8020 Custom SimLab GT1 Replica BUILD

Hi guys, I'm new to this website and I just wanted to share my intended 8020 Cockpit design and find out what you guys think. I designed it as close as I could based on SimLabs GT1. From their website, I compared their P1 to the GT1 and I reckon the GT1 looks to be far more versatile especially with the pedal deck.
I created a nice design on MAY-CAD to millimeter precision. I used their GT1 schematic on their website and started making rough sketches until had all profile lengths measured.

I wanted to integrate triple monitor mounts even though I plan on using one 27" for now but may plan on it within the future. I plan on fitting SimLabs Wheel deck which will add 100 euro to my build. I have priced all materials on Motedis.co.uk and it totals to £477.88 or 537 EURO

My Custom 8020 Cockpit Includes: GT1 Cockpit
Keyboard support
Mouse support
Integrated Triple Monitor Mounts Connection/Fittings (screws,nuts,caps,brackets etc)
Total excl carraige = €537

SimLab Cockpit Includes : GT1 Cockpit
Keyboard support
Mouse Pad
Integrated Triple Monitor Mounts
Connections.... etc
Total excl carraige = €936

Savings = €399

Here is my MAY-CAD design and Parts List from Motedis.

It wont let me upload the maycad file but if want it message me

Attachments

• gt1.JPG
    gt1.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 3,003
  • list1.JPG
    list1.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,388
  • list2.JPG
    list2.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 2,065
  • list3.JPG
    list3.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 2,011
I've a GT1 - your design looks as good as if not better - I suppose the quick adjusts they supply for the pedal deck are handy but you only really set it up occasionally.

I'd suggest against an integrated monitor stand however, as even my wheel ffb can be felt in my seat, so the alu sections transmit it really well throughout the structure, and hence it'd also head to the monitors potentially.

I also fitted a buttkicker, and similarly, I can feel it's feedback on the wheel uprights and deck.

Just my tuppenceworth mind.

Upvote 0
I forgot to mention I would be fitting the same adjustable lever clamps 4 in total for the pedal, the software just didnt have them.

Hmmm, I was wondering if there would be any vibration or shaking wit the monitor mounts but my design looks for more rigid to the simlab version. I even changed the mounting profile to 40x80 instead of 40x40 for more rigidness. Wheel do you run on the gt1 ?

Attachments

• rig.2.JPG
    rig.2.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 2,320
  • rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,411
  • rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,110
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Clubsport 2.0 with the F1 carbon rim.

Whilst mine is utterly rigid - I can stand on my pedal deck - it's still really good at transmitting vibration through the framework. Over a rumble strip and it might set the screens shaking a bit, potentially. Depends on your FFB levels I guess, and how securely the screens attach...

Upvote 0
Watched your vid about 30 mins ago, after seeing a post perhaps (GTPlanet?) ...

Great work - my mate is looking at building one so we took all the measurements of mine, but he then knocked up a modified design too - to disconnect the pedal deck from the wheel uprights so all could be adjusted separately. I've sent him the link though.

Wish this had been around (with a shopping list) before I got mine !!

Upvote 0
Nice design Jeremy. I watched your video, have you built this rig yet or have you plans to. Are your monitors separate from the rig?

Thanks Darren, I won't be building this myself as I already have a GT1 SIM LAB cockpit, an older model I bought in early 2016. In the Frame Designer video you can see both side by side as a comparison.

Upvote 0
Wow awesome setup. I have a fanatec csl elite and elite pedals atm, but i plan on a osw in the future which is motivating me to build this rig in the first place. That motion platform looks cool but I doubt ill pay 3k for one in the future. I see alot of people go on about vr. Is it really worth it? Iv never experienced vr ever before.
Also when I watched your sim rig tour video, what was the box underneath your pedal deck?

Upvote 0
Cheers Darren. I started my journey a few years back with a G27. You won't regret upgrading to an OSW they're amazing. I run with VR most of the time, it's the ultimate realism. You're sitting in the driving seat at a 1:1 scale, you can look around freely and have depth perception. I also play many other non sim racing VR games too, I just enjoy VR.

The box under the pedals is my Reckhorn transducer, it's difficult to see clearly the shape in the video.

Upvote 0
My seat is just attached with seat sliders (regular car seat slider) and then a couple of vertical plates that are shaped and have a variety of holes for side - fitting seats. If seat mounts from underneath, then just bolted to the seat sliders as per a real car.

Upvote 0
My seat is just attached with seat sliders (regular car seat slider) and then a couple of vertical plates that are shaped and have a variety of holes for side - fitting seats. If seat mounts from underneath, then just bolted to the seat sliders as per a real car.

What he said! :)

1) Bolt seat slider to the 40/40 rails.
2) Bolt seat to seat slider.

Upvote 0

Cheers Col.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have no keyboard tray as such - just a wireless keyboard which sits at the side of my PC.

I do have a separate mouse on a Ikea stool tho, as the keyboard trackpad isn't the best.

I do have a plan to order one from somewhere but just haven't got around to it yet....

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 232 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 161 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 118 7.5%
  • < 5 years