1970's Performance Mustangs

Cars 1970's Performance Mustangs 0.92

Login or Register an account to download this content
Okay, so the tires simulate belted bias ply tires. They are not radials by any stretch, but they are not as sloppy as full bias ply. So here is the depth as I understand it from my research in as layman as I can get so that everyone can understand (I am not saying you can't, but as a general PSA for everyone from all kinds of backgrounds). Bias ply tires tend to flex dramatically under heavy loads, like trying to throw a ton and a half of steel with a 600lbs engine over the front wheels into a corner at speed. This flex leads to a very heavy feeling until it becomes too much from either too much speed or too much input on the wheels, at which time the grip drops dramatically. A belted tire adds literal steel(or fiberglass in the polyglas tires represented here) belts into the tire to give it rigidity and help maintain shape better under heavy load(why it has been used on trucks for ages). This does little to nothing for the progressiveness of the traction loss. In fact it probably makes it worse. A radial on the other hand is more uniformly supported due to the construction so that when you start to scrub it holds grip longer and will have a very progressive feel to it.

No there are no other cars in assetto that I know off where someone has taken the time to make bias ply tires, let alone belted bias ply. So it will not feel like other cars.
This was actually a very clear and informative explanation. Thanks.

I'm glad I was able to make it understandable, I worried as the tires have been a trouble as the best information has been from old fashioned videos since as radials are standard now there is not much information on these old tire types. I own a car from that era, even have an old fashioned steel belted original tire for it, but no way would I run it on them as safety is paramount.

It is entirely up to you whether my liveries stay in there or not Joshua, IDM either way. I was just desperate for some Group 2 david vs goliath style action so threw some race liveries at the 429 which wasn't a million miles off the pace of the GTA.

I can't figure out how to turn the 302 decals/stripes off. I have them off in Photoshop and have a blank white alpha channel. I can only see them in the AO_Body_Boss file so can't figure out why it isn't working. I have my skin saved as AO_Body_Boss.dds in the Boss SE folder.

Edit: Figured it out.

Last edited:
great work on these...they're all a blast to drive. I have trouble with brake temps/fade on at least the boss 429...temps quickly get over 1000c, and don't much of a chance to cool...I can't imagine this is quite right?
20180822163712_1.jpg

I can't figure out how to turn the 302 decals/stripes off. I have them off in Photoshop and have a blank white alpha channel. I can only see them in the AO_Body_Boss file so can't figure out why it isn't working. I have my skin saved as AO_Body_Boss.dds in the Boss SE folder.

Edit: Figured it out.

Create a transparent file called decal.dds.
There's one in my Rustang folder if you want to use it.

I will get the tires fixed, as well as getting the hood scoop fix back in on the 429R, must have accidentally deleted it.

As an update and apologies for not getting the fix out last night, my real project car took up a bit more time than I thought so I was not able to get the update pushed, and I will be looking at getting the fixes from @CobraCat in there as well and any others that may pop up. The wee problem is I also injured my left hand fingers in a battle between two metal surfaces, so progress may be slow as it is hard to type with those fingers. I will strive to get an update out today, but I would say by weekend as safe bet as the real car also demands more attention than previously thought.

@Jeremy Chaim While I do not have a 429 to test on, we have a car that weighs 1.75 tons stopping in for the time impressive distances with small rotors and one piston brake calipers. After 3 hard brake runs like tested the rears should be fading, and after a couple laps on the track, yes the fronts will be fading as well. I can take a look at the cooling values, but most of the background on this comes more from word of mouth as data generally is not available for these values.

Wow, u should heal up first, take your time. :thumbsup:

Have you considered updating the Mustangs at some point in the future with modern radial tyres ? I wonder how better the handling would be and as well as what modern cars they could perhaps be more competitive with.

To be brutally honest I really don't, cause they are very, well uninspired(in my opinion) on modern radials(i started on modern radials btw during testing so that I could use modern day anecdotes), and if they are faster than the belted, which they are, people will only use them(again I know there will be other purists that will use the ol fashioned tires, but then you can't spar evenly out on the long roads with them). If there is enough people wanting modern radials it isn't hard to throw them on, so I don't know honestly.

If you did not modify and reupload the kn5 with it, fair from me, I am assuming you just unpacked it to get access to more of the textures to modify, I am alright with that as long as it is maintained in the skin folder and doesn't modify the actual kn5, downloading to take a look at em.

Yes it is exactly as you said. I don't have the skills to do anything else, I just added wheels and metal parts etc to the skin folders :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.