Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

I am using a triple 1440p system. I drive it with an RTX 2070. There is a good chance I will be getting a 3080 or 3080 Ti to improve refresh rates.

I have never ordered a video card when they are first released. Where is a good place to pre-order?

Been running my 1080Ti for 37 months so i think when 3080Ti comes i will probably get another Galax model ;) I run at 5760x1080 and need more frames over higher resolution !

Where is a good place to pre-order?

As a general rule, I’d never pre-order a video card. Although, hopefully, it shouldn’t be the case this time, in the past cards have appeared which were less impressive than the hype or not sufficiently better to justify the extra money. Much better to wait for the reviews before buying. Also, new cards tend to need optimising with a few driver updates before they reach their full potential.

A High-end graphic cards is an item you don't want to pre-order without seeing all the benchmarks.

Also in the past only a couple of months after the initial release, there were a lot of 3rd party cards with better coolers and higher clock speeds.

This is totally different from ordering something like a Samsung G9 monitor or a HP Reverb G2.

There are going to be a lot of different variants of the same chip and the best thing it to be patient.

Of-course it