AMS 2 | Update 0.8.7.1 Is Here - Now Includes Time Trial

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Automobilista 2 Early Access fans rejoice - a new build, new features and new content is now available.

Released last night, version 0.8.7.1 of AMS 2 is in the wild, and with it comes a first pass at the new Time Trail functionality within the simulation, as well as the inclusion of the very cool looking 1986 Opala Stock Car season!

V0.8.7.1 CHANGELOG:

GENERAL

• Enabled Time Trial Mode
  • Player now has complete control in pits if Pit Stop Control is set to "Manual" in Gameplay Options (no longer gets automatically held up due to incoming traffic)
  • Implemented new CutTrackFraction logic for detecting how far back a track limit infringement in previous lap invalidates the next one (5% of track length in practice, 10% in qualifying, 15% in Time Trial)
  • Fix bug where spawning in garage in between sessions would cause Trucks to crash into the garage
CONTENT
  • Added Opala Stock Cars 1986 Season
UI & HUD
  • Added missing F-Trainer A vehicle specs; Corrected Puma GTB, Super V8, Lancer R & RS, Copa Classic specs
  • Fixed AJR V6 short name in session config screen
  • Added new 'Full' variation of the Laptime Info HUD element (gives past lap info or Time Trial info depending on game mode/session)
  • Moved Laptime info position slightly higher in default layout
PHYSICS & FFB
  • Added "Tyre Scrub to Rack" effect to FX FFB slider (New Default profile only
  • Added "Min force" FFB funcion, disabled by default (can be activated in custom FFB file)
  • Minor FFB adjustments to various cars to better suit New Default profile
  • Increased FFB smoothness for FWD cars
  • Fixed remaining issues with excessive brake wear
  • Revised drivelines for all TC Classics, AJR, F-Vintages, F-Classics Lancers, Ultimas to correct excessive drivetrain losses & inertia
  • Fixed suspension physics for Copa Classic B Passat
  • Minor adjustments to tyre tread & carcass for Copa Classic, Lancers, Opalas, Ultima Race, AJR, Stock Car & F-Classic
  • Added wet tyre options for Lancers & Copa Classics
  • Corrected excessive engine boost in Lancer R & RS
  • Fixed wrong default tyre option in some TC Classics that could cause CTDs
  • Reduced front ride height range & moved diffuser center of pressure forward by 8cm in Metalmoro AJR for more accurate aero balance (all variants)
  • F-Classics Gen1&2: moved diffuser center of pressure forward by 2cm for more accurate aero balance, increased diffuser downforce loss with yaw
  • F-Classic (all Gens): Adjusted default setup (stiffer rear ARB, corrected ride height inconsistencies); fixed V8 engine wear range
AI
  • Disabled glitchy AI function that would cause it to behave erratically while trying to weave out of the way under blue flag in Practice & Quali (AI will now just reduce speed to let faster car by)
  • Adjusted AI behavior under yellow flag (a bit less overzealous)
  • Revised AI damper rates for all cars
  • Minor AI performance tweak to Londrina (both layouts)
TRACKS
  • Corrected environment & track temperature ranges for South American tracks
  • Interlagos Kart: Fixed layout 3 fences and walls missing when running less than High Track Detail
VEHICLES
  • Passat Copa Classic B: Updated interior textures, corrected collision mesh
  • Puma P052: Updated cockpit interior textures; updated liveries for #03 #05 #08 #35 #36 #52 #65 #78 & added Community skins #55 #56 #58 #60
  • Sprint Race: Added rear brake lights

To get an idea of the future development direction for Automobilista 2, check out the recent development roadmap HERE.

Original Source :Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now in Steam Early Access.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

Critique: The save/load of setups is the worst I have ever used.:rolleyes:
Speaking of which…when you’re driving a car you’ve previously done anything to in the setup screens, you see the text “Loading…” briefly displayed when you click the ‘edit setup’ button. That’s ambiguous and really needs to be clarified. It could mean either of these two things:
a) Your most recently used setup for the current car is simply being “loaded” into the interface for viewing or further editing.
b) Your most recently used setup for the current car is actually being “loaded” onto the car and until you do so the car is using the default setup values.

If it’s a) then you really don’t need to go into the setup editor at all if you think your last experience with the current car was fine and you just want to drive. If it’s b) then you always have to go into the setup editor if you want to go out with the car having your most recently used settings.

Another item of ambiguity is the * character being appended to the setup name. What does that actually mean? Probably just that the setup is actually associated with a different track, but we shouldn’t have to guess at these things. It reminds me of the (1) nomenclature in AMS 1.

