Tracks [WIP] New York Safety Track (NYST)

el_locho

El Locho
Shamelessly just copy & pasting this from my post in the "What Are You Working On?" thread.

New York Safety Track
A 2.1-mile, 18-turn, omni-directional racetrack ... on the site of the still-functional Mountain Top Airport between the cities of Harpersfield and Davenport in New York, approximately 50 miles west of Albany.

Having started the project in August of last year, the current version of the track is based on aerial LIDAR data from 2014, but I'm planning to re-do the relevant parts using the newer 2018 dataset that's been released just before Christmas.

My initial plan was to utilize TreeFX for the trees, but that didn't perform well on my system (5800x/RTX3080/Rift S) in VR which is why I'm using the good old 2d trees for now - which I would have implemented anyway because, apparently, there are still a lot of people out there that don't use CSP, for whatever reason.
1673806075296.jpeg
Another benefit of using 2d trees is that seasonal adjustments can be done easily - at least I haven't seen any documentation on how that can be achieved with TreeFX, yet - which is definitely a must for this track:
1673806017601.jpeg

I haven't decided yet on how to proceed with this track, i.e. whether I should release my current version as a beta for people to toy with and give feedback - or if I should keep it private until everything is polished and all (most) issues are ironed out. What I can say however, is, that I could definitely need a hand with photos (textures) and maybe some measurements from somebody who's famliar/close to the track that. There are still some shacks that I haven't modelled yet and the kiosk as well as both hangars could need some better textures, hence why the old hangar's front is still red...

A few in game shots
1673806024486.jpeg1673806027777.jpeg1673806031949.jpeg1673806049159.jpeg1673806059272.jpeg1673806311234.jpeg1673806334500.jpeg1673806363367.jpeg

Last edited:
I turned one of the murals on a building there into a clean image if you want to use it. I drew it to scale (overlayed on top of the original). If you could add me on Discord as I don’t check here often, but I’ve been on the track and it’s been a dream to have it in Assetto Corsa! I’d love to help anyway I can. I can send the photo there, it won’t send here as it says it’s too large. I redrew the art on this building.

Discord- Fame28#5923. (Make sure the F is upper case)

Attachments

• 1CBF5ECD-57FA-474C-AF38-7597980948F8.jpeg
    1CBF5ECD-57FA-474C-AF38-7597980948F8.jpeg
    939.2 KB · Views: 68
Is anybody familiar with the NYST's corner/section names? The turn numbers and turn/section names are supposed to go into the sections.ini file so that they can be displayed by the Track description app. I'm just not sure whether some of the names refer to individual turns or to multiple turns or to sections in between turns.

Pretty sure that Crazy One (T1), Wheelie Hill (T7) and The Trap (T7) refer to the actual turns, but what about the others?

Deer Hunt: T3 or the section between T3 and T4?
Sling shot: T5 or the complete T5/T6 complex?
Downwind: between T7 and T8?
Pipeline: T9-T10?
Evergreens: ?
Helicopter: ?
Crosswind: T16?

d208ff2d-3aa4-44f5-bd81-d449f63b3146-jpeg.1225046

Track looks great and really up to my valley.
Couple things i wanna criticize if i may - even with shadows under the trees, if you also bake AO under the foliage, that'll be much much more lively. And those spruce/fir trees imo need more variation, they look a bit cloned. Same with those yellow flowers/bushes, more variety would be great.
Another thing that would be great trick is few layers of treelines behind the trees, couple layers with more sparse trees with alpha gaps in between, with a bit of uv offset from layer to layer, and 2nd or 3rd layer is a proper treeline/wall, like you have now.

Last edited:
Thanks @KittX for taking the time to give feedback. You are absolutely right about the trees, they are my main focus right now. I spent most of the weekend placing and sizing the trees according to the point cloud data. The trees themselves are just placeholders, which I will gradually replace with the actual tree species, if I can find suitable textures for them. The tree walls that are (too) close to the track will also get updated.

I did download it and installed it but for some reason says "track not found".

Installed it through content manager but also just the regular old way. Tried to launch through CM but just through the game as well and both say track not found :(

Last edited:

Installed it through content manager but also just the regular old way. Tried to launch through CM but just through the game as well and both say track not found :(
yeah same here :'(

yeah same here :'(
I just downloaded the track from the YT link and did a fresh install via CM, both layouts load without any issues. I get a "track not found" error after uninstalling the custom shaders patch though... Which CSP versions do you guys use?

so yeah I went to the latest CSP and it launched fine. So I guess its only the recommended CSP that has problems launching it.

I am about to start work but going to try it out at lunch :)

I am about an hour from NYST, never been but going this summer.

Last edited:
I just downloaded the track from the YT link and did a fresh install via CM, both layouts load without any issues. I get a "track not found" error after uninstalling the custom shaders patch though... Which CSP versions do you guys use?
I will give it a try on a different csp update when I get home and let you know, man I'm so excited for this mod!

Last edited:
Just did a few laps and its great, you have done a great job. This is a pretty fun track, now making me psyched to go in I think is October.

Thanks for making it, seriously great job.

Also, maybe I missed it but are there braking zone numbers on the first turn? I just saw them on a video but not sure I remember seeing them
do you mean the red signs? they are still there, although their placement might not be 100% accurate. I haven't placed all the other signs around the track yet, e.g. the brake markers after T18.
1675444766541.png

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back