AMS 2 Announced - MADNESS Engine Confirmed!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The announcement is here! Read on for some very big news regarding the next racing game project from Reiza Studios.

Having earned considerable good will from the sim racing community thanks to their outstanding work on GSCE and Automobilista, Reiza Studios confirmed they planned on developing and releasing a new racing title in the very near future. For various reasons that "very near future" turned into a couple of years or so, and the original working title of 'Reiza '17' quickly became obsolete.

Well folks, wait no more - the announcement is here!

Let’s be honest, we expected this to be good... and good it is. Firstly, let’s talk about the surprise aspect of the announcement today – the game engine.

Most folks would be willing to throw down money on Reiza taking hold of the rFactor 2 ISI gMotor2 and bolting on an external graphics engine… but Reiza have surprised us all with an announcement we didn’t expect – AMS 2 will be using the Slightly Mad Studios developed Madness engine!

So what does that mean? Well it means day-to-night transitions. It means dynamic weather and it means VR! Yes, all those things that sim racers ask for, wrapped up in an impressive graphics engine that gives good framerates. Oh, and with the Reiza magic touch regarding physics and force feedback thrown into the mix. Awesome.

So, what else do we know? Well looking at the new trailer, we see the now legendary StockCar Series and Interlargos circuit, giving us a couple of exceptional pieces of content, and leading me to believe that AMS 2 will once again have a focus on the Brazilian racing scene at its core – which is excellent news in my opinion.

Other highlights from trailer has to be the incredible 1991 Ayrton Senna McLaren Honda! The Brazilian legend, a legendary Brazilian development studio - how awesome is that!

All in, this announcement sounds like fantastic news from Reiza, and well, well worth the wait!

AMS 2 Announcement McLaren Honda.jpg

The Reiza announcement in full:

Automobilista 2 is the culmination of a project developed over the course of nearly a decade. At its core, it is a comprehensive simulation of the Brazilian motorsports scene, featuring all major Brazilian racing series, race tracks and manufacturers.

Automobilista 2 will also celebrate Brazilian motorsports heritage by featuring some of the country´s most iconic heroes and achievements through its rich history in the sport.

Packing an even larger roster of diverse cars and tracks than its predecessor, Automobilista 2 will venture further into the best of international motorsports, including prestigious brands such as McLaren and BMW along with iconic venues such as Brands Hatch and Imola, at the same time continuing to explore the more exotic and exciting forms of motorsports from around the world.

Boosted by a new technical partnership with the developers of the award-winning Project CARS series, Automobilista 2 is built on the MADNESS engine, providing incredible graphical quality, the most advanced dynamic weather and track condition systems in a racing simulator and superior VR support, to deliver a substantial realism upgrade and a fully immersive visual experience.

With Automobilista 2 we aim to combine the strengths that made its predecessor unique with major evolutions in all areas. The sim will offer some exclusive features for both single player and multiplayer, which we look forward to sharing over the remaining months of development!

AMS 2 is set to release December 2019.

For the latest news and discussion items in relation to the newly announced new racing simulation from Reiza Studios, head over to our brand new AMS 2 sub forum, and never miss a thing again!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
At first i was shocked that Reiza choosed madness engine, because most of us thought that they licensed rF2 engine.
I don't know how advanced madness is in term of physics compared to lovely RF2's Physics/Tire Model.
But right now rf2's engine is not a complete package.
So they had no other choice to choose between madness and UE4 .

I think madness is the best engine for simracing specially.

Every features devs/simracers wants , they are already there:
  • Vr checked
  • Triple screen checked
  • High quality Visuals checked
  • Day/night transitions checked
  • Advanced Weather checked

But I have no idea that how this engine works in a more serious racing sim that aimed hardcore simracers.
We want Advanced physics/tire model and nice ffb.
So time will tell.

Last edited:
Now I am curious to know who will win a mud pool fight between Renato and Ian...
Since I share the same body shapes it is interesting from a physics point of view...
:p

Seriously now, I am happy of the Madnees engine overall and looking forward to see it squeezed at max for AMS2, it has a lot of features people was asking for and it is more reliable than UE for sure (I don't understand why people loves it so much).

Personally, I think it will be interesting as an updated engine with AMS content and more sounds intriguing to me.

I guess AMS2 is the reason why there isn’t pcars 3. I hope all the content from AMS make it through to AMS 2.

I hope the QA will be good as the madness engine seemed a bit fiddling to QA.

Just a quick note to compliment @Renato Simioni and everyone else at Reiza for their open-minded and responsive attitude to members during the development of Automobilista 1 and up to version 1.5. Members of the Beta forum were asked which features they wanted to see added or improved, and the majority of requests were implemented. Reiza answered queries, suggestions or complaints with unfailing good humour and patience. The Reiza forums have been a friendly and calm place to frequent.

At the height of development, updates rained down weekly on forum members, and sometimes more often than that. There were times when a feature or refinement was asked for, and in a day or two the next version of AMS would appear with the solution installed and working. Furthermore, the early access gave (and is still giving) superb value for money.

So, good luck to Reiza and Automobilista 2. :thumbsup:

@Ian Bell thanks for responding here! Perhaps you can provide some insight.

There seems to be some confusion among users of this forum in relation to how Physics are determined with games and their game engines. I am of the impression that a game engine will have certain limits to how detailed physics calculations can be made, but ultimately it's the developers of a particular game that determines the exact calculations used and, ultimately, the end result.

To draw an analogy, it's like a student building something and measuring with a ruler that uses inches instead of millimeters: the student has the potential to be more accurate with the millimeter ruler...but it is also ultimately down to the skill of the student to measure the right areas and use those measurements wisely. It can be a less precise masterpiece vs. a very precisely measured hot mess.

Which is why you can have:
  • rFactor 2 (arguably the most "sim" of racing games currently released in full)
  • The Grand Tour (a very arcade style of racing game)

...both of which were made using the ISI Gmotor 2 engine. Two very different titles with 2 very different levels of realism in terms of physics.

Is this essentially a very simplified way of how each individual game comes up with physics? That the developer is ultimately responsible for the physics the user is presented?
(As opposed to the notion that every game engine is hard-coded with only 1 method of physics and every game will handle in the exact same way)

Just a quick note to compliment @Renato Simioni and everyone else at Reiza for their open-minded and responsive attitude to members during the development of Automobilista 1 and up to version 1.5. Members of the Beta forum were asked which features they wanted to see added or improved, and the majority of requests were implemented. Reiza answered queries, suggestions or complaints with unfailing good humour and patience. The Reiza forums have been a friendly and calm place to frequent.

At the height of development, updates rained down weekly on forum members, and sometimes more often than that. There were times when a feature or refinement was asked for, and in a day or two the next version of AMS would appear with the solution installed and working. Furthermore, the early access gave (and is still giving) superb value for money.

So, good luck to Reiza and Automobilista 2. :thumbsup:

Well said, the funny thing is Bell and Co simply did not listen and do not have the required talent or ability make even half decent physics and FFB and they never will in their current state.
Luckily for us reiza have all the qualities needed.

Well said, the funny thing is Bell and Co simply did not listen and do not have the required talent or ability make even half decent physics and FFB and they never will in their current state.
Luckily for us reiza have all the qualities needed.
You should learn to respect the others work, you can dislike the final product (and don't buy it) but I wouldn't attack their personal skills (do not have the required talent or ability)....there are a lot of guys which really enjoyed PC titles...

Ah the fanboys are out in force it seems.

As for every comment an insult? really? lack of talent comment maybe so but every comment ?exaggerating just a tad there.
If a studio claims they have industry leading physics but actually dont they are there to be challenged.
The lack of talent comment was not intended as an insult but if you see it that way so be it.

Last edited:
My last post (see above) was not meant to slight anyone else. It was simply praise for Reiza's development process.

Its not a slight on anyone Stephen, they are just pissed i called out SMS and their lack of ability when it comes to physics and ffb.
Apologies for quoting you, ill take the stick thrown at me , rest assured your comments are not what they have a beef with.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back