8020 Custom SimLab GT1 Replica BUILD

Hi guys, I'm new to this website and I just wanted to share my intended 8020 Cockpit design and find out what you guys think. I designed it as close as I could based on SimLabs GT1. From their website, I compared their P1 to the GT1 and I reckon the GT1 looks to be far more versatile especially with the pedal deck.
I created a nice design on MAY-CAD to millimeter precision. I used their GT1 schematic on their website and started making rough sketches until had all profile lengths measured.

I wanted to integrate triple monitor mounts even though I plan on using one 27" for now but may plan on it within the future. I plan on fitting SimLabs Wheel deck which will add 100 euro to my build. I have priced all materials on Motedis.co.uk and it totals to £477.88 or 537 EURO

My Custom 8020 Cockpit Includes: GT1 Cockpit
Keyboard support
Mouse support
Integrated Triple Monitor Mounts Connection/Fittings (screws,nuts,caps,brackets etc)
Total excl carraige = €537

SimLab Cockpit Includes : GT1 Cockpit
Keyboard support
Mouse Pad
Integrated Triple Monitor Mounts
Connections.... etc
Total excl carraige = €936

Savings = €399

Here is my MAY-CAD design and Parts List from Motedis.

It wont let me upload the maycad file but if want it message me

Attachments

• gt1.JPG
    gt1.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 3,007
  • list1.JPG
    list1.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,392
  • list2.JPG
    list2.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 2,070
  • list3.JPG
    list3.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 2,014
I have a couple of short pieces of profile attached to the side of my monitor stand. I just rest the keyboard on the while I'm driving and can easily reach for it if I need to type something or adjust a setting. I have Velcro on the underneath of the keyboard and also on the profile where it sits, so it stays completely stuck even during driving. I forget it's there while I'm racing. It's wireless too, so I don't have to mess about with ANOTHER cable. I ordered the mouse platform to attach to the SimLab rig but I don't use it anymore, as I have cut down the length of the arm that mounts my shifters, handbrake and what used to be the mouse platform. I just use a stand alone table for now, which I can move about.

Upvote 0
Have a scoot through my sim rig tour and you'll see how I DIY'ed my keyboard tray. I'm using a cheap trackpad instead on a mouse, that's in the video too.

Thanks, like the trackpad and keyboard ideas there. Just looking at the cost of the GT1, where did you get the 40% saving from? Having a look now and I reckon it's about the same price getting the GT1 or buying your own bits. Unless I am confused?

Upvote 0
Thanks, like the trackpad and keyboard ideas there. Just looking at the cost of the GT1, where did you get the 40% saving from? Having a look now and I reckon it's about the same price getting the GT1 or buying your own bits. Unless I am confused?

Different aluminium profile suppliers costs can vary a lot. motedis.co.uk is the cheapest supplier I found and where the saving is made. In the video description there's a downloadable parts list and that includes links to each component in the build.

Upvote 0
Different aluminium profile suppliers costs can vary a lot. motedis.co.uk is the cheapest supplier I found and where the saving is made. In the video description there's a downloadable parts list and that includes links to each component in the build.

All downloaded thank you and priced up at Motedis.

If you look at GT1 priced at €599 = £525 or self build comes in at £378.59 which works out about 27% or £146 cheaper which isn't to be sniffed at.

Just wondering if I have missed something? I seem to be missing over £10 price difference, or maybe the prices have changed or it's the exchange rate having an affect on the euro to GBP conversion.

Not trying to come across bad here, hope I'm not. Appreciate your help!

Upvote 0
All downloaded thank you and priced up at Motedis.

If you look at GT1 priced at €599 = £525 or self build comes in at £378.59 which works out about 27% or £146 cheaper which isn't to be sniffed at.

Just wondering if I have missed something? I seem to be missing over £10 price difference, or maybe the prices have changed or it's the exchange rate having an affect on the euro to GBP conversion.

Not trying to come across bad here, hope I'm not. Appreciate your help!

The SIM LAB rig at 599 Euro doesn't include shipping until to you calculate it in the shopping cart, it comes to £580 total. I did realise after making the video I didn't calculate the M8 bolts correctly. So it comes in at 35% cheaper.

Upvote 0
Been looking at this thread the last couple of days now. Yesterday I had a go with the MAY-CAD software and build my own rig based on a GT1 aswell.
Are these the connectors I should use?
https://www.motedis.co.uk/shop/Slot...-slot-8/Bracket-40-I-Typ-slot-8::9999998.html

Also, do they look 'goldish' in real life like the pic or are they just regular alu-grey? Before putting it into my cart, selecting 'with fastening set and cover cap' does that mean I don't have to look for nuts+bolts to mount them?

