AMS 2 | Update 0.8.7.1 Is Here - Now Includes Time Trial

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Automobilista 2 Early Access fans rejoice - a new build, new features and new content is now available.

Released last night, version 0.8.7.1 of AMS 2 is in the wild, and with it comes a first pass at the new Time Trail functionality within the simulation, as well as the inclusion of the very cool looking 1986 Opala Stock Car season!

V0.8.7.1 CHANGELOG:

GENERAL

• Enabled Time Trial Mode
  • Player now has complete control in pits if Pit Stop Control is set to "Manual" in Gameplay Options (no longer gets automatically held up due to incoming traffic)
  • Implemented new CutTrackFraction logic for detecting how far back a track limit infringement in previous lap invalidates the next one (5% of track length in practice, 10% in qualifying, 15% in Time Trial)
  • Fix bug where spawning in garage in between sessions would cause Trucks to crash into the garage
CONTENT
  • Added Opala Stock Cars 1986 Season
UI & HUD
  • Added missing F-Trainer A vehicle specs; Corrected Puma GTB, Super V8, Lancer R & RS, Copa Classic specs
  • Fixed AJR V6 short name in session config screen
  • Added new 'Full' variation of the Laptime Info HUD element (gives past lap info or Time Trial info depending on game mode/session)
  • Moved Laptime info position slightly higher in default layout
PHYSICS & FFB
  • Added "Tyre Scrub to Rack" effect to FX FFB slider (New Default profile only
  • Added "Min force" FFB funcion, disabled by default (can be activated in custom FFB file)
  • Minor FFB adjustments to various cars to better suit New Default profile
  • Increased FFB smoothness for FWD cars
  • Fixed remaining issues with excessive brake wear
  • Revised drivelines for all TC Classics, AJR, F-Vintages, F-Classics Lancers, Ultimas to correct excessive drivetrain losses & inertia
  • Fixed suspension physics for Copa Classic B Passat
  • Minor adjustments to tyre tread & carcass for Copa Classic, Lancers, Opalas, Ultima Race, AJR, Stock Car & F-Classic
  • Added wet tyre options for Lancers & Copa Classics
  • Corrected excessive engine boost in Lancer R & RS
  • Fixed wrong default tyre option in some TC Classics that could cause CTDs
  • Reduced front ride height range & moved diffuser center of pressure forward by 8cm in Metalmoro AJR for more accurate aero balance (all variants)
  • F-Classics Gen1&2: moved diffuser center of pressure forward by 2cm for more accurate aero balance, increased diffuser downforce loss with yaw
  • F-Classic (all Gens): Adjusted default setup (stiffer rear ARB, corrected ride height inconsistencies); fixed V8 engine wear range
AI
  • Disabled glitchy AI function that would cause it to behave erratically while trying to weave out of the way under blue flag in Practice & Quali (AI will now just reduce speed to let faster car by)
  • Adjusted AI behavior under yellow flag (a bit less overzealous)
  • Revised AI damper rates for all cars
  • Minor AI performance tweak to Londrina (both layouts)
TRACKS
  • Corrected environment & track temperature ranges for South American tracks
  • Interlagos Kart: Fixed layout 3 fences and walls missing when running less than High Track Detail
VEHICLES
  • Passat Copa Classic B: Updated interior textures, corrected collision mesh
  • Puma P052: Updated cockpit interior textures; updated liveries for #03 #05 #08 #35 #36 #52 #65 #78 & added Community skins #55 #56 #58 #60
  • Sprint Race: Added rear brake lights

To get an idea of the future development direction for Automobilista 2, check out the recent development roadmap HERE.

Original Source :Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now in Steam Early Access.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

Ok testing all cars and tracks and finetunning the wheel was funny so far.
But now i am bored :confused: with single races or time trials only.
Waiting for Championship tool :geek:

For the future a „career“ like at least PC2 where you have to drive certain car categories would be veeery nice.
Without it i probably will Drive only some favorits and miss all the other content.

What What?
Just because I have a stingy wallet im not a "pig boy" - my good man:laugh:

super pig boy.jpg

I have to confess that I wasn’t really feeling much love for the new Opalas. Hot lapped at Cascavel…meh. Just felt like kind of an anemic car to drive. Raced the AI at Santa Cruz…a more lively driving experience at that track but the racing still felt just OK.

Came back a few hours later and decided to give it another go racing the AI, this time at Curitaba. My, oh my, what a difference the right kind of track seems to make for the fun factor with these cars. At least from my POV. I had an absolute blast. The last three laps were back and forth like this between virtual Renato and I.
OpalaRace.jpg

Not good.:mad:
The game doesnt recognize my SRW-S1 wheel - at all.:sleep:

Both iRacing, Raceroom, ACC and pCars2 does recognize this wheel perfect.
And also Windows ofcourse.
Even rF2 beside all its problems was able to recognize it.:roflmao:

The wheel is plugged into a normal USB - but it feels like AMS2 is completely blind for anything in my USB ports.

Baaaaad.:mad::mad::mad:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs:
I have tried setting it both as a custom wheel, custom pad, keyboard +/- mouse. Not even the slightest erection:poop:

Problem solved.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

While I was trying to find someone I could shoot - I tried more of the USB ports on my puter.
And when I without really beliewing it would help started the game up again - viola I could suddenly calibrate my little wheel.
At least just as good as in rF2.:roflmao:

I started a vintage gen2(?) F1 on one of my favorite tracks Interlagos.
And even without tweaking the controller the feeling of the car was very good.
My impression after only 1 lap :laugh: was that grip was pretty high - and it was rather difficult to get the car to pirouette/slide so much that you couldnt save it.
But my guess is that its only because I didnt have time to test any tweaking of setup.
Like lowering the wings as example.
And my second guess is that F1 cars dont have to react "binary" to be considered "realistic":whistling:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I feel like a traitor against my until now goto sim Raceroom - because Im gonna use a lot of time in AMS2 the next days.:sneaky:

Anyone here knowing how to handle this file called ffb_custom_settings.txt to add Min force function?
Yes. Go to My Documents\Automobilista 2. In there is the file you're after. Open it up and right at the top you will find this value:
Code:
(min_force 0.01)
1.0 = 100%, 0.10 = 10%, etc. Contrary to what Reiza say in their post, 0.01 (1%) appears to be the default value, not disabled.

Once in the game, you'll need to change your FFB to "Custom".

Got it installed. Took an hour to get triple screen and FFB reasonably configured, just using the default Stockcars on Interlagos. Switched to FVee at Kyalami for a 10 minute race @100 difficulty. Sadly either I'm not 100% comfortable or these AI are a bit stronger than in AMS1 as they were leaving me in the dust by 3 seconds a lap. Though maybe smacking a wall on the first lap was slowing me down even though I didn't feel steering out of whack.

Anyway, no complaints for EA except that it took an hour to set up. The FVee felt perfect, the sounds are as good as I expected, and I can see I'll be tempted to play well beyond any chance of a refund. The sun is shining, so have to quit playing indoors and go outside to play in the garden.

I have found I quite annoying bug (was present in 0.8.4.x and is still present in 0.8.7.1). When I race a single race and then choose to race the same race again the after race menu is frozen and there are no way to get out of the it, except rebooting the computer.

Another minor bug that I have found is that the oppenent Beetles lack fenders except when they brake, then the fenders appear when the breaklights are lit.

Otherwise I love the game and the new time-trial mode is really good

I practiced in one of the historic V10 F1 cars.
And my guess is that this is the closest I have had of the feeling to drive a RL F1 car.:laugh:
Its mainly the grip and car behaviour when you get close to the limits of adhesion of the car in corners that is extremely good simulated - me guess.:roflmao:
The sound in this car is also at least on level with the best sounding sim Raceroom.
Sorry Raceroom - at least.:ninja:

Critique: The save/load of setups is the worst I have ever used.:rolleyes:
Or rather it is exactly so bad as it was/is in pCars2.
You never know if the name or description disappears because it is overwritten by some default text.
Here Reiza could learn a lot from Raceroom, iRacing and even old NR2003.:rolleyes:
What are these people thinking about?
I mean they are about to create a gem and then they include this poo setup saving system.:poop:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I guess that the enjoyment of handling the cars in AMS2 is what Niels Heusinkveld is missing in iRacing in this video post::sneaky:

Last edited by a moderator:
Critique: The save/load of setups is the worst I have ever used.
I don't know what Reiza's plans are, but half the game is still in development which includes the user interface. Some of it doesn't even work properly, or only half-works with anything other than the mouse. So yeah, it'll likely improve a great deal but is probably at the end of their to-do list in the run up to v1.0.

Lets hope so. But my personal guess is that it is what it is because it was/is an integrated part of the pCars2 thing.
Its really a pain in the backside - but I also know that after 1-2 years you get accustomed to even poo:roflmao:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back