1970's Performance Mustangs

Cars 1970's Performance Mustangs 0.92

Login or Register an account to download this content
Well I finally got around to giving at least one of these lovely cars a try, and I was drawn to the 428 for some reason...

I took it to the acu_Bathurst mod track simply because it's one that I know reasonably well and I thought it'd be one hell of a ride in a 70s Mustang :)

I have to say it feels the most 'authentic' of the old muscle cars I've driven in AC. The squat and dive in VR is hilarious but I imagine spot on, and if ever there was a vehicle to explain to someone about weight transfer this is it! If you don't keep some weight on the nose it just won't turn at all, but it feels genuine, not through lack of grip but simply because if you put your foot down it practically lifts the nose off the floor!

Initially I thought the brakes felt a bit responsive, but then I realised if you're trying to do more than just scrub off a little speed, they really are absolutely useless, which again seemed pretty fair.

The front end lift at speed (even though I knew about it) was a bit of a surprise the first time I got to the bottom of the conrod straight, needless to say I didn't make the corner!

All in all I'm glad you've gone for realism even though it makes the mod challenging to drive, we all know these things were a bit of a messy handful, booting it in 2nd means a huge slide but booting it in 3rd means chronic understeer into a tree, it's great fun!

Quick status update.

Restarted pretty much from scratch. The old version looked great in the showroom, not so much in game. To fix this I've scaled the rust back and actually made it more symmetrical.

If you've seen the movie Tropic Thunder then you know to.....
gnMpbHw.jpg

This principal also applies to rusty car skins. You try to go for a realistic look, you end up with a mess in game. You kind of have to create a "rust livery" and it seems to come together more nicely (if that makes any sense).

Any way.... Have a look.

3uYqbQX.jpg

Still A LOT to do.
  • I haven't touched the wheels yet
  • I haven't decided on a colour yet. (I'll probably just release a bunch of colours).
  • Bumpers, front spoiler and other shiny bits need a good shitifying.
  • I haven't even looked at the interior files yet. I'm actually looking forward to that bit. So much wood to mess with. :roflmao:
In it's current state it still needs work, but looks pretty badass in game. :thumbsup:

Hah, it is necessary for the other bits I have updated the LOD A of one of them may or may not be greater than 250k tris. Though I am probably going to hold off on the Mach 1's unless there is serious issues with them as I expect less people race them compared to the 429 and 302. Not to mention the work for them is much greater as they have many extras that are quite heavy on tris as well.

I must say thanks to all of you who continue to enjoy my work, it always brings a smile seeing screenshots of the stangs running wild. I do apologize for my absence of late, I have been sitting on this tire update for months and coming back to work every once in a while when I had time and energy. But now I hope that this update will assure you that the horses of classic America have not been abandoned and I look forward to hearing feedback on the new update with LODs as this is completely new territory for me as well as taken quite a while to get around to. The new tires should also give plenty of new experiences on the tracks and country roads of @Phoenix77 while I continue to work behind the scenes on the projects I have in various states of completion.

For those of you wondering why the beta tag in the version: yes it is a beta version, I do not have the time or ability to spend my usual time testing myself and I have lost some of my testers due to family and other time commitments. I hope you understand and will be willing and able to give feedback on the changes.

To be honest, very low on my priorities, especially since all of my models started without doors that were supposed to swing out, and while driving the door *should* be closed :p I can add it to the update list though.

That's been like that since the first release :)

A small annoyance for the OCD dudes: The parent to 429r is missing. I tried to make the 302r the new parent via CM but it failed. Any ideas why cm failed to match the two cars?
Try simply restarting CM - I had that issue with this previous version and thought it was something wrong but for some reason it just seems to be a CM bug.

I'm not a good driver by any means but even though the handling characteristics are the same, the ffb feels weird. The wheel gets extremely light after about 90-120 degrees of turn in from the center and when you try to center it back, it tries to snap back to center after a certain degree.

As for LODs, i couldn't notice any pop ups or shader/coloring changes during replays in black cat county.

That just sounds like understeer to me, it has more of an effect due to the new tires that should simulate the belted bias ply tire. Also it is the only bias ply tires in the game, so it may feel weird.

That just sounds like understeer to me, it has more of an effect due to the new tires that should simulate the belted bias ply tire. Also it is the only bias ply tires in the game, so it may feel weird.
Oh that's the definitely the understeer. The "why" is clear. What's unclear/weird is that it's a "snap" motion. I mean it "snaps light" as soon as it reaches a certain degree. It's not gradual like other cars. And when i turn it back to center, when i reach a certain degree, it tries to snap back to center.

Okay, so the tires simulate belted bias ply tires. They are not radials by any stretch, but they are not as sloppy as full bias ply. So here is the depth as I understand it from my research in as layman as I can get so that everyone can understand (I am not saying you can't, but as a general PSA for everyone from all kinds of backgrounds). Bias ply tires tend to flex dramatically under heavy loads, like trying to throw a ton and a half of steel with a 600lbs engine over the front wheels into a corner at speed. This flex leads to a very heavy feeling until it becomes too much from either too much speed or too much input on the wheels, at which time the grip drops dramatically. A belted tire adds literal steel(or fiberglass in the polyglas tires represented here) belts into the tire to give it rigidity and help maintain shape better under heavy load(why it has been used on trucks for ages). This does little to nothing for the progressiveness of the traction loss. In fact it probably makes it worse. A radial on the other hand is more uniformly supported due to the construction so that when you start to scrub it holds grip longer and will have a very progressive feel to it.

It's not gradual like other cars

No there are no other cars in assetto that I know off where someone has taken the time to make bias ply tires, let alone belted bias ply. So it will not feel like other cars.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 7.1%