Assetto Corsa Competizione: Release Five Out Now

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Release 5 3.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni have deployed the fifth major build update to Assetto Corsa Competizione today - adding the Emil Frey Jaguar G3 and Circuit Zolder to the simulation.

I suppose anyone who has a passing interest in sim racing has already downloaded, installed and played the new update already, so this article is pretty much preaching to the converted, but just in case you are not still immersed in the new update on your gaming PC, here's the details for what comes included with build release number five:

Release Five Notes:
  • New Emil Frey Jaguar G3 car.
  • New laser-scanned Circuit Zolder racetrack.
  • New special events with online leaderboards.
  • Fixed disappearing main menu UI in VR.
  • Texture memory optimizations.
  • Fixed a chase cam rotation bug.
  • Fixed a TV camera bug.
  • Car light improvements in TV camera views.
  • New inertia calculation method and new more accurate inertia value (advice for setups, use a softer fast damper to let the body move and settle, instead of having the car and wheels jumping)
  • New motion ratio calculation for dampers resulting in more accurate values dedicated to each car.
  • New ABS feature. ABS now never let’s higher than 70% difference between left and right brake pressure. Improves behavior on extreme torque vectoring, like braking and going through a water puddle with one side of the car, but can result in inner wheel locking if driver insists braking hard while turning into a turn. Might need more rear brake bias on certain cars.
  • Improved ABS logic, resulting in better turn-in under braking, on certain cars (most notably modern cars such as the Huracán, F488, BMW M6).
  • Improved TC off on gear-change functionality. TC is instantly switched off and on again when a gear change occurs, in order to protect the engine and drivetrain from heavy vibrations,
  • especially on situations where kerbs and the engine limiter are involved (part of real cars’ TC logic too, occasionally they will even not allow the gearchange). Now the TC off timing is car-dedicated and optimized. Some cars might handle a gear change better than others.
  • Improved tyre thermal model, especially wet tyres.
  • Improved tyre grip when tyres are overheated, such as after a spin.
  • More tyre wear when tyres are overheated, no free meal.
  • Corrected bumpstop position and functionality of the Ferrari 488 GT3.
  • New ECU maps for all cars. ECU maps now influence power, fuel consumption and throttle maps. Usually, the lower number is the more powerful and has the most power consumption. After the initial 3-4 values, it switches to wet ECU maps with similar power and fuel consumption but different throttle maps. Please check the official forum for all the released cars’ ECU map characteristics.
  • New launch control for all cars. Now with manual clutch, just engage 1st gear, put the clutch and accelerator to the floor and the engine will stabilize around 5000rpm. Release the clutch gradually while keeping the accelerator fully open to avoid stalling.
    Audio engine optimizations
  • Fixed potential wrong volumes switching cameras
  • Fixed time multiplier for the end race replay
  • Fixed wrong track map cars position during replay
  • Intro sequence updated

Now that isn't too bad of an update change log is it?

ACC Release 5 1.jpg
ACC Release 5 2.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 5 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
What he is actually saying is " I'm to lazy and gullible to do my own research , so I'll just take CNN's word for it.
Ouch, my feelings, my precious feelings! There is also the changelog annnnnd it doesn't state performance improvement in VR, there is also the fact that mearly everyone wants this to be great and for many it's just not. On a sim racing forum i feel i get a good general consensus.

I really hope the next update is performance related but i wont hold my breath.

Pretty happy with the new update... it runs smoothly in Full HD and in VR (OR CV1) at least to me, even at night with 21 opponents and thunderstorm in Zolder.

The Jaguar is really bumpy on the kerbs and chicanes with the basic setup... need to work a lot on that.

The track is visually stunning... but i couldn’t imagine it was sooo narrow. Was it the same in the old F1 layout from the eighties as far as you know?

Oh, my config is quite outdated (i5 from 2014, 1070ti mini and 16gb DDR3 Ram).
I guess SSD HD are maybe a big advantage... also... I run Windows 7 Ultimate edition.
Could more recent OS influence negatively the performance of the sim-racers with a more powerful config than mine who are complaining about the graphic outcome? Just a thought.

It's funny, in e.g. AC I can't drive the F2004 without TC quickly and consistently, while I can drive any other F1 car that doesn't have TC without any problems with oversteer. I think it really must be connected to engine maps or something similar.
The contrary here, I can drive all great formula mords, specially the new one from RSS F2000. Although its a brutal formula car, I feel way more confident into it, I can feel what it will do in the next step - this is now whats happening with GT3 in ACC; and keep in mind GT3 has waay less downforce and power that F1 from 2000, which didn`t even have any TC and stuff. But I can constalty drive laps; which I cannot say for ACC cars. They are keep surprising you with with some sudden unexpected moves. I really wouldn`t say GT3 cars loose grip that sudden. But there are lots of factors that influence on that in ACC, which simulates more things that AC does. Do weather, track temp, humidity of it, also bumps and rebouns of the tarmac it self; and as we know car is better implmented as well.
I know Kunos will do best he can, and fixes will come too. If we remember, AC needed few years to develop to the stage which is now, ACC is still in beta version.
Just don`t get me wrong, I like ACC, just need to polish it a bit more, to become a No1.
--

BTW, what laptime you guys did with the Jag@Zolder? My best if I recall is 1.30.2 (no aids). When driving on 95% I can constantly do laps around 1.31.0 (with a bit modified base setup, to stabilize rear end).

Anyone else feel FFB was much better in the last build? It's much closer to AC now (~zero feedback unless there's real lateral load), but for me build 4 FFB felt a lot more natural (took effort to turn the wheel even well below the limit). Not sure what's going on to be honest.

Well...
What is this sound for the Jag? Just terrible.
Why did they change the transmission's whining noise? It's hideous now... hate it.
Also the game looks crap, literally. Just terrible. Even AC looks better... this is not a progress....

Rain is really awesome, but something in first release just ticked all the boxes for all round handling including driving in wet, to me wet surface driving is great peace of puzzle for validating good physics. But whatever... you know I'm HATIN' lol

Still no need for changing line in the wet (right?), though I was slightly convinced, but to be multiple seconds faster in a track while using longer trajectories has to be quite noticeable I suppose, at least it is noticeable in wet Goodwood mod attempt for AC.

Performance seems better, but it still stutters for me. Moving picture is not that nice, but probably just because not using absolute high-end hardware. So my fault of course.

I have occasional crashes and I have to reboot the game.

Well gave it a twirl, as I do each update, don't really have anything positive to say other than, with a total rewrite of the code there is at least hope. I have no super computer but it's got enough balls to run everything maxed out graphically with good fps in all the sims I use (which is the majority of the main suspects), so why does ACC look so bad, how can a DX9 sim look better than the latest bells'n'whistles release? Is U4 the right engine to use? Will take 2 be any better than take 1? How long does a total rewrite take? Will there ever be an overtake seen at Zolder in a 24hr race?
No endurance enthusiast by a long mark, so apologies for such a dumb question. Why are such tight twisty tracks so popular? Imola & Zolder seem a tad small to throw such a gaggle of cars on. Is it just a case of finding tracks that still allow 24hr racing?
Hope Kunos can come up with the goods though as there appears a lot of endurance fans out there with high hopes. The more sims the merrier as far as I'm concerned, as long as they at least reach the bar of the sims that are already available.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 88 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 71 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 97 14.0%