AMS 2 | Update 0.8.7.1 Is Here - Now Includes Time Trial

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Automobilista 2 Early Access fans rejoice - a new build, new features and new content is now available.

Released last night, version 0.8.7.1 of AMS 2 is in the wild, and with it comes a first pass at the new Time Trail functionality within the simulation, as well as the inclusion of the very cool looking 1986 Opala Stock Car season!

V0.8.7.1 CHANGELOG:

GENERAL

• Enabled Time Trial Mode
  • Player now has complete control in pits if Pit Stop Control is set to "Manual" in Gameplay Options (no longer gets automatically held up due to incoming traffic)
  • Implemented new CutTrackFraction logic for detecting how far back a track limit infringement in previous lap invalidates the next one (5% of track length in practice, 10% in qualifying, 15% in Time Trial)
  • Fix bug where spawning in garage in between sessions would cause Trucks to crash into the garage
CONTENT
  • Added Opala Stock Cars 1986 Season
UI & HUD
  • Added missing F-Trainer A vehicle specs; Corrected Puma GTB, Super V8, Lancer R & RS, Copa Classic specs
  • Fixed AJR V6 short name in session config screen
  • Added new 'Full' variation of the Laptime Info HUD element (gives past lap info or Time Trial info depending on game mode/session)
  • Moved Laptime info position slightly higher in default layout
PHYSICS & FFB
  • Added "Tyre Scrub to Rack" effect to FX FFB slider (New Default profile only
  • Added "Min force" FFB funcion, disabled by default (can be activated in custom FFB file)
  • Minor FFB adjustments to various cars to better suit New Default profile
  • Increased FFB smoothness for FWD cars
  • Fixed remaining issues with excessive brake wear
  • Revised drivelines for all TC Classics, AJR, F-Vintages, F-Classics Lancers, Ultimas to correct excessive drivetrain losses & inertia
  • Fixed suspension physics for Copa Classic B Passat
  • Minor adjustments to tyre tread & carcass for Copa Classic, Lancers, Opalas, Ultima Race, AJR, Stock Car & F-Classic
  • Added wet tyre options for Lancers & Copa Classics
  • Corrected excessive engine boost in Lancer R & RS
  • Fixed wrong default tyre option in some TC Classics that could cause CTDs
  • Reduced front ride height range & moved diffuser center of pressure forward by 8cm in Metalmoro AJR for more accurate aero balance (all variants)
  • F-Classics Gen1&2: moved diffuser center of pressure forward by 2cm for more accurate aero balance, increased diffuser downforce loss with yaw
  • F-Classic (all Gens): Adjusted default setup (stiffer rear ARB, corrected ride height inconsistencies); fixed V8 engine wear range
AI
  • Disabled glitchy AI function that would cause it to behave erratically while trying to weave out of the way under blue flag in Practice & Quali (AI will now just reduce speed to let faster car by)
  • Adjusted AI behavior under yellow flag (a bit less overzealous)
  • Revised AI damper rates for all cars
  • Minor AI performance tweak to Londrina (both layouts)
TRACKS
  • Corrected environment & track temperature ranges for South American tracks
  • Interlagos Kart: Fixed layout 3 fences and walls missing when running less than High Track Detail
VEHICLES
  • Passat Copa Classic B: Updated interior textures, corrected collision mesh
  • Puma P052: Updated cockpit interior textures; updated liveries for #03 #05 #08 #35 #36 #52 #65 #78 & added Community skins #55 #56 #58 #60
  • Sprint Race: Added rear brake lights

To get an idea of the future development direction for Automobilista 2, check out the recent development roadmap HERE.

Original Source :Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now in Steam Early Access.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

I have to admit I couldn’t give a damn which things are brought over from pCars2 - if what is most urgent for me the car behavoring(TM and physics) are convincing enough.
Because this was some of the things I disliked in pCars2.
Hehe beside the completely idiotic setup load/save system :roflmao:

But just like Reiza supposedly have decided that there are tons of good things in the pCars2 code to carry over - then Im pretty relaxed looking forward to see it being unfolded.

