Assetto Corsa Competizione: Release Five Out Now

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Release 5 3.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni have deployed the fifth major build update to Assetto Corsa Competizione today - adding the Emil Frey Jaguar G3 and Circuit Zolder to the simulation.

I suppose anyone who has a passing interest in sim racing has already downloaded, installed and played the new update already, so this article is pretty much preaching to the converted, but just in case you are not still immersed in the new update on your gaming PC, here's the details for what comes included with build release number five:

Release Five Notes:
  • New Emil Frey Jaguar G3 car.
  • New laser-scanned Circuit Zolder racetrack.
  • New special events with online leaderboards.
  • Fixed disappearing main menu UI in VR.
  • Texture memory optimizations.
  • Fixed a chase cam rotation bug.
  • Fixed a TV camera bug.
  • Car light improvements in TV camera views.
  • New inertia calculation method and new more accurate inertia value (advice for setups, use a softer fast damper to let the body move and settle, instead of having the car and wheels jumping)
  • New motion ratio calculation for dampers resulting in more accurate values dedicated to each car.
  • New ABS feature. ABS now never let’s higher than 70% difference between left and right brake pressure. Improves behavior on extreme torque vectoring, like braking and going through a water puddle with one side of the car, but can result in inner wheel locking if driver insists braking hard while turning into a turn. Might need more rear brake bias on certain cars.
  • Improved ABS logic, resulting in better turn-in under braking, on certain cars (most notably modern cars such as the Huracán, F488, BMW M6).
  • Improved TC off on gear-change functionality. TC is instantly switched off and on again when a gear change occurs, in order to protect the engine and drivetrain from heavy vibrations,
  • especially on situations where kerbs and the engine limiter are involved (part of real cars’ TC logic too, occasionally they will even not allow the gearchange). Now the TC off timing is car-dedicated and optimized. Some cars might handle a gear change better than others.
  • Improved tyre thermal model, especially wet tyres.
  • Improved tyre grip when tyres are overheated, such as after a spin.
  • More tyre wear when tyres are overheated, no free meal.
  • Corrected bumpstop position and functionality of the Ferrari 488 GT3.
  • New ECU maps for all cars. ECU maps now influence power, fuel consumption and throttle maps. Usually, the lower number is the more powerful and has the most power consumption. After the initial 3-4 values, it switches to wet ECU maps with similar power and fuel consumption but different throttle maps. Please check the official forum for all the released cars’ ECU map characteristics.
  • New launch control for all cars. Now with manual clutch, just engage 1st gear, put the clutch and accelerator to the floor and the engine will stabilize around 5000rpm. Release the clutch gradually while keeping the accelerator fully open to avoid stalling.
    Audio engine optimizations
  • Fixed potential wrong volumes switching cameras
  • Fixed time multiplier for the end race replay
  • Fixed wrong track map cars position during replay
  • Intro sequence updated

Now that isn't too bad of an update change log is it?

ACC Release 5 1.jpg
ACC Release 5 2.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 5 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
This engine no doubt has issues with certain hardware. I wish this wasn't the case. I think this may hurt sales in the long run. I also am sure that those behind-the-scenes discussions resulted in a compromise by Kunos. What choice do they have? Someone else owns it now, though they say they are still somewhat in charge. Everyone needs to be happy in the company especially those paying the bills. So, I think they ware working with what they can now that the UE4 engine was 'decided' upon. Perhaps if they had their choice entirely we would not be having this discussion

Hello Kunos, is anybody there? What about mouse support in VR? It seems to be really good, if only I could reliably select what I want to do in the menu. C'mon Kunos, pull your finger out: VR is the future and not just a passing fad. They should've offered mouse support for VR from the start, very disapointing

I see we still run the RD championship for pointless exaggerations.

I run VR smooth and with growing visual quality since first release. Either one likes it, or not. But "unplayable", and telling that as if it is generally so for everybody - that is completely pointless a statement.

The Zolder track is great. The car turns like a brick on locked wheels. The Jag most likely will not become my thing.
Haha it isn't smooth for me, and seems to be the case for quite a few. I've seen more posts about VR being problematic vs being good. Not completely pointless but what ever you say:thumbsup:

I'm enjoying the latest VR, and good old fashioned flat screen in full 4k too before I get accused of being just for VR. I can understand the frustration with technical issues too but so far it works for me.

ACC plays well in VR for me, stable framerate, great gameplay. Here's a few laps from a night race at Zolder in the 488 and for me the lighting is stunning - the way the individual lights illuminate the cockpit and then fall away. The red warning lights on the windfarm blades flashing in the distance, a small but brilliant effect. Racing the AI is also great fun, they race close and fair and the extra situational awareness of VR makes racing so much better. I deliberately started at the back in the video because I enjoy the chase through the field. I truly enjoy the way the AI can be trusted, they brake and corner consistently, I know what they are going to do, as with most real track drivers so I can anticipate accordingly, it makes for some great firm, fair and fun racing in my opinion. If you think I say this as a Kunos fan, I'm not one at all after plenty of issues with the console version of AC, I'm just speaking as I find this game so far. It feels like being in the enclosed space of a racing car at night and the racing is excitng, personally that is all I ask of a racing game and this is still Early Access.

