AMS 2 Announced - MADNESS Engine Confirmed!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The announcement is here! Read on for some very big news regarding the next racing game project from Reiza Studios.

Having earned considerable good will from the sim racing community thanks to their outstanding work on GSCE and Automobilista, Reiza Studios confirmed they planned on developing and releasing a new racing title in the very near future. For various reasons that "very near future" turned into a couple of years or so, and the original working title of 'Reiza '17' quickly became obsolete.

Well folks, wait no more - the announcement is here!

Let’s be honest, we expected this to be good... and good it is. Firstly, let’s talk about the surprise aspect of the announcement today – the game engine.

Most folks would be willing to throw down money on Reiza taking hold of the rFactor 2 ISI gMotor2 and bolting on an external graphics engine… but Reiza have surprised us all with an announcement we didn’t expect – AMS 2 will be using the Slightly Mad Studios developed Madness engine!

So what does that mean? Well it means day-to-night transitions. It means dynamic weather and it means VR! Yes, all those things that sim racers ask for, wrapped up in an impressive graphics engine that gives good framerates. Oh, and with the Reiza magic touch regarding physics and force feedback thrown into the mix. Awesome.

So, what else do we know? Well looking at the new trailer, we see the now legendary StockCar Series and Interlargos circuit, giving us a couple of exceptional pieces of content, and leading me to believe that AMS 2 will once again have a focus on the Brazilian racing scene at its core – which is excellent news in my opinion.

Other highlights from trailer has to be the incredible 1991 Ayrton Senna McLaren Honda! The Brazilian legend, a legendary Brazilian development studio - how awesome is that!

All in, this announcement sounds like fantastic news from Reiza, and well, well worth the wait!

AMS 2 Announcement McLaren Honda.jpg

The Reiza announcement in full:

Automobilista 2 is the culmination of a project developed over the course of nearly a decade. At its core, it is a comprehensive simulation of the Brazilian motorsports scene, featuring all major Brazilian racing series, race tracks and manufacturers.

Automobilista 2 will also celebrate Brazilian motorsports heritage by featuring some of the country´s most iconic heroes and achievements through its rich history in the sport.

Packing an even larger roster of diverse cars and tracks than its predecessor, Automobilista 2 will venture further into the best of international motorsports, including prestigious brands such as McLaren and BMW along with iconic venues such as Brands Hatch and Imola, at the same time continuing to explore the more exotic and exciting forms of motorsports from around the world.

Boosted by a new technical partnership with the developers of the award-winning Project CARS series, Automobilista 2 is built on the MADNESS engine, providing incredible graphical quality, the most advanced dynamic weather and track condition systems in a racing simulator and superior VR support, to deliver a substantial realism upgrade and a fully immersive visual experience.

With Automobilista 2 we aim to combine the strengths that made its predecessor unique with major evolutions in all areas. The sim will offer some exclusive features for both single player and multiplayer, which we look forward to sharing over the remaining months of development!

AMS 2 is set to release December 2019.

For the latest news and discussion items in relation to the newly announced new racing simulation from Reiza Studios, head over to our brand new AMS 2 sub forum, and never miss a thing again!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Sorry if it has been brought up already, but if not, the following is what Renato Simioni posted on the Reiza foruns, about using the Madness Engine:
I’ll say one thing that pretty much applies equally to AI, physics, audio which I think most agree were some of the strongest points of AMS1... Nothing can be ported over like a copy&paste flick of a switch - some fronts will demand a lot of work, others less. At the same time we would not have made the move if it meant starting any of those fronts from scratch. Most things are in good shape already and it will only get better.

• Deleted member 13397

no matter what physics AMS2 will have, as long as it is open for modding, it will be another choice to work on
for content
and by the way, this year will be interesting with
ACC coming around
GTR3 in Q2 :)))
GRID in Q3
and AMS in Q4
GT7 in 2020

did i forget one?

no matter what physics AMS2 will have, as long as it is open for modding, it will be another choice to work on
for content
and by the way, this year will be interesting with
ACC coming around
GTR3 in Q2 :)))
GRID in Q3
and AMS in Q4
GT7 in 2020

did i forget one?
RaceDepartment Legends, brand new sim Q4. :p

Navigator. I'm out with my wife and son at the moment and don't really feel like wasting my time on you again, but I have to respond here, despite my PM to you last night.

Your negative comments have been kept in place, I even said that was fine despite your pretty poor tone. However the comments I warned you about and removed are nothing to do with being negative about the game, they are about being disrespectful to others, and clearly looking to provoke an argument with I would like to avoid.

Your frankly childish response to my PM, and your continual tone of posts on here indicate a similar level of childishness, which is a shame to see and read, and spoils the tone of the thread.

Have an opinion sure, have a debate sure, but try and behave sensible about it.. like 99% of the rest of the people commenting.

Now I've wasted enough of my precious and all too rare family time writing this, so back n topic folks!

It was pretty clear all began with me not being 1000% positive about AMS and than I got "attacked" for something else.....as a deflector, but you made your point; I shouldn't disagree with the "man in charge".
That much was clear from your pm yesterday too, even though you now say I was the one being childish.

Have fun with the family; this forum is not the only thing in the world.

@Spinelli too.

Renato's respond in offical forum:

"I’ll say one thing that pretty much applies equally to AI, physics, audio which I think most agree were some of the strongest points of AMS1... Nothing can be ported over like a copy&paste flick of a switch - some fronts will demand a lot of work, others less. At the same time we would not have made the move if it meant starting any of those fronts from scratch. Most things are in good shape already and it will only get better."

I think I jumped my gun a bit with the second page post, to me a simulator is mostly about playing around with it and messing with mods, I hope AMS2 will support them, because in my personal way of using simulators (as mostly a therapy thing for when I'm stressed) I can't enjoy it without modding the cars, regardless of how good it looks/feels.

Every time, people get carried away and often let their imagination create the perfect sim according to their priorities. Seen it in every single sim announcement, and later some people end up somewhat disappointed because its not the perfection their imagination created at one point.

Graphics might be better with the new engine, and any evolution on that front is welcome, but I'm not really impressed with the over the top processed visuals, but understand that most people like it and it sells copies, even if it's in fact not closer to reality.

I'm a big fan of Reiza and have everything they have ever released from day one (and a campaign backer).
And for me, feel and physics will make or brake AMS2 and no screen shots will give us information on that, so I will wait and see, and keep my expectation under control, and happily follow the development of AMS2 and wish them all the success with the new title because I think they deserve it.

Slightly Mad Studios engines... that - is - scary!

So at least all remarks on the dated looks of Automobilista will vanish but since Automobilista is for serious hardcore sim racers, like rF2 is, what will it be? How much can this code be switch from a bumper car game to a hardcore sim?

No game pad console kiddies can jump into AMS without going into shock. Making the sim a game alleviates that.

If it can't be turned... or simply left as is, it's a loss of all their install base. No serious league is going to switch to a bumper car game for loyalty's sake.

The real question is basically the same and it still has nothing to do with graphics: "What is Reiza's intended market with AMS2 ?" Gamers or Simers?

You can't please both.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea