Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Release 4 - Ferrari .jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione will reach the fourth release milestone tomorrow, adding the Hungaroring circuit and the wonderful Ferrari 488 GT3...

Most sim racers probably know all about the development scheduled for Assetto Corsa Competizione by now, and many of those same people are probably more than a little keen for tomorrow to hurry up and arrive, as Wednesday 12th December 2018 marks the day that release four of this exciting new simulation is scheduled to deploy to Early Access adopters of ACC.

With anticipation and excitement building up rather nicely, Kunos have dropped another new teaser image or two of the feature piece of new content coming to the sim - the wonderful Ferrari 488 GT3...

Only a matter of hours to go now folks, and we will be able to try the car and track for ourselves (ok my rig is at the shop, so I'll have to wait a bit - but don't let that worry you.. go on and enjoy it!)..

ACC Release 4 - Ferrari 3.jpg
ACC Release 4 - Ferrari 2.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 3 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Yeah we have to support developers, but I am less interested in supporting devs which can instantly revert simulation just because people don't like it. Twitchy car ? Sure it is not twitchy anymore. Car is too hard to recover from oversteer ? Suuuure, not anymore. FFB is not like you were used to ? Now it is like you used to... Don't like too much variation in grip levels ? Yeah, lets improve it to be more even. We don't like bumps as well, they make cars unstable !

You're absolutely right, that's what worries me in sim titles. The simracing community should get the feature it wants, not the physics it wants. Developpers are those who know how they should be done. If they rely on the community, there's a huge problem and they should get into another business.

But on an other side, the sim racing community is full of racing physics experts (although the specific commission in formula one, F1 fans will remember the name for me, admited aerodynamics are still hard to understand) and can divide itself and starts clans rivalries for any detail. It's understandable for a developper to, at least, give the community the impression it is involved in the process. In any case, sim developpers won't please everybody.

Last edited:
I may seem to troll about the performance side. I can't understand the obsession of always getting the latest technological advancements, in pc components, in tv, in photography, in sound... You get a lot more than previous technologies and people generally won't use the new features. The best example being digital cameras, people buying the sensor with the maximum pixels without paying attention to the resolution of the most importznt thing, the lens... Without mentionning that with higher resolution sensors and older lenses more postprocess job has to be done to get the same result than the ine got from an older dslr with the same lens... And most important it is more important to focus on the way of taking pictures, composition, inspiration... Blurry pictures from old film cameras are still pieces of arts, you do not need insane technologies to achieve some groundbraking work.

The thing is, whereas I can't understand that, it's not an issue at all in general (and it brings technological improvements with less risk for companies ; and unfortunately more debts for some customers, that's another topic). Anyone can enjoy his hobby as he wants, some by enjoying their new gadget full of features, others with a simple effective tool.

In pc gaming it is not the case. Basically any game won't be enjoyed the same way by different users. And if only those who spent a lot of money on their pc can enjoy a game, well, the game will be dead soon, especially when it relies on its multiplayer component. I understand people with great configurations want more and more visually, but do not forget the average player who will keep ypur game alive and play with you (exactly the same way that middle classes drive the exonomical system).

• Deleted member 241736

is EA 4 out to jump in? I‘m at work till Friday, some impressions plz. What means TC2 in my lovley Ferrari?

Get it now and support a dev team that is making Sims for us ! If we dont support them now in a few years no one will bother making racing Sims and we will all be screwed into playing Forza's and F1 by Codemasters games .
I own all Sims but only play 2 ,rF2 and AC and will continue to buy them until the ultimate sim arrives and then i will still buy more :)
Thanks man, i will go and get it :)
Im all doown to support devs, i even donate to guys who make awesome mods to motivate them in bringing out more content!!!!

Guys, i wan't to get this SIM, i run triples 1080's with a 980ti, have decent FPS with graphics all the (almost maxed out in rF2) and in AC they are maxed out and capped at 75 constant even with a full grid.
By what i have been reading in the comments about the game being poorly optimized, is it worth to get it now? or wait till its fully released with a better otimization?