And just because someone feels that its his duty to mandatory defend something that he probably dont know much more about than what his biased oppinion tells him - I to repeat myself couldn’t give a damn.:rolleyes:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: But also to repeat myself Im still having a good time exploring some of the great behavioring formula and proto cars in AMS2.
Hehe until I have to save/rename a setup:poop:

Automobilista 2 Early Access fans rejoice - a new build, new features and new content is now available.

Released last night, version 0.8.7.1 of AMS 2 is in the wild, and with it comes a first pass at the new Time Trail functionality within the simulation, as well as the inclusion of the very cool looking 1986 Opala Stock Car season!

V0.8.7.1 CHANGELOG:

GENERAL

• Player now has complete control in pits if Pit Stop Control is set to "Manual" in Gameplay Options (no longer gets automatically held up due to incoming traffic)
  • Implemented new CutTrackFraction logic for detecting how far back a track limit infringement in previous lap invalidates the next one (5% of track length in practice, 10% in qualifying, 15% in Time Trial)
  • Fix bug where spawning in garage in between sessions would cause Trucks to crash into the garage
CONTENT
UI & HUD
  • Added missing F-Trainer A vehicle specs; Corrected Puma GTB, Super V8, Lancer R & RS, Copa Classic specs
  • Added new 'Full' variation of the Laptime Info HUD element (gives past lap info or Time Trial info depending on game mode/session)
PHYSICS & FFB
  • Added "Min force" FFB funcion, disabled by default (can be activated in custom FFB file)
  • Revised drivelines for all TC Classics, AJR, F-Vintages, F-Classics Lancers, Ultimas to correct excessive drivetrain losses & inertia
  • Minor adjustments to tyre tread & carcass for Copa Classic, Lancers, Opalas, Ultima Race, AJR, Stock Car & F-Classic
  • Reduced front ride height range & moved diffuser center of pressure forward by 8cm in Metalmoro AJR for more accurate aero balance (all variants)
  • F-Classics Gen1&2: moved diffuser center of pressure forward by 2cm for more accurate aero balance, increased diffuser downforce loss with yaw
  • F-Classic (all Gens): Adjusted default setup (stiffer rear ARB, corrected ride height inconsistencies); fixed V8 engine wear range
AI
  • Disabled glitchy AI function that would cause it to behave erratically while trying to weave out of the way under blue flag in Practice & Quali (AI will now just reduce speed to let faster car by)
TRACKS
  • Interlagos Kart: Fixed layout 3 fences and walls missing when running less than High Track Detail
VEHICLES
  • Puma P052: Updated cockpit interior textures; updated liveries for #03 #05 #08 #35 #36 #52 #65 #78 & added Community skins #55 #56 #58 #60

To get an idea of the future development direction for Automobilista 2, check out the recent development roadmap HERE.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

V0.8.7.1 CHANGELOG:

GENERAL

CONTENT
UI & HUD
PHYSICS & FFB
AI
TRACKS
VEHICLES

V0.8.7.1 CHANGELOG:

GENERAL

CONTENT
UI & HUD
PHYSICS & FFB
AI
TRACKS
VEHICLES

Does anyone know if Ferrari and McLaren cars will be added?
Im an absolutely novice considering Reizas policy in this - but looking at some of the cars in the game and their names it looks like Reiza are not using their money to get many official licences.
But at the same time it looks like some of the cars have some resemblance to different known car brands.
But maybe Im wrong in this:geek:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I was just checking the TimeTrial out - hehe just ot see if I was last ;) - and then I saw 2 pretty creative names. Specially the french guy :roflmao:

1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Im an absolutely novice considering Reizas policy in this - but looking at some of the cars in the game and their names it looks like Reiza are not using their money to get many official licences.
But at the same time it looks like some of the cars have some resemblance to different known car brands.
But maybe Im wrong in this:geek:
I think you will see official Reiza content with more expensive licences but it likely to be in the DLC packs. Probably why the DLC car packs are planned to be in the $20-30 USD range each

This sim is getting better and better. I hope they can also add many of the great Project Cars 2 tracks. Does anyone know if Ferrari and McLaren cars will be added?

