AMS 2 Announced - MADNESS Engine Confirmed!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The announcement is here! Read on for some very big news regarding the next racing game project from Reiza Studios.

Having earned considerable good will from the sim racing community thanks to their outstanding work on GSCE and Automobilista, Reiza Studios confirmed they planned on developing and releasing a new racing title in the very near future. For various reasons that "very near future" turned into a couple of years or so, and the original working title of 'Reiza '17' quickly became obsolete.

Well folks, wait no more - the announcement is here!

Let’s be honest, we expected this to be good... and good it is. Firstly, let’s talk about the surprise aspect of the announcement today – the game engine.

Most folks would be willing to throw down money on Reiza taking hold of the rFactor 2 ISI gMotor2 and bolting on an external graphics engine… but Reiza have surprised us all with an announcement we didn’t expect – AMS 2 will be using the Slightly Mad Studios developed Madness engine!

So what does that mean? Well it means day-to-night transitions. It means dynamic weather and it means VR! Yes, all those things that sim racers ask for, wrapped up in an impressive graphics engine that gives good framerates. Oh, and with the Reiza magic touch regarding physics and force feedback thrown into the mix. Awesome.

So, what else do we know? Well looking at the new trailer, we see the now legendary StockCar Series and Interlargos circuit, giving us a couple of exceptional pieces of content, and leading me to believe that AMS 2 will once again have a focus on the Brazilian racing scene at its core – which is excellent news in my opinion.

Other highlights from trailer has to be the incredible 1991 Ayrton Senna McLaren Honda! The Brazilian legend, a legendary Brazilian development studio - how awesome is that!

All in, this announcement sounds like fantastic news from Reiza, and well, well worth the wait!

AMS 2 Announcement McLaren Honda.jpg

The Reiza announcement in full:

Automobilista 2 is the culmination of a project developed over the course of nearly a decade. At its core, it is a comprehensive simulation of the Brazilian motorsports scene, featuring all major Brazilian racing series, race tracks and manufacturers.

Automobilista 2 will also celebrate Brazilian motorsports heritage by featuring some of the country´s most iconic heroes and achievements through its rich history in the sport.

Packing an even larger roster of diverse cars and tracks than its predecessor, Automobilista 2 will venture further into the best of international motorsports, including prestigious brands such as McLaren and BMW along with iconic venues such as Brands Hatch and Imola, at the same time continuing to explore the more exotic and exciting forms of motorsports from around the world.

Boosted by a new technical partnership with the developers of the award-winning Project CARS series, Automobilista 2 is built on the MADNESS engine, providing incredible graphical quality, the most advanced dynamic weather and track condition systems in a racing simulator and superior VR support, to deliver a substantial realism upgrade and a fully immersive visual experience.

With Automobilista 2 we aim to combine the strengths that made its predecessor unique with major evolutions in all areas. The sim will offer some exclusive features for both single player and multiplayer, which we look forward to sharing over the remaining months of development!

AMS 2 is set to release December 2019.

For the latest news and discussion items in relation to the newly announced new racing simulation from Reiza Studios, head over to our brand new AMS 2 sub forum, and never miss a thing again!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Project Cars 2 got a bunch of things right that made it the best VR support title out there. The Force feedback is its main issue followed by the inconsistency in the cars and the AI is also quite punt happy. I am pretty excited to see the same engine but with the prospect of better force feedback, consistency of vehicles and better AI as well as adjustments to improve the physics. How much was the engine and how much is just the game I don't know.

But I am convinced to really do well in the industry now it isn't sufficient to just make a great playable game. The multiplayer features need to be there, you need a form of organised racing and matchmaking/splits so that you race people at the right safety and capabilities levels or just get bad races too often. Server lists just don't cut it anymore. This really needs to be worked on with importance, PC2 suffered with this for anything but externally organised races and AMS2 I hope intends to go down the SRS like route to solve this.

You can name it whatever you want, but there is way to much content no one cares about outside of Brazil and you know it. Look at the tracks.......(but thats why you decided to speak of the cars, I get it).