It depends on what you want from the SIM. I have a 980ti, and 1080p triples as well. With this title I have to set everything at medium except I think I have the mirror resolution at low. What that does for me is in hot lapping I am running in the mid 60 frames per second range. I have not run too many races but I limit the amount of cars I can see and the draw distance in the rearview mirror for races and my frames per second are in the mid 50s I believe. If you drop some of the settings down to low you could probably creep back up to 60 with ai races.

Rain and weather effects also take frames-per-second away. They look beautiful but you can't have settings on low and see them. I forget exactly what the setting is but if you drop the setting to low the rain actually cannot be seen on the windshield. You can still see that the road is wet and feel the low grip but you can't see it. I have driven in the rain at medium-resolution and you can see everything and it looks great but you will lose frames per second for sure.

I have no idea about future optimization with this title. My guess is that you just are going to have to optimize yourself to a certain degree. The stuff kunos are putting out is already very polished. That leads me to think that they have done a lot of optimization on the engine already. Will we pick up a few frames per second during the course of development? Yeah, I would guess that is going to happen. But don't expect a revolution in frame rate. Companies are being pressured by the market and by console titles to produce great graphics. For those of us who have triple screens or VR that spells a problem. The demands on our system are huge in those cases and we are going to need to open up our wallets in a very deep way to be able to run modern titles at anywhere near near their full graphical Splendor, even in 1080p. I figure that a 1080ti would allow all features to be set at medium to high with a full grid and get 60 frames per second on triples. I haven't looked at what they cost but the last time I did it seem like they hadn't dropped in price very much. Some other titles are better optimized or just less demanding graphically. IRacing is adding a lot of graphic features and I have seen frames per second drop there as well. There is always the original assetto Corsa and even better, automobilista which has such an outdated Graphics engine you get huge frames per second with a decent setup.

On another note, I just tried the Ferrari and the Hungaroring. I had forgotten that this track is like one long turn and a straight away, LOL. In an F1 car it must really seem like that due to the speed. Kunos have done a wonderful job of recreating this track and it just looks beautiful. The car looks beautiful too of course. Obviously, it handles more closely to the Lamborghini then the Bentley or BMW because it is mid-engined. I didn't get the chance to drive too much but it felt good. For each of these cars I have been testing them with traction control off to start and in that condition the Ferrari felt like it had a lot of traction compared to the others. With the few laps that I did I have to say that my main observation is it is going to take awhile to learn this track. It feels very technical and if you screw up a corner at some spots it really will mess up the following sequence. All of my first laps I kept missing the chicane until I realized there are two billboards as you're coming down that short straight that alert you that the next turn has the chicane, LOL. I've never been so thankful for billboards!

It depends on what you want from the SIM. I have a 980ti, and 1080p triples as well. With this title I have to set everything at medium except I think I have the mirror resolution at low. What that does for me is in hot lapping I am running in the mid 60 frames per second range. I have not run too many races but I limit the amount of cars I can see and the draw distance in the rearview mirror for races and my frames per second are in the mid 50s I believe. If you drop some of the settings down to low you could probably creep back up to 60 with ai races.

Rain and weather effects also take frames-per-second away. They look beautiful but you can't have settings on low and see them. I forget exactly what the setting is but if you drop the setting to low the rain actually cannot be seen on the windshield. You can still see that the road is wet and feel the low grip but you can't see it. I have driven in the rain at medium-resolution and you can see everything and it looks great but you will lose frames per second for sure.

I have no idea about future optimization with this title. My guess is that you just are going to have to optimize yourself to a certain degree. The stuff kunos are putting out is already very polished. That leads me to think that they have done a lot of optimization on the engine already. Will we pick up a few frames per second during the course of development? Yeah, I would guess that is going to happen. But don't expect a revolution in frame rate. Companies are being pressured by the market and by console titles to produce great graphics. For those of us who have triple screens or VR that spells a problem. The demands on our system are huge in those cases and we are going to need to open up our wallets in a very deep way to be able to run modern titles at anywhere near near their full graphical Splendor, even in 1080p. I figure that a 1080ti would allow all features to be set at medium to high with a full grid and get 60 frames per second on triples. I haven't looked at what they cost but the last time I did it seem like they hadn't dropped in price very much. Some other titles are better optimized or just less demanding graphically. IRacing is adding a lot of graphic features and I have seen frames per second drop there as well. There is always the original assetto Corsa and even better, automobilista which has such an outdated Graphics engine you get huge frames per second with a decent setup.

