger expectations and attention for AMS2 and it may be that more discretion is in order, but eventually the sim will do its own talking and everyone will be able to judge for themselves :)

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding about what this video was - it and the original were part of our monthly development update, which are intended to offer some insight into our development process, the things we are working on, new licenses we´ve acquired, and anything that we find to be interesting from a development perspective, not only for AMS2 but also other projects which are still active.

This past month we ran into this unusual overlap of working on the same tracks for both the “old” and the “new” sim, which seemed to me would make for an interesting bit of material in the dev update. Turns out that was a mistake, not only because the AMS2 footage on the 1st video was somewhat sloppily put together, but also because some people will scrutinize every second of a video to death to a wide variety of hasted conclusions :p in the meantime the whole context of the dev update it had been a part of was lost in the shuffle.

It´s the nature of these things - we are obviously dealing with a lot bigger expectations and attention for AMS2 and it may be that more discretion is in order, but eventually the sim will do its own talking and everyone will be able to judge for themselves :)
IMHO, another thing that Reiza should address is that there is a perception that, because you are using the Madness engine, the physics/FFB of AMS2 will be similar to Project Cars 2.

People love AMS1 in good part because of the physics/FFB and a lot of those same people loath Projects Cars 2 because of SMS' implementation of physics/FFB in the Project Cars 2 title.

I think that Reiza should reassure us that the physics/FFB in AMS2 is really a successor to AMS1 and not a successor to Project Cars 2.

I have been having a blast in AMS1 recently. Thanks to having no VR on holliday, I found it a great opportunity to drive around in AMS1. Love the formula extreme cars, the boxer cup car is also unbelievably good and the stock cars are just fun! Now I need to git gud... I must confess that the DFGT does lack some details that I am used to in the TS-PC RACER... I still need to get used to driving it.

AMS2 will be amazing I am sure. And using the madness engine was the right move imho. It is capable of great things! Looking forward to your implementation of it!

Well yes, but in the original side-by-side AMS v AMS2 video, the AMS screen definitely still looked sharper.

AMS1 does not use Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA) which is employed in the Madness Engine. TAA can notoriously make things more blurry but takes care of much more than edge aliasing and necessary in modern DX11/12 engines. In AMS1, regular DX9 AA is employed for a super good and sharp result combined with NVIDIA specific AA settings (do not remember its technical denomination). Also, the road textures in AMS1 are absolutely top notch and Reiza mentioned doing something about them for AMS2. I've played quite a bit of AMS1 at 4K / 60 fps, with everything maxed out and the game looks super nice and crisp. Much more than it is given credit for by people dismissing it on that subject alone.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea