2018 Formula One Azerbaijan Grand Prix

Saw this which I thought looked interesting.

Niki Lauda: Max Verstappen 70 percent to blame for Red Bull collision

ZUnfELFv8gP6ipfrxXYFE8StVlkKirF72JnuzLhA3a_48jmeyrHj1GvYGt5uj_JndAjN5N6Vm-_jWwshcG1Qd1SVSEZwpVFWnzhQAGCpc4LObKYW5gicG0gHejdoR5lB-RPuktRq2rvJaXpUNhaENJphCpR_86jPDdMyk543aiOTv4GxmHJoe5mb61MRDGkDESSm4ebVpOg05XE3ifMEolL99d5EuafWfQBZ8yia8YgX0N2mlwBa-Sezuem37ltDeKwJW3ZALS1eU7CeYsU8YVxP6JgzyHkZncmfJT27c2fhrz-b1gsFimEJXhO8QazWo-l7VtD-g4Gzf9zmnGjIs035HUkoVT3BozqnNLupTzEyeP8OZ_YqGD65fg3U6eh6HnzEkAe8yDEktdAhEZ2xrkXZ50JszpDZf36fwV2QrQJAu5y8-r67YTdP_mlp_s04Nvrplyu0dnc3QI9Q7xuOKfLKtznCbfFhMxFOAiiBggwx4UD6RJi72Z0ZPAj6WLu48zLo4HFfQZIgnbVo3lmY70hETJuZpC5pm4XxF6JY_HIScG_vRAiGoatEJ6VSNbOQXRL3wecH2sYi3H2kEJyMqI0pp_XGqhgcafix-BeQ=w596-h675-no

Team should let them race but also know their personalities and should have controlled the situation a bit ....this has been brewing for a while and i believe that's why people are a lot harder on Max, he fast but just needs to learn to give space and live to fight.
Apart from that i don't think he deserves all the backlash for the crash, but things end up catching up with you somehow.
He's now compromised, next races he will get pushed by drivers because he can't afford another crash .

I would like to officially submit a request that all RBR/Verstappen/Ricciardo comments be moved to a new thread. I think this particular one has lost its focus. While there are many of you who have been reviewing and discussing based on the facts and the applicable FIA rules, some of you seem to be forever fans of someone and can't budge regardless. Kind of like climate-change deniers.

As for the rest of the race, does anyone else remember:
  • The large tree limb in the middle of the road.
  • Hulkenburg making a very uncharacteristic mistake. (Does anyone else think The Hulk might be a good pick for the Ferrari seat if Raikkonen leaves?)
  • Seeing the debris that Bottas ran over, live, and thinking "Wow that's going to be a problem for someone."
  • Getting to see a Sauber pit stop on the live feed and realizing they are just as good as everyone else, why can't they find another half second in the chassis
  • That stupid recovery vehicle they used for Grosjean? Didn't the FIA learn their lesson on that one with Bianci? Sure, the cars were under SC, but a 60kph hit under the rear of that vehicle could end up the same way. Even Hamilton radioed something about that.
  • Alonso driving around 80% of the circuit on two tyres, and still recovered to P7.
Anyways...just trying to make a point that there's a whole lot of fun stuff to talk about that won't get your blood pressure up.

• That stupid recovery vehicle they used for Grosjean? Didn't the FIA learn their lesson on that one with Bianci? Sure, the cars were under SC, but a 60kph hit under the rear of that vehicle could end up the same way. Even Hamilton radioed something about that.
Yeah thought the exact same while watching it. A short red flag after the Gosjean crash might have been the better option imo , considering the amount of remaining laps and the lead situation. It might have been too close to the 2hr mark then, but they´ve spent ages behind the safety car as well so...

It might have been too close to the 2hr mark
I believe a red-flag stoppage also stops the 2hr clock. They actually have a 4hr timer to finish a race if it has a lot of red flags. Go look at the 2016 Brazilian GP which, I believe, was just over 3 hours. So, it's 4 hours from start to finish, but only 2 hours of actual driving.