Well, the reason i'm getting ACC is like i believe, the same as everyone here, for the driving experience. Graphics are secondary, altough i would prefer having the best balance between FPS and eye candy of course :p
Regarding our triple setup that we in simracing so much like and adore, the only reason im still runinng a 980ti is because it still gives me good performance on the sims I play mostly (rF2 and AC) but without a doubt for the next gen coming out i will have to upgrade a a much much better GPU (1080ti at least).

Thanks for the reply :)

OMFG

I'm totally loving the Ferrari on Hungaroring - is it me or has ACC really made quite a big leap forward with this build?

Instant connection with this combo, can't wipe the stupid grin off my face.

Then again, this track is the only one I've ever driven on in real life, that might have something to do with it...

Just a way to say if you are not expecting the best image quality with lots of fps on your 4k screen on most demanding games, you'll enjoy what you get. Gaming and simracing is not only about graphics. My reference to overpostprocessed trailers and screenshots is just to make youbjnderstand that you will never get this quality whatever components you buy, so by lowering your graphics expectations, you will enjoy your sim.
But nobody was (well, I wasn't, and you responded to me) talking about expecting the best image quality from trailers and screenshots. I was talking about ACC being a blurry aliased mess at 1200p with graphics that looks way blockier than most other games I regularly run, including current games with visuals on par with ACC. Why should I supposedly "lower my graphic expectations" below what I regularly experience on my apparently "potato PC" (that runs pretty much everything I throw at it at 60 fps or more in 1200p) just for ACC? It is not *that* special in any regard to warrant such a special treatment. My graphics expectations are fine, don't try to force me into your own narrative about having too high expectations just because you seem to disagree.
So I'm certainly hoping they will still be able to do something about it during the rest of the EA, even though the time is running out quickly.

But nobody was (well, I wasn't, and you responded to me) talking about expecting the best image quality from trailers and screenshots. I was talking about ACC being a blurry aliased mess at 1200p with graphics that looks way blockier than most other games I regularly run, including current games with visuals on par with ACC. Why should I supposedly "lower my graphic expectations" below what I regularly experience on my apparently "potato PC" (that runs pretty much everything I throw at it at 60 fps or more in 1200p) just for ACC? It is not *that* special in any regard to warrant such a special treatment. My graphics expectations are fine, don't try to force me into your own narrative about having too high expectations just because you seem to disagree.
So I'm certainly hoping they will still be able to do something about it during the rest of the EA, even though the time is running out quickly.
Quiet a misunderstanding there, I thought your potato comment was refering to my config. We totally agree. I wasn't refering to you. As me you expect something comparable to what you experience in other sims, by that your expectations are lower than those of someone who wants to run the game with maximum graphic settings or better (refering to promo material). As you can read in my comments I think ACC has to deal with lower configs that can run flawlessly current sims and games.

Quiet a misunderstanding there, I thought your potato comment was refering to my config. We totally agree. I wasn't refering to you. As me you expect something comparable to what you experience in other sims, by that your expectations are lower than those of someone who wants to run the game with maximum graphic settings or better (refering to promo material). As you can read in my comments I think ACC has to deal with lower configs that can run flawlessly current sims and games.
I don't think it has to. First sim with UE4 and far more advanced graphics. It has the price...

Just tried the update and must say that it's definitely an improvement. Yeah Kunos. There were improvements to the overall lighting. Lights, darks look so much better now. the contrast looks much more realistic. the 488 handles like a dream and the HR is a wonderfully done track. Keep this up Kunos. Performance is still a bit stodgy on my i7 6800, GTX 1060, which shouldn't be the case, but I'm hoping this gets better over time. I love the handling of the cars, the sounds etc. C'mon Kunos, bring this one home. Get us a bit better performance and this title will move into the epic category.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.