AMS 2 Announced - MADNESS Engine Confirmed!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The announcement is here! Read on for some very big news regarding the next racing game project from Reiza Studios.

Having earned considerable good will from the sim racing community thanks to their outstanding work on GSCE and Automobilista, Reiza Studios confirmed they planned on developing and releasing a new racing title in the very near future. For various reasons that "very near future" turned into a couple of years or so, and the original working title of 'Reiza '17' quickly became obsolete.

Well folks, wait no more - the announcement is here!

Let’s be honest, we expected this to be good... and good it is. Firstly, let’s talk about the surprise aspect of the announcement today – the game engine.

Most folks would be willing to throw down money on Reiza taking hold of the rFactor 2 ISI gMotor2 and bolting on an external graphics engine… but Reiza have surprised us all with an announcement we didn’t expect – AMS 2 will be using the Slightly Mad Studios developed Madness engine!

So what does that mean? Well it means day-to-night transitions. It means dynamic weather and it means VR! Yes, all those things that sim racers ask for, wrapped up in an impressive graphics engine that gives good framerates. Oh, and with the Reiza magic touch regarding physics and force feedback thrown into the mix. Awesome.

So, what else do we know? Well looking at the new trailer, we see the now legendary StockCar Series and Interlargos circuit, giving us a couple of exceptional pieces of content, and leading me to believe that AMS 2 will once again have a focus on the Brazilian racing scene at its core – which is excellent news in my opinion.

Other highlights from trailer has to be the incredible 1991 Ayrton Senna McLaren Honda! The Brazilian legend, a legendary Brazilian development studio - how awesome is that!

All in, this announcement sounds like fantastic news from Reiza, and well, well worth the wait!

AMS 2 Announcement McLaren Honda.jpg

The Reiza announcement in full:

Automobilista 2 is the culmination of a project developed over the course of nearly a decade. At its core, it is a comprehensive simulation of the Brazilian motorsports scene, featuring all major Brazilian racing series, race tracks and manufacturers.

Automobilista 2 will also celebrate Brazilian motorsports heritage by featuring some of the country´s most iconic heroes and achievements through its rich history in the sport.

Packing an even larger roster of diverse cars and tracks than its predecessor, Automobilista 2 will venture further into the best of international motorsports, including prestigious brands such as McLaren and BMW along with iconic venues such as Brands Hatch and Imola, at the same time continuing to explore the more exotic and exciting forms of motorsports from around the world.

Boosted by a new technical partnership with the developers of the award-winning Project CARS series, Automobilista 2 is built on the MADNESS engine, providing incredible graphical quality, the most advanced dynamic weather and track condition systems in a racing simulator and superior VR support, to deliver a substantial realism upgrade and a fully immersive visual experience.

With Automobilista 2 we aim to combine the strengths that made its predecessor unique with major evolutions in all areas. The sim will offer some exclusive features for both single player and multiplayer, which we look forward to sharing over the remaining months of development!

AMS 2 is set to release December 2019.

For the latest news and discussion items in relation to the newly announced new racing simulation from Reiza Studios, head over to our brand new AMS 2 sub forum, and never miss a thing again!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
We'll be known as Club 594

Level 5
$75 USD
Earns: -Dev forum access; -Voting rights in forum; -Beta access to new builds; -Digital copy for Formula Truck 2013 + Stock Car Extreme (Steam or NonSteam) + Steam copy for our next game NOT including eventual DLCs, OR Steam copy for next game including eventual DLCs.
Estimated Shipping
August 2015
594 claimed

Slightly Mad Studios engines... that - is - scary!

So at least all remarks on the dated looks of Automobilista will vanish but since Automobilista is for serious hardcore sim racers, like rF2 is, what will it be? How much can this code be switch from a bumper car game to a hardcore sim?

No game pad console kiddies can jump into AMS without going into shock. Making the sim a game alleviates that.

If it can't be turned... or simply left as is, it's a loss of all their install base. No serious league is going to switch to a bumper car game for loyalty's sake.

The real question is basically the same and it still has nothing to do with graphics: "What is Reiza's intended market with AMS2 ?" Gamers or Simers?

You can't please both.

Either your post is sarcasm or you have a bit funny understanding about racing sims and games. We are not talking about Real Racing 3 or Need for Speed engines here. There hasn't been a "sims" or "arcade" category existing for a decade in PC racing titles. All the titles discussed here on RD are sims to a more or less degree, that's it. Madness engine now replaces a 12 year old rF1 engine, which is good as far as I'm concerned. You might as well argue that rF1 engine is "arcade" by today's standards since it uses very basic tire model concepts.

A vivid memory of the Simbin GTR serie makes me smile but hey...who was head of dev? Ian Bell...
Its amazing how Ian transformed from simply the best simulator to Pcars...
But Ian Bell did...and financially he absolutely succeeded. Maybe now its time for Reiza to financially succeed.
There is no spoon...

This is strange. PC2 VR performance is the best for me. ACC is appallingly bad (I gave up even bothering with ACC). rf2 is OK for most things, but the GT3 DLC runs like crap. PC2 runs really good in all conditions with same number of opponents as other titles and looks better than rf2. VR performance seems to vary widely across titles for different people. Everyone's mileage varies considerably it seems.

So.. Looking forward to AMS2.

I always considered Game Stock Car, whilst very good, just a very professionally done paid mod for rfactor. AMS on the other hand, pushed RF into new territory. It had enough upgrades in every area to be considered a brand new version of the game. In that context, how will I see AMS2?

Agreed. The people that made the engine, made GTR, GT Legends, GTR2, (removed) would be a disaster if they got involved...
Fixed in order to sound 100% good and reliable, lol.

Kidding of course, once Mr. Bell is here, would you like to share some insights?
How is working with Reiza guys?
What kind of involvement did you have as SMS?
I always appreciate some sim related gossip...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back