And why Forza? I dont see it; there's lots of other sims arounds, right?
What do you mean that no one cars about? Like what? I listed all those awesome types of cars and there's more I didn't list. What are some examples of cars that you think no one cares about?

I'm not a road car guy (I think low grip and/or especially heavy weight cars don't work too good in the rFactor/AMS physics engine) so besides road cars which there aren't many in AMS, what actual racing cars are you talking about that you think no one cares to drive? The only cars I can possibly see are the slowest and maybe second slowest of the karts - the "rental" ones (they're fun for me personally) - and the slowest version of the 70s touring car.

Regarding tracks, AMS's tracks are awesome. Almost all those South American tracks are bloody brilliant. I'm so thankful that Reiza introduced those tracks to me and the simracing world. Also, look at the kart tracks and how many configs for each? Also very good.

If you mean track physical quality like bumps, bump resolution, bump design/shape, etc. then maybe that can be improved. I asked a track maker years ago why he was able to model a track he made better in RF2 than RF1 and he told me that the RF1 engine can't accept the same type of track physical modelling as newer sims so maybe the surface in AMS is not at as complex as newer sims but it's still good.

The only thing I can see is if you wish for many road cars, GT racecars (I'm personally so bored with modern-day GT cars - games and real life), or tracks like Monza, Spa, and all the other famous F1 tracks.

This can be very good news, AMS might be able to pull it off. I have my doubts, but I hope it will turn up great. Definitely much more exiting that if they had chosen RF2 engine.
I have no issue with PC2 on the graphic side in VR. If after the AMS treatment the PC2 engine can also drive to my liking, this will be great.
This could be the PC3 we were hoping for but had given up hoping for it.

AMS already had day-night transition... Why does everyone not know this? AMS has 24hour cycle and it's better than rF2 in my opinion. Goes to night smoother.
You have to either disable day-to-night transitions in AMS or fully disable shadows (not "low" but fully disabled) - one or the other - or else there are stutters at certain parts of tracks and/or certain cameras. Regardless of framerate (60 fps or 300 fps). I was in the Reiza glitches/bugs thread with this a while back and others reported it too. It's related to the shadows being redrawn whenever the sun moves to a new position. The stutters occur in exact timing intervals as the value in the PLR file setting "Sky Update Frames." Change that value and the stutter timing interval changes accordingly.

Here's the original thread in the official Reiza forum. Partway down the first page, we discovered what it's tied to (shadows/lighting change whenever sky updates): https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/stuttering-issues-discussion-suggestions.1591/

Last edited:
Its not an assumption its a fact, why on earth would they use the Project cars physics,
game engines do not come shipped with physics anyways only very basic programming the core features,
they are using the Madness graphics and the famous Reiza physics everyone loves.

There is no such thing as "Reiza physics", AMS physics are running on ISIMotor/rF1 engine with increased physics rates and some other small tweaks. When Reiza bought access to ISIMotor engine they got both the physics and graphics. Actually building a physics engine for a sim is a huge undertaking, so it makes no sense to build a new physics engine when there are long developed solutions available. The Madness engine is actually in part based on ISIMotor, so it should be an improvement regardless of what happens.

There is no such thing as "Reiza physics", AMS physics are running on ISIMotor/rF1 engine with increased physics rates and some other small tweaks. When Reiza bought access to ISIMotor engine they got both the physics and graphics. Actually building a physics engine for a sim is a huge undertaking, so it makes no sense to build a new physics engine when there are long developed solutions available. The Madness engine is actually in part based on ISIMotor, so it should be an improvement regardless of what happens.

I doubt if there is any isiMotor code left in the Madness engine you see in Pcars2.
https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...962-images-and-bio.137423/page-2#post-2509252

What do you mean that no one cars about? Like what? I listed all those awesome types of cars and there's more I didn't list. What are some examples of cars that you think no one cares about?

I'm not a road car guy (I think low grip and/or especially heavy weight cars don't work too good in the rFactor/AMS physics engine) so besides road cars which there aren't many in AMS, what actual racing cars are you talking about that you think no one cares to drive? The only cars I can possibly see are the slowest and maybe second slowest of the karts - the "rental" ones (they're fun for me personally) - and the slowest version of the 70s touring car.