Is there any evidence to this point that Reiza is using any pcars2 assets (besides maybe the odd UI asset)? The only side by side comparison of the same track that I've seen had enough differences to suggest to me that Reiza was only using their own assets. I would have guessed that Reiza have only licenced the engine but I could easily be wrong.

I think you will see official Reiza content with more expensive licences but it likely to be in the DLC packs. Probably why the DLC car packs are planned to be in the $20-30 USD range each
OK - but am I wrong in my oppinion that Reiza dont feel it specially urgent that all the cars wear the historically correct name - but just does name some(the majority?) with a more generic name?

generic cars-.jpg

OK - but am I wrong in my oppinion that Reiza dont feel it specially urgent that all the cars wear the historically correct name - but just does name some(the majority?) with a more generic name?

View attachment 369952
I don't understand your point. Most cars in the game are licenced. Only the Formula 1 cars aren't. How is that most cars? And it is unlikely you will ever see these cars fuly licenced. Reiza is adding some 70s formula cars but so far those are the only ones confirmed licenced.

I don't understand your point. Most cars in the game are licenced. Only the Formula 1 cars aren't.
It wasnt an argumentional "point" it was an open question:rolleyes:
And I just checked your "Most cars in the game are licenced."
Check these pictures out.
I have never heard about a brand called "Vintage" and a kart brand called "125cc".

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Hehe I just thought that all the P1 P2 P4 cars with the brand "Metalmoro" was a fantasy brand.
But it looks like its a brazilian car brand nobody except Reiza has heard about.:roflmao:

Formula vintage.jpgkart 125.jpgP1.jpgP2.jpgP4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand your point. Most cars in the game are licenced. Only the Formula 1 cars aren't. How is that most cars? And it is unlikely you will ever see these cars fuly licenced. Reiza is adding some 70s formula cars but so far those are the only ones confirmed licenced.

Personally I don't care to have a game with only real cars or circuits.

It's a video game and you can imagine that fictitious circuits or fictitious cars are coming. It would be already more ecological than building real circuits ^^

In GTA V, we do have a crazy universe that is completely fictional, with adaptations of real-world slogans and products. Reiza can do the same.

On the other hand, a more detailed car interior like in Assetto Corsa Competizione would not be luxury, but it would require a lot of crazy work on all the models.

It wasnt an argumentional "point" it was an open question:rolleyes:
And I just checked your "Most cars in the game are licenced."
Check these pictures out.
I have never heard about a brand called "Vintage" and a kart brand called "125cc".

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Hehe I just thought that all the P1 P2 P4 cars with the brand "Metalmoro" was a fantasy brand.
But it looks like its a brazilian car brand nobody except Reiza has heard about.:roflmao:

View attachment 369958View attachment 369959View attachment 369960View attachment 369961View attachment 369962
Vintage cars are formulas and I forgot the karts ^^ Still, a minority of the cars no? All the prototypes, classic brazilian cars, modern brazilian cars, no so modern but probably still not classic brazilian cars and the Formula 3 cars are all licensed ^^

And the Metalmoros are awesome! One of the hidden gems of sim racing imho. The Brazilian Endurance series has their races up on youtube. Recommend a watch. They are really good!

....also the Lancer RS at Cadwell Park is also fun to drive, especially in 'Timetrial'...check out this screenshot :cool::D...phew, quite a few laps to catch you though and once I fiqured out to drive the Lancer RS around Cadwell, managed to get 1 good lap ;)...although it was not as smooth as your driving. :roflmao::roflmao:
View attachment 369935

Cadwell in a Lancer you say? :) That always brings back some great memories of my Evo IX MR 360 from a few years ago at a Cadwell track day! Cadwell is one of the most exciting tracks to drive in the UK and a mildly tuned 400bhp with sticky soft Yoko 048R tyres was more than enough for me to scare myself with. If I get time later (homeschooling...!) I'll put up a real lap vs the in-game lap, the times are not too far apart at all. The AMS2 Lancers are superbly realistic in terms of both handling and wheel feedback in my view.