But my personal guess is that it is what it is because it was/is an integrated part of the pCars2 thing.
Yawn. :sleep:

One day people will realise that a game engine is merely the foundation. It is not the walls, the roof, the windows and doors, the interior decoration, or the garden outside. There are already a hundred-and-one things that were in PCars 2 and have been completely changed or removed in AMS 2, so that old line is becoming a little tiresome.

Yawn. :sleep:

One day people will realise that a game engine is merely the foundation. It is not the walls, the roof, the windows and doors, the interior decoration, or the garden outside. There are already a hundred-and-one things that were in PCars 2 and have been completely changed or removed in AMS 2, so that old line is becoming a little tiresome.
Agree 100% :thumbsup:...If I personally did not like AMS2 ATM, but did not want to remove / delete it, I would leave it alone for 6 months and come back to it later as I have plenty of other Sims to occupy me in the mean time....I think I would be amazed at the difference in development over that period based on how Reiza are implementing the updates ATM.
...having said that, I am not going to leave it for 6 months as I personally am very happy with AMS2 ATM, also knowing it is a WIP EA title with years a development ahead....wow, what is AMS2 going to be like in 2 years...'Awesometacular' I feel :inlove::thumbsup::thumbsup:.
6 AMS2 COPA CLASSIC B at INTERLAGOS crop copy.jpg
4 AMS2 OPALA Old STOCK at INTERLAGOS crop copy.jpg

Last edited:
There are already a hundred-and-one things that were in PCars 2 and have been completely changed or removed in AMS 2, so that old line is becoming a little tiresome.
Just because there are 101 things changed compared to pCars2 is completely irrelevant here.
My critique of this awfull setup save/create new system is solely based on the "fact" that its a complete pain in the ass.
And I dont care if you feel a little tiresome.:roflmao:

My remark about the relationship to pCars2 was solely made because when I realised how idiotic this setup management system is working I suddenly thought: what what? I have experienced exactly this idiotic sequence before.
And honestly I couldnt remember where at first because I havent started pCars2 up the last year - because...:roflmao:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: My guess is that the reason for this awward and irritating thing is that the name of a setup is saved in the setup header itself while the description is saved as a relation to the setup file in some index file. The same can be experienced in Raceroom where there is a slight lag when the description of a setup is saved "beside" the setup file itself. But my oppinion is that where Raceroom have solved this "problem" 100% perfect AMS2 have (until now) 101% mistreated/spoiled it.:rolleyes:

AMS2 is great as I'm trying new and wonderful classes out. I guess I've been drawn into basically driving the same sort of cars in different sims and it's actually great not to be driving a GT3 car, a Porsche or a Ferrari.
Variety is the spice of life...and AMS certainly has that....VW bugs and Formula Truck....love it. I did not expect to be so blown away with AMS 2 being an AMS1 fan, but it is really good.....Can I hope for Flugplatz?

Just because there are 101 things changed compared to pCars2 is completely irrelevant here.
Well no, based on your comment guessing that it is an "integrated part of the PCars 2 thing", it's entirely relevant. The fact that so much is completely different between AMS 2 and PCars 2 shows that very few things are "integrated" and that almost anything can be tweaked, changed, or removed. This is especially true of the front-end, which is nothing more than a bunch of image files displayed at various co-ordinates on the users monitor.

Most of that can already be tweaked by the end-user if they're so inclined (I've spent copious amounts of time poking around the files), so it's hardly going to be an issue for Reiza themselves. It'll just be at the end of their list given that it's not a priority. It may even not be done by v1.0 because they've said themselves that AMS 2 is a long-term project and development will not stop with the full release.

There are already a hundred-and-one things that were in PCars 2 and have been completely changed or removed in AMS 2, so that old line is becoming a little tiresome.

But that doesn't mean that there's nothing remaining from PC2 in AMS2. Without being one of the development team, how would you know? You may think that it's becoming tiresome (for you) but the fact is that you don't know whether BrunoB's comments were correct or not.

If we play on words, AMS2 has the foundations of Project Cars, at last its engine.

After an engine, you can make very good things out of it, as well as very bad things out of it. It only remains for Reiza's team to exploit its features to reach their goals. As a reminder, the studio has its road map and will not be able to satisfy our wildest desires, at least ... we may be surprised ;)

As it is, the game is in early access but has a mature graphics engine, interesting features.

But that doesn't mean that there's nothing remaining from PC2 in AMS2. Without being one of the development team, how would you know? You may think that it's becoming tiresome (for you) but the fact is that you don't know whether BrunoB's comments were correct or not.

