Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

You should try the garage detail trick in the config files. I'll send you link about it.
Apart from that.. Yeah rf2 is a bit sad haha. You can have 300 fps alone in the dry and then only 40 fps when being in a pack of cars in a shady spot and a few drops of rain.

In acc the differences are a lot smaller. You're just screwed 24/7 :roflmao:
No, for real, I love that you almost have the same performance in any scenario! Cpu performance is a general issue with it though...
Surprisingly, the fps stay pretty constant with the 3080, apart from the fps drops in Le Mans and der Nordschleife that I already mentioned. In Brands or Bathurst, or Spa, or in fact anywhere else, the fps stay as solid as a rock. And I keep on coming back to fF2, despite its failings, because of the physics, the FF, and the general feel of immersion, which I haven't found in any other sim.
At least I have a system now where I can be sure that when a sim has problems, it's because of their optimization, and not my computer. The only possible thing I could improve now would be a 10900 running at 5Ghz or maybe a bit quicker, but my i9 is already at 4.6Ghz, it will run at 5.0Ghz, but it gets hotter than I'm comfortable with.
I don't believe that 400Hz makes much of a difference anyway, at least not one I could see as I ran it at 5Ghz.
Anyway, as long as the sims don't even utilize multi-core effectively, the CPU will remain a bottleneck.
The trick with the garage detail would interest me, if you could send me the link, that's the first time I've heard of it.

Nordschleife in Iracing has exactly the same problem , large FPS drops going past the pits in VR , so could be related to the track.

Glad to hear RF2 seems to run well on the 3080 in VR as i have a 3080 and HP Reverb G2 due today.

I agree RF2 is the best sim for pure driving experience.

Last edited:
Nordschleife in Iracing has exactly the same problem , large FPS drops going past the pits in VR , so could be related to the track.

Glad to hear RF2 seems to run well on the 3080 in VR as i have a 3080 and HP Reverb G2 due today.

I agree it's the best sim for pure driving experience.
I'd be interested to hear how the HP Reverb runs in rF2. I'm running a Rift S at the moment, but as soon as they're available here, I'll be buying the Reverb G2. Without controllers, don't need them as I don't play anything where I need the controllers. Nearly €100 cheaper without controllers, what's not to like?

• Deleted member 197115

In reference to ACC performance

I'm one of the lucky ones who made it through the queueing system and recieved a 3080. Problem is, I'm now at position 1344 for a 3900X so the wait will continue for a while yet :roflmao:

Surprisingly, the fps stay pretty constant with the 3080, apart from the fps drops in Le Mans and der Nordschleife that I already mentioned. In Brands or Bathurst, or Spa, or in fact anywhere else, the fps stay as solid as a rock. And I keep on coming back to fF2, despite its failings, because of the physics, the FF, and the general feel of immersion, which I haven't found in any other sim.
At least I have a system now where I can be sure that when a sim has problems, it's because of their optimization, and not my computer. The only possible thing I could improve now would be a 10900 running at 5Ghz or maybe a bit quicker, but my i9 is already at 4.6Ghz, it will run at 5.0Ghz, but it gets hotter than I'm comfortable with.
I don't believe that 400Hz makes much of a difference anyway, at least not one I could see as I ran it at 5Ghz.
Anyway, as long as the sims don't even utilize multi-core effectively, the CPU will remain a bottleneck.
The trick with the garage detail would interest me, if you could send me the link, that's the first time I've heard of it.
Since this thread is completely derailed anyway, one more post about rF2 won't hurt I guess :whistling:

https://forum.simracing.club/index.php?threads/rfactor-2-game-optimization.3751/

"Lowering detail of cars in the garage:
In the player.json file, search for "Garage Detail". Default is 0.5, I set it to 0.01."

Also:
"Maximum number of headlights:
Search for "Max headlights" in the player.json file
Change to whatever you want, I personally have it at 50, which is plenty. Default is 256. "

"Higher resolution textures on opponent vehicles, while using lower polygon detail:
"Opponent Detail":1,
"Opponent Texture Override":3,
"

Since this thread is completely derailed anyway, one more post about rF2 won't hurt I guess :whistling:

https://forum.simracing.club/index.php?threads/rfactor-2-game-optimization.3751/

"Lowering detail of cars in the garage:
In the player.json file, search for "Garage Detail". Default is 0.5, I set it to 0.01."

Also:
"Maximum number of headlights:
Search for "Max headlights" in the player.json file
Change to whatever you want, I personally have it at 50, which is plenty. Default is 256. "

"Higher resolution textures on opponent vehicles, while using lower polygon detail:
"Opponent Detail":1,
"Opponent Texture Override":3,
"
Thanks for the good tips, and that you got back to me so quickly :thumbsdown: I'll get right on it as soon as I get home, in fact, I can imagine that I'll close the workshop an hour earlier today. ( I'm the boss, I've decided to give myself some time off :D ) If you're worried about derailing threads, you can always PM me.