Upvote 0
Been looking at this thread the last couple of days now. Yesterday I had a go with the MAY-CAD software and build my own rig based on a GT1 aswell.
Are these the connectors I should use?
https://www.motedis.co.uk/shop/Slot...-slot-8/Bracket-40-I-Typ-slot-8::9999998.html

Also, do they look 'goldish' in real life like the pic or are they just regular alu-grey? Before putting it into my cart, selecting 'with fastening set and cover cap' does that mean I don't have to look for nuts+bolts to mount them?

That's just a bad picture, they are aluminium coloured. These are the correct connectors. When I've used Motedis in the past I've bought the connectors. I didn't buy them as a 'fastening set', but looking at that option that does mean to me it includes the bolts and nuts. You could throw them an email to confirm, but it appears to be a pretty logical conclusion.

Upvote 0
Thanks for clarifying. I'll throw 'em a mail and post their response in here for the folks that might be interested in this too.

Edit: They said that the full package includes 2x screw DIN7380 M8x16 & 2 x T-nut guided slot 8/M8 I-type. It's also on their website in the description.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bit off topic, but does anyone have experience with simvibe, amps and transducers? I have a JBL 280W 4 Channel amp sitting in its box new unopened. I did a small bit of research on simvibe and something called chassis mode which mimics all four tyres. How powerful are these bass transducers and would a 280 watt amp do the job, Id need a new soundcard I imagine.

And most importantly... Is it worth it ????

Upvote 0
Bit off topic, but does anyone have experience with simvibe, amps and transducers? I have a JBL 280W 4 Channel amp sitting in its box new unopened. I did a small bit of research on simvibe and something called chassis mode which mimics all four tyres. How powerful are these bass transducers and would a 280 watt amp do the job, Id need a new soundcard I imagine.

And most importantly... Is it worth it ????

Very off topic!

I recommend using the search function in future, you can find threads like this: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/recommendations-for-simvibe-setup-obutto-r3volution.141022/

Upvote 0
Thanks for clarifying. I'll throw 'em a mail and post their response in here for the folks that might be interested in this too.

Edit: They said that the full package includes 2x screw DIN7380 M8x16 & 2 x T-nut guided slot 8/M8 I-type. It's also on their website in the description.

Good to know, those are indeed the correct nuts and bolts for your build. Don't forget to post a picture of the completed rig.

Upvote 0
I remade my rig a bit this evening, I'm still figuring things out before taking the leap to order it. I'll attach my rig + part lists to this post.
I'm only not sure what screws to use for the connector plates etc.
- Will a M8x16 be long enough to go through a 5mm plate into the nut?
- Will a M8x35 be good enough to use on https://www.motedis.be/shop/Alumini...are-stelvoet-40-I-type-sleuf-8::99999343.html ?

On the pics of the rig I didn't include the connector plates (didn't bother putting 'em in MAY-CAD), the 156x78x5 plates will be used for the pedal extrusions and 1 for the shifter arm.
The 4 76x76x5 plates will be used to mount the upright stands. I'll mount 1 column into the base, the other one into the upright stand and the same for the other side of the arm, leaving the middle profile open (I cant find a plate with a 2x5 bolt pattern).

For monitor mount I'm probably gonna buy the Simlab integrated triple mount and buy their keyboard and mousetray aswell.

I'm coming at €328,07 for the whole rig including shipping (excluding monitor mount and accessories) vs. €499 (excluding shipping) for the Simlab GT1. This will save me around €200 if you include shipping with the GT1.

Can't wait to get my end-of-year bonus so I can buy an OSW at once aswell.

EDIT: My base is only 1250mm as I'm only 165cm tall (or small, depends on how you see it)

Attachments

• List 1.PNG
    List 1.PNG
    62.7 KB · Views: 278
  • List 2.PNG
    List 2.PNG
    74.9 KB · Views: 282
  • List 3.PNG
    List 3.PNG
    43.9 KB · Views: 301
  • Pic 1.PNG
    Pic 1.PNG
    169.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Pic 2.PNG
    Pic 2.PNG
    170.2 KB · Views: 275
Upvote 0
I've been a lurker on here for awhile but I wanted to thank everyone that posted their plans and ideas. I just ordered parts for my rig (via Motedis). I think my planned rig is overkill but it gives me a good baseline for future upgrades. (ignore the wheel section, I added the parts but couldn't move them in the CAD software).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0
I've been a lurker on here for awhile but I wanted to thank everyone that posted their plans and ideas. I just ordered parts for my rig (via Motedis). I think my planned rig is overkill but it gives me a good baseline for future upgrades. (ignore the wheel section, I added the parts but couldn't move them in the CAD software).
Nice design also with the heel rest. The biggest concern I would think is how the rig will be compatible with your body length, if your over 6 ft tall or have long legs just bare in mind seat to peal distance but it seems that your rig might cater for that. What length are the base profiles? Is this for a DD wheel. You may find some lateral movement in the wheel uprights as its sitting on top of the base profile. I custom made steel 6mm plates like in simlabs gt1 or p1 cockpits, but it was a bitch to make.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back