Actually I do, as I clearly just explained above. Did you read the whole discussion or where you in such a rush to moan that your ignored next part? :rolleyes:

Firstly, I wasn't moaning. I was just pointing out that the only people who know what's carried across from PC2 are the developers. How is that moaning? Secondly, you said "The fact that so much is completely different between AMS 2 and PCars 2 shows that very few things are "integrated"". How do you know what's integrated? I suspect that many of the things that people are complaining about as carry-overs from PC2 are probably not, but, like you, I can't say for sure.

Firstly, I wasn't moaning. I was just pointing out that the only people who know what's carried across from PC2 are the developers. How is that moaning? Secondly, you said "so much is completely different between AMS 2 and PCars 2 shows that very few things are "integrated"". How do you know what's integrated? I suspect that many of the things that people are complaining about as carry-overs from PC2 are probably not, but, like you, I can't say for sure.

I haven't played Automobilista 2 yet. You're 49% right, it's a car game and nothing changes.

Afterwards, Automobilista 2 takes up the basics of the first episode, only better. Circuits or cars will be deleted but new ones will be released.

The physics of the cars is not the same as Projects Cars 2, the car categories are not the same, neither are the steering wheel and brake settings. We could very well have an arcade game or on the contrary too realistic. It's up to the developers to do things the way they want.

The changes look "small" but it requires an incredible number of hours of development. You don't change the graphics engine, sound, etc. in 2 weeks (example DayZ).

The physics of the cars is not the same as Projects Cars 2, the car categories are not the same, neither are the steering wheel and brake settings. We could very well have an arcade game or on the contrary too realistic. It's up to the developers to do things the way they want.

The changes look "small" but it requires an incredible number of hours of development. You don't change the graphics engine, sound, etc. in 2 weeks (example DayZ).

For the most part I agree and I'm not denying any of that. You missed the whole point of my posts. I'm saying that no matter how much (or little) we may think has changed in the game engine from PC2 to AMS2, only the developers actually know for sure. Anyone else who thinks they know (without a statement from the developers confirming it) is just guessing.

I was just pointing out that the only people who know what's carried across from PC2 are the developers.
And I already pointed out that that is wrong. Have you even bothered looking into this? No, which is why you're just pulling your comments out of thin air.

I, on the other hand, and as I have already clearly stated, have spend a lot of time delving into AMS 2's innards to find out what's going on under the hood, what can be changed and what can't, and looking for possible customisation and modding opportunities. So yes, I have a pretty good idea of what has been "carried over" and whether those features can be modified or not. That includes Bruno's original complaint about the user interface, which absolutely can be changed and is not "integrated" or set in stone, and can be easily changed by anyone with no real development or programming knowledge. So, a very easy but low-priority task for a talented bunch like Reiza.

You can continue to push your groundless point if you please, but if you're not willing to check the facts for yourself then you really are wasting your time.

Have you even bothered looking into this?

Yes, as much as someone who's not the developer or an expert at delving into the code can. I'm sure you know much more about this than I do and can probably say, with some degree of confidence, that someone's comment or opinion is probably wrong.

So yes, I have a pretty good idea of what has been "carried over" and whether those features can be modified or not.

There's a big difference between "having a pretty good idea" and knowing exactly. Do you know everything that has (or hasn't) changed? If not, then the gist of my comments are not groundless. Perhaps you're able to look at the game code and have the ability to see all the changes without being the developer - I don't know your background. If you're in that position, then I bow to your greater knowledge and ability. If not, then I can see that we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

You play on words, we're not all engineers ^^, the Iracing world being small, it's not complicated to know what can or cannot be done but it requires hours of reading the forums. We find really exciting and often unsuspected things.

As i say, It's up to the developers to do things the way they want.

If when the game is released, they want to stop the developer, why not... I don't have the technical terms but the Madness engine has already been studied and different parameters have not been used in Project Cars 2, which doesn't make it a bad game, then Reyza is free to do what he wants with it within the limits of the contract that binds him to the engine.

On the other hand, the Unreal Engine runs car games, strategy games, fighting games, ... with an engine you can do a lot of beautiful things as well as less beautiful things^^^

Yes, as much as someone who's not the developer or an expert at delving into the code can. I'm sure you know much more about this than I do and can probably say, with some degree of confidence, that someone's comment or opinion is probably wrong.

There's a big difference between "having a pretty good idea" and knowing exactly. Do you know everything that has (or hasn't) changed? If not, then the gist of my comments are not groundless. Perhaps you're able to look at the game code and have the ability to see all the changes without being the developer - I don't know your background. If you're in that position, then I bow to your greater knowledge and ability. If not, then I can see that we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea