Assetto Corsa Competizione: Release Five Out Now

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Release 5 3.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni have deployed the fifth major build update to Assetto Corsa Competizione today - adding the Emil Frey Jaguar G3 and Circuit Zolder to the simulation.

I suppose anyone who has a passing interest in sim racing has already downloaded, installed and played the new update already, so this article is pretty much preaching to the converted, but just in case you are not still immersed in the new update on your gaming PC, here's the details for what comes included with build release number five:

Release Five Notes:
  • New Emil Frey Jaguar G3 car.
  • New laser-scanned Circuit Zolder racetrack.
  • New special events with online leaderboards.
  • Fixed disappearing main menu UI in VR.
  • Texture memory optimizations.
  • Fixed a chase cam rotation bug.
  • Fixed a TV camera bug.
  • Car light improvements in TV camera views.
  • New inertia calculation method and new more accurate inertia value (advice for setups, use a softer fast damper to let the body move and settle, instead of having the car and wheels jumping)
  • New motion ratio calculation for dampers resulting in more accurate values dedicated to each car.
  • New ABS feature. ABS now never let’s higher than 70% difference between left and right brake pressure. Improves behavior on extreme torque vectoring, like braking and going through a water puddle with one side of the car, but can result in inner wheel locking if driver insists braking hard while turning into a turn. Might need more rear brake bias on certain cars.
  • Improved ABS logic, resulting in better turn-in under braking, on certain cars (most notably modern cars such as the Huracán, F488, BMW M6).
  • Improved TC off on gear-change functionality. TC is instantly switched off and on again when a gear change occurs, in order to protect the engine and drivetrain from heavy vibrations,
  • especially on situations where kerbs and the engine limiter are involved (part of real cars’ TC logic too, occasionally they will even not allow the gearchange). Now the TC off timing is car-dedicated and optimized. Some cars might handle a gear change better than others.
  • Improved tyre thermal model, especially wet tyres.
  • Improved tyre grip when tyres are overheated, such as after a spin.
  • More tyre wear when tyres are overheated, no free meal.
  • Corrected bumpstop position and functionality of the Ferrari 488 GT3.
  • New ECU maps for all cars. ECU maps now influence power, fuel consumption and throttle maps. Usually, the lower number is the more powerful and has the most power consumption. After the initial 3-4 values, it switches to wet ECU maps with similar power and fuel consumption but different throttle maps. Please check the official forum for all the released cars’ ECU map characteristics.
  • New launch control for all cars. Now with manual clutch, just engage 1st gear, put the clutch and accelerator to the floor and the engine will stabilize around 5000rpm. Release the clutch gradually while keeping the accelerator fully open to avoid stalling.
    Audio engine optimizations
  • Fixed potential wrong volumes switching cameras
  • Fixed time multiplier for the end race replay
  • Fixed wrong track map cars position during replay
  • Intro sequence updated

Now that isn't too bad of an update change log is it?

ACC Release 5 1.jpg
ACC Release 5 2.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 5 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the Jaguar, certainly a challenge around Zolder but this is a big appeal of ACC for me - to try and master cars with very different handling characteristics. The sound issue has been acknowledged and will be addressed with a hotfix according to a dev.

Zolder is a roller coaster of a track with some dramatic elevation changes and kerbs likely to put you in near earth orbit if you hit them at speed. I initially thought racing around this tight and unforgiving circuit would be difficult, but after a few laps I felt comfortable competing with the AI and even started to work my way through the field without any incidents.

I'm seeing a bit of a performance hit compared with previous builds, and I've have had to reduced the number of AI to compensate but hopefully this is just part of the EA process. I'm still optimistic we'll have a great game when it's completed, but I feel Kunos have a lot of work to do if they want to hit that Q1 release date.

This sim is allowing me to take a second look and enjoy tracks I barely drove in other offerings.
The last time I even remotely looked at Zolder was in RTP I believe.
In all the years of simracing combined, I'd probably run Circuit Paul Ricard...oh!...maybe ten laps all toll.
AC and of late RF2 are still my 'go-to' titles for the most part but this will catch up fast, once it has the full content.
KS and company are doing a great job given the time frame from initial offering to present.

... but i couldn’t imagine it was sooo narrow. Was it the same in the old F1 layout from the eighties as far as you know?

I'm pretty certain it was. there is at least one whole length f1 race from the seventies on youtube, watched that some weeks back and the track looked pretty much the same. don't forget it's the track where villeneuve died because maas moved to the wrong side when he wanted to give way on his outlap. sounds like a narrow track incident to me.

im gutted about the multiplayer delay, hopefully it'll be good when it comes as this game will depend on it, unless the career is f1 games standard
regarding vr, this game was so poor performing that i actually converted to an ultrawide because of it, i was one of the no vr no buy guys and now thanks to this game being poor in vr i have converted to a monitor and am very happy and don't use vr anymore, i had only ever raced in vr (vr got me into sim racing), it took some time and eye strain to adjust to 2d but i feel the upsides out weigh the downside at the moment

Any update on triple screen support?

Nope and I wouldn't hope for anything any time soon as this post time ago from Kunos' Staff tells:

Dear racing fellows -
I just wanted to drop a message from us all here and the most valuable reason is that it's basically awesome to look over a discussion that has been kept constructive, polite, single-thread organized and full of good technical content.
Thanks to Aris for keeping me up to date on this topic.

As you may know, our very developed habit of avoiding replies on something we can't guarantee to achieve immediately has been kept solidly live in our AC brand history, and so we'll do on this topic. Having a taste of a promise and then watching all of our imagination crashing into a wall has never been a good feeling for us, and surely you won't be exposed to that too :D

What we wanted now was a solid reply for you to keep this thread live just like you're doing.

Triple monitor dedicated support isn't natively supported in Unreal Engine 4, just like other features that we already worked on for AC Competizione. Some of these were easy to workaround, some others were so "game-core" that a full concentration of efforts was not avoidable, or simply need to have something else implemented before them. BTW, all of these choices have been made quite some time ago, while the core of the ACC was not there even. At the moment, except for drastic solutions we've read (i.e. replace monitor with an Ultra Wide one), we know that a good amount of professional partners of us deployed ACC with a wider angle triple monitor in a 5760*1080 res. set on the graphics card tool suite, that is less affected by deformation related visibility issues, with good results I must say. That said, we so know that you want a better implementation and as said above if it was an easy solution, it would have been already implemented. We can’t tell more about the subject right now and unfortunately a triple monitor dedicated support isn't something we can guarantee in this precise moment, but we do read you and hear you and the topic is in our list.

Please keep enjoying this conversation
Sincerely

My opinion it is game for consoles, simple as that. We can see by the GUI, HUDs, everyhing. I love AC and really hoped for something similar.

Polarizing opinions seem to show that the major difficulty ( graphics wise ) that ACC has is having a middle ground... for some looks like crap...for some is awesome... this to me is the only drawback of using unreal engine, that and the fact that is out of Kunos control certain optimizations and implementations .... lets see where it goes after the mentioned rewrite, see if it affects the general performance and gameplay for the best in terms of having more of a middle ground.

Hotfix available. For me the game looks great but the problem is overall stability. I can't drive proparly without my locked 144fps. Probably final optimisation for 1.0 or not if they can't handle this UE4...
Well for now back to Automobilista that i discovered a few days ago and i have to say the combo physics/ffb is for me the best so far even superior than rFactor 2. The vintage and retro formula are amazing in this game !

Zolder is great! (as someone else mentioned, racing is like a knife fight in a phone booth). It will be really interesting to hear Kunos talk about their experience building the game and the decisions they made throughout when ACC is completed. (provided they will want to talk at all. lol.) I would like to hear Stefano and Marco's thoughts on whether or not they felt building with UE4 worked as they hoped etc.

They will know what the deal is when it's said and done. As of now, it is still beta, still Kunos, and I'm still looking forward to ACC and much more.:)

Dude , launch the game into 2D mode and map a button for vr centre view ; sounds like you have accidently unmapped the shift spacebar centre vr view.

Did that and it works fine, but only when in-car. The problem remains with the Main Screen where you make all of your selections pre-race (ie - the UI screen). That screen remains way below my POV making it almost impossible to make selections.

Any ideas on how to get the Main Menu screen centered in VR (WMR)?

Thanks!

• Deleted member 379375

What he is actually saying is " I'm to lazy and gullible to do my own research , so I'll just take CNN's word for it.

Yeah I took their word for it re Flynn , Manafort, Popadopoulas,Cohen, Stormy Daniels etc and I feel really stupid now :O_o:

Yes. In Windows Media Reality window, press the icon to open the settings in the left, click -> run setup -> seated position -> CENTER
Tried that too. Unfortunately ACC's Main Menu screen remains W-A-Y too low to be of much use.

Note: When I do manage to get in the car, centering the driving view DOES work, so I think the problem rests with ACC, not WMR.

Impressed with Zolder - plus spinning turbines! Nothing to do with driving, I know, but track-side animations are a welcome addition. Jag is well done, but not my type. The M6 around Zolder is a blast! Looking forward to the Aston. Thanks Kunos!

Tried that too. Unfortunately ACC's Main Menu screen remains W-A-Y too low to be of much use.

Note: When I do manage to get in the car, centering the driving view DOES work, so I think the problem rests with ACC, not WMR.

Yes ACC has that problem. Its just not worth the hassle for VR yet. I don't want to break more furniture because of it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back