Can't drop a performance hint in a thread and then not post the actual stuff in public too. If I'd be a random reader, I'd be mad about not getting the actual information haha :roflmao:
Stuff like this should be pinned on the Studio397 forum anyway. When a sim is so quirky, any tips to get it to run better should be openly available, from Studio397 themselves. Not everybody is lucky enough to be able to spend three grand on a computer that can actually run rF2 in VR decently.
I'm getting that itch again: would an i9 be faster than my i7 coffee lake? is the upgrade worth it?

Stuff like this should be pinned on the Studio397 forum anyway. When a sim is so quirky, any tips to get it to run better should be openly available, from Studio397 themselves. Not everybody is lucky enough to be able to spend three grand on a computer that can actually run rF2 in VR decently.
I'm getting that itch again: would an i9 be faster than my i7 coffee lake? is the upgrade worth it?
Damn, just seen that I'll be needing a new MB with a 1200 Socket for an i9 10700K. That's that then, the next €800, no,no no....

would an i9 be faster than my i7 coffee lake? is the upgrade worth it?
About 10-15%, yes. Worth it? Definitely NOT.

If you want an upgrade: Ryzen 5600x or 5800x would be the choice for single thread performance at the moment!
AMD beat Intel with the freshly released CPUs :cool:
Single thread R20 bench of my 10600k: ~500 points. 5 Ghz 8700k from a friend gets the same score.
AMD 5600x: ~600 points!

So the game is on! Just hold on to your current CPU until the Ryzen 6600x or 11600k/12600k. I guess Intel will want to get "the gaming crown" back with the next release or definitely the release after the next one (depending whether or not they'll be able to nail the 7nm CPUs)

About 10-15%, yes. Worth it? Definitely NOT.

If you want an upgrade: Ryzen 5600x or 5800x would be the choice for single thread performance at the moment!
AMD beat Intel with the freshly released CPUs :cool:
Single thread R20 bench of my 10600k: ~500 points. 5 Ghz 8700k from a friend gets the same score.
AMD 5600x: ~600 points!

So the game is on! Just hold on to your current CPU until the Ryzen 6600x or 11600k/12600k. I guess Intel will want to get "the gaming crown" back with the next release or definitely the release after the next one (depending whether or not they'll be able to nail the 7nm CPUs)
And I'll need an new MB too, it never ends, does it ? Be cheaper buying coke :D

And I'll need an new MB too, it never ends, does it ? Be cheaper buying coke :D
AMD MB's are known to be multi generation compatible. You might lose some new fancy auto OC features but they will run.
They went from x370/x470/x570 with Ryzen 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, 5xxx. I don't know if x670 will come out for the latest Ryzen 5xxx...

Anyway, this is the last gen on the current socket as far as I know so if you're able to wait another year, it's very likely that you should be good for another 3 generations when buying an x770 motherboard and Ryzen 6600x.
It's probably gonna be DDR5 too so hey, at least you'll be able to sell or gift the full mobo+ram+cpu combo you currently have :roflmao:

I picked up a 3080 a few days ago. Paid $200 over MSRP but I was tiring of spending weeks trying to get one (Founder edition first, if not some other models). Worth it for me and love the card.

Replaced my 2070 super and went into my build that I updated a few months ago. 7700k to 10700k, Z270 mobo to Z490 and ddr4-2400 to 3200

Attachments

• DSC_8834.jpg
    DSC_8834.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • DSC_8844.jpg
    DSC_8844.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • DSC_8839.jpg
    DSC_8839.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • DSC_8850.jpg
    DSC_8850.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I've heard the AMD 5950X is the new gaming king for CPU's. Is this true? 16 core / 32 thread. I think it's got a lower clock but has higher IPC so wins even in single threaded tests?

5950X is around £700? Not sure you can even get one yet. Just come out?

You can't keep up with this sh**. Just build a new PC when your old one is really tanking.

I waited ten years (2x GPU during that time) then splurged on new MB, CPU and RAM a year ago. I waited until now to get latest GPU.

I'm hoping that's me now for quite a few years.

As the years go by there's a steady decline in performance compared with the latest models. Hang on, there's an analogy there somewhere :(

Last edited:
You can't keep up with this sh**. Just build a new PC when your old one is really tanking.
Ya, most people don't really get to buy a PC when it's the best time to buy a PC. I bought my i7 8086 just before the i9s were coming out, but I needed a PC immediately, waiting wasn't really an option.

I've heard the AMD 5950X is the new gaming king for CPU's. Is this true? 16 core / 32 thread. I think it's got a lower clock but has higher IPC so wins even in single threaded tests?

5950X is around £700? Not sure you can even get one yet. Just come out?

Yeah, seems to be for now. For those not looking for the ultimate performance, the 5600X nearly matches it in most games at a much lower cost. If you are going to be needing more threads, the 5950X is obviously the way to go. However, if only gaming, a 5600X gets you close to the same performance by what I have seen.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 93 71.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 36 27.5%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 25 19.1%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 25 19.1%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 28 21.4%