Regarding tracks, AMS's tracks are awesome. Almost all those South American tracks are bloody brilliant. I'm so thankful that Reiza introduced those tracks to me and the simracing world. Also, look at the kart tracks and how many configs for each? Also very good.

If you mean track physical quality like bumps, bump resolution, bump design/shape, etc. then maybe that can be improved. I asked a track maker years ago why he was able to model a track he made better in RF2 than RF1 and he told me that the RF1 engine can't accept the same type of track physical modelling as newer sims so maybe the surface in AMS is not at as complex as newer sims but it's still good.

The only thing I can see is if you wish for many road cars, GT racecars (I'm personally so bored with modern-day GT cars - games and real life), or tracks like Monza, Spa, and all the other famous F1 tracks.

As you can read by the moderators post; I (or anyone else for that matter) am not allowed to respond to the matter anymore. I was "negative" so a "no go".
You respond, positive, but clearly on the matter again which was forbidden and get away with it......count your blessings ;)

As you can read by the moderators post; I (or anyone else for that matter) am not allowed to respond to the matter anymore. I was "negative" so a "no go".
You respond, positive, but clearly on the matter again which was forbidden and get away with it......count your blessings ;)
Hmmm. Not sure what you're warning me ("count your blessings") about or why you said you were forbidden?? This is a public forum and all opinions, thoughts, feedback etc. should be welcome and that includes negative thoughts as long as you're not getting out of hand (foul language, racism, spamming, intent to hurt others, etc.). Why did you say you're forbidden?

I doubt if there is any isiMotor code left in the Madness engine you see in Pcars2.
https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...962-images-and-bio.137423/page-2#post-2509252
I'm not sure about PC2 as I don't own it but the ISI/RF physics engine is definitely there in Project Cars 1 (besides tyre model which is either a quite changed version of the ISI/RF one or completely separate all together).

In fact, I never even knew PC1 was based on the ISI/RF physics engine when I bought it. Within literally the 3rd corner of my first ever lap of my first ever car in PC1, I could tell it was based on the ISI/RF engine due to some unrealistic oversteer/inertia/mass behaviour during oversteer. I could feel and see this very strange behaviour that was oh too familiar to me (I've been harping about this ISI/RF/AMS and RF2 physics issue, amongst others, for years). When this happened, I knew right away PC must have been using the ISI/RF physics engine. So I went online and researched and, yes, it's the ISI/RF physics engine.

I only played PC2 briefly using the demo and tried the Lambo. While during those 6 or 7 laps I thought PC2 had less ISI/RF physics engine behaviour than PC1, there's definitely still some (including a bit of a strange braking phenomenon that's also still present in the ISI/RF/AMS and RF2 physics engine).

With my almost 20 years of ISI physics engine experience, it's quite interesting playing Project Cars 1 and 2. Due to PC being ISI engine based but a different tyre model, I at times experience ISI/RF physic coming through and other times I experience different physics because of PC's own tyre model (and possibly updates to the ISI/RF physics engine). So it seems like I'm switching between IS/RF physics and PC's physics sometimes even multiple times throughout a single turn. I can often sense when the car does something that's due to the ISI/RF physics side or when the car does something that's more due to the PC physics side. It's very interesting to experience!

Last edited:
Navigator. I'm out with my wife and son at the moment and don't really feel like wasting my time on you again, but I have to respond here, despite my PM to you last night.

Your negative comments have been kept in place, I even said that was fine despite your pretty poor tone. However the comments I warned you about and removed are nothing to do with being negative about the game, they are about being disrespectful to others, and clearly looking to provoke an argument with I would like to avoid.

Your frankly childish response to my PM, and your continual tone of posts on here indicate a similar level of childishness, which is a shame to see and read, and spoils the tone of the thread.

Have an opinion sure, have a debate sure, but try and behave sensible about it.. like 99% of the rest of the people commenting.

Now I've wasted enough of my precious and all too rare family time writing this, so back n topic folks!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.