Evo IX Cadwell .jpg

Oh, and my racing drivers book of excuses must have got stuck under my pedals for that leaderboard time. :D:thumbsup:

If you guys check my posts about this car brand subject then Im absolutely not part of the bandwagon that want a racing game to allway buy licences from the car manufactures.
On the contrary I consider it kinda positive if they are able to spare some money by maybe design cars with hehe a high resemblance to wellknown cars - but without naming these cars exactly as in RL.;)
The same with tracks - its completely OK with me. Hehe as long as I can figure out which track are which.:roflmao:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Actually I have the same oppinion about the nessesaryness of laser scanned tracks. I dont care if they are as long as the virtual track quality is so good that I can be fooled to believe it is the same track as I have seen on my telly.:p

CatsAreTheWorstDogs2: One of the reasons I thought that all the Metalmoro cars were fantasy cars was because at least some of them looks so goofy.
Like they are designed by a 5 years boy.
OK maybe unfair - then by a 7 year young boy.:roflmao:

Just for fun, and if you'll permit me a little trip down track day memory lane, here is the comparison lap of the AMS2 Lancer R at Cadwell Park with an inset real-world lap in my Evo IX MR 360 (modified to about 400bhp and on sticky tyres), the red Evo 260 in front was running a similar level of modification so don't be fooled by the 'cooking' looks it was quick. I tried to make the AMS footage as close as possible to the real world by using a qualifying session and running with a 100% AI car (the AI run some good lines at Cadwell). The inset footage is from - ahem - 11 years ago, when Go Pro's were still newish and the world was only available in SD ;) . In the real video, much thanks to the white Evo on his in-lap at the last corner for letting us through - good track etiquette makes track days as much as it does sim racing. At the start of the 2nd lap you'll see a 600bhp+ beast make a fly-by too - that was one fast Evo!

Cadwell is another track where VR really lets you appreciate the elevation changes, dips and way the track falls away from you.

The cars aren't directly comparable before anyone takes this too seriously, the AMS2 is a Lancer X and my road car IX has more power and was slightly lighter but there are many aspects that are much closer than I'd have thought. The AMS 2 steering feel and handling is pure lancer, the bumps in the track are right too. The AMS2 car is slightly shorter geared but that may well be true. The way the front of the car lifts over the Mountain is perfect. During this track day, a massively tuned Scooby launched itself off the mountain at a 45-degree angle and landed in the barriers - it looked an expensive mistake!

Cadwell Evo IX chase.jpg

A picture from the chase video, the red 260 in front and the 600bhp monster stalking us behind my car.

Cadwell IX R.jpg

The IX MR averaged 4mpg on track at Cadwell and used £120 of 99ron fuel during the day...if you ever think sim racing gets pricey wait until you play racing cars for real! The IX also had 4500-mile service intervals. During the same weekend, I also ran the IX at Pembrey and then had the service booked for the Monday, the technicians wanted to know what I'd been doing in the car to 'melt' the tyres. It was just some excess marbles stuck to the tyres but not something your average Mitsi technician sees every day servicing Colts and Mirages.

Cadwell others.jpg

There were plenty of other interesting cars out on this day too. You get to see a real array of cars on track days, it's one of the reasons I like the multi-class option in racing games too.

Finally then, having removed my book of excuses* from under my pedals, just for @M D Gourley I've set a new more competitive lap time for you to shoot at ;):D:thumbsup:, have fun!
Automobilista Lancer RS Time Trial.jpg

Speaking of Cadwell Park, I feel really alone there with my Copa Uno. The Uno is a super fun car for time trials, spent the majority of yesterday evening time trialing with it on various tracks (Adelaide, Guapore, VIR, Ibarra, Donington National, Oulton Fosters). Give it a try !

View attachment 370070

That's a great lap, I got close! The little Uno has some unique handling traits and the gearing takes some getting used to, good fun though as it certainly needs to be driven like it was stolen to get the best from it!

That's a great lap, I got close! The little Uno has some unique handling traits and the gearing takes some getting used to, good fun though as it certainly needs to be driven like it was stolen to get the best from it!

Nice, feel less alone now on that board! The Uno can be pushed really hard driving it as stolen car as you say. This car can really be abused in creative and fun ways to make the most of it.
Amusingly, while you had a go at the Uno, I was trying to beat your lap time with the Lancer RS and did it after about 45 mins or so trying :D.
TIP: you can push a tad harder in the first sector.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%