The clarity of the cockpit graphics and the opposition cars is as good as any of the competitor games to my eyes, I ran this scenario back to back with PCARS2 and the difference in terms of graphics quality in VR is minimal. PCARS2 is slightly clearer but nothing of real note.

Recorded in 1080p 60fps. I'm sure the VR experts will be able to point out what's wrong but it's more than good enough for me!

In both VR and normal screen the steering feel is intuitive on my TX458/599XX, there is still something not quite as tactile as AC but I'd struggle to define exactly what that is. I like the feedback of the rating system too, even though it doesn't always tell me what I want.

Good job so far and I look forward to how the game progresses, it's been worth the price of entry already.

If I had to take a guess, I think Kunos is playing the long game here...with consoles becoming more and more capable of providing sim titles for the larger gaming audience, combined with the continued rise of VR and the heavy push of companies offering higher end console-compatible hardware (in particular Fanatec and the upcoming PS4 Podium), ACC might ruffle a few feathers in the PC hardcore sim non-VR (i.e. triple screen) market...which, don't get me wrong, I'm a card-carrying member...but it might open them to much bigger sales figures if they play their cards right: there are A LOT of PS4 consoles out there, it's the 6th best selling console or portable of all time at 91 million units thus far. This revenue could in turn possibly fund a "true" successor to the original AC (and by "true", I mean that it would be more mod-friendly and jack-of-all-trades out the gate).

This is of course hoping Kunos and ACC don't turn into the next Codies' F1 series and do only ACC style games for 7 years before dropping the real AC2 :roflmao:...:O_o:...:(

;)

Finally was able to try the car and track.
I had a great driving experience. I really liked Zolder. I was not expecting that as already drove it on other sims but I am quiet happy with it. I just don't like the damn chicanes but they are not that bad.
The Jaguar is great ! For me it was a very refreshing feeling. The car is totally different from the rest, has a lot of character and feels very very live, compared to the numb sensation I got from the BMW and Bentley.
I did a race weekend with 16 cars, fps game capped at 82 all the time, no stutters, no slow downs not a single quirk.
The only think, and this is in general for me, is the missing feedback when the TC and ABS takes action. I remember I can clearly feel/hear that on AC but I am not perceiving it on ACC.
So far I am happy with ACC.

Before ACC was released the community (or some part of it) was complaining how it's GT3 only, cars will be easy to drive and feel the same and the only thing great would be the graphics. Now, here we are, saying all cars are distinct, have their character, they are a challenge to be quick in consistently and we are complaining about the graphics. Ironic? :roflmao:

Before ACC was released the community (or some part of it) was complaining how it's GT3 only, cars will be easy to drive and feel the same and the only thing great would be the graphics. Now, here we are, saying all cars are distinct, have their character, they are a challenge to be quick in consistently and we are complaining about the graphics. Ironic? :roflmao:

True. :p

For me it's kinda positive thing: physics evolved more than I was expecting. More things to worry, more engaging driving experience. :)

Did that and it works fine, but only when in-car. The problem remains with the Main Screen where you make all of your selections pre-race (ie - the UI screen). That screen remains way below my POV making it almost impossible to make selections.

Any ideas on how to get the Main Menu screen centered in VR (WMR)?

Thanks!
Haven't tried it with the latest ACC version: there is a workaround where you configure the menus to be always in front of you, it maybe irritating but at least you can use them. Change the value "mainMenuLayerType" to 2 in Users\YourUsername\Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\Config\vrsettings.json. My vrsettings.jason looks like this (running a Acer WMR set):

{
"mainMenuLayerDistance": 100,
"mainMenuLayerSize": 160,
"mainMenuLayerType": 2,
"raceMenuLayerDistance": 80,
"raceMenuLayerSize": 78,
"raceMenuLayerType": 2,
"hUDLayerDistance": 70,
"hUDLayerSize": 80,
"hUDLayerType": 2,
"spectatorScreenMode": 5
}
https://www.reddit.com/r/ACCompetizione/comments/a0u956/menu_screens_in_vr_far_away_and_steep_angle/

Had a go with the new 0.5.1 yesterday. Man, I really forgot how to tackle Zolder I have to admit. Has been ages since I last drove that circuit in R3E. Even had a look on the visual ideal line yesterday to help me figure some corners out again. :roflmao:
Zolder is growing on me again, but as many out there I am not too fond of the chicanes. But really interesting how differently the cars can be used over the higher kerbs. I feel the Ferrari is better kept away from those at the chicanes altogether, where you can use them much better especially with the front engined cars. I like how the cars feel completely different from each other.

Not so much love for the Jag though. I cannot get my head around that car atm. Too heavy front, too lively rear. Maybe you can dial some of that out with a different setup, but I fear that car is not my cup of tea. From the front engined cars only the BMW is up my alley for now. Curious how the Nissan will compare in the next update.

So far I think it is (again) a solid upgrade for the EA. Have to invest more time to do some races next. :)

Cheers

I run a i7 7700k and 1080ti, both overclocked, I can get decent settings when I'm the only car on the track, looks good although a little blurrier than other games. In a race with AI the settings, supersampling etc need taking wayyyy down to hit a constant 90fps, ASW at 45fps is unacceptable to me, it's like watching a slow motion film to me, Until it's better optimised i'm racing on triples (looks decent for me even though not supported)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 261 13.6%