I believe a red-flag stoppage also stops the 2hr clock. They actually have a 4hr timer to finish a race if it has a lot of red flags. Go look at the 2016 Brazilian GP which, I believe, was just over 3 hours. So, it's 4 hours from start to finish, but only 2 hours of actual driving.
I see, so to neutralize the race with a red flag like in last year´s race would´ve arguably been a better and safer choice then.

The large tree limb in the middle of the road.
Omg I couldn't believe it:confused:
I was watching the action then all of sudden there's a tree, looks like it actually grows in the middle of the road:O_o: and craziest thing is.. these two morons (aka "commentators") didn't even saw it ??
Or am I imagining I was thinking or they really suck.
I settle on second option a couple of seconds later.
Seeing the debris that Bottas ran over, live, and thinking "Wow that's going to be a problem for someone."
I actually saw it too and morons, once again - didn't.
Anyone surprised again ?
That stupid recovery vehicle they used for Grosjean? Didn't the FIA learn their lesson on that one with Bianci? Sure, the cars were under SC, but a 60kph hit under the rear of that vehicle could end up the same way. Even Hamilton radioed something about that
Totally on point.:thumbsup: I was thinking the same. Also...
They were so goddamn SLOOOOW !?! We almost run out the time, it would be such a shame to deny us a final spectacle because they were incompeten. Thou... Bottas would probably win this way hmm...
Bad debris cleaning up. For more information - just ask Bottas.
Getting to see a Sauber pit stop on the live feed and realizing they are just as good as everyone else, why can't they find another half second in the chassis
ehhh... a million dollar question.
Ok, make it twelve. :D

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 113561

That stupid recovery vehicle they used for Grosjean? Didn't the FIA learn their lesson on that one with Bianci? Sure, the cars were under SC, but a 60kph hit under the rear of that vehicle could end up the same way. Even Hamilton radioed something about that.
I hated that vehicle, it clearly had a subtle political statement on it ...

• Deleted member 113561

https://www.formula1.com/en/champio.../Licenses_driving_protocol_and_penalties.html

"More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. If a driver has moved off the racing line while defending their position, they may move back but must ensure there is at least one car’s width between their own car and the edge of the track."
Okay its from the website itself not from the PDF rule book ...

Additionally in the stewards verdict, it was kinda covered ...

Sadly they just took out that section on the website in the last 24h... WHY?
Probably some Max fan behind it ...

It says now very unspecific:
Offences include jumping the start of the race, causing an avoidable accident, unfairly blocking another driver, impeding another driver while being lapped, and speeding in the pit lane.

I'm not expert on F1, but isn't there in the rules that if you are defending your position , you can only change your line once ?
and Verstappend did 2 changes, as he also did in the past on Vettel,
so yeah, in my book the crash is 95% Verstappen

and it's even more sad that he did that on his team mate

edit: what tree growing in the middle of the road are you talking about ? I seem to have missed something

Ehhh... I can't find an image for you now, but believe me ...it was there.
And what is more interesting :confused: it looked somehow like it actually grows from the track itself !?! :D
Don't know how... probably weird angle, that now famous Baku wind...
Ok, it wasn't actually a whole tree. A branch. But, cross my heart... a quite huge one. :x3:

Ok, edit:
I actually find it.

35c3e02fe1b94c8dc9fb6dc249a483e7

I didn't lied, didn't I ? :D
Any my dear "commentators", God bless them both, manage somehow not to see it !!?
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Hamilton hits Max's rear tire, Ric hits Max's gearbox, and the front driver is the bad Guy.
I'am happy that on the public roads it is different! Stupid forum discussion, again and again, bla bla bla.:poop:

Sadly they just took out that section on the website in the last 24h... WHY?
Probably some Max fan behind it ...

It says now very unspecific:

However, the PDF it links to, says this:

27.2 Drivers must observe the provisions of the Code relating to driving behaviour on circuits at all times.

And in the International Sporting Code, Appendix L, Chaper IV, 2b it clearly states:

b) Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be carried out on either the right or the left.

A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason.

More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted.

Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.

However, manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited. Any driver who appears guilty of any of the above offences will be reported to the Stewards.

So the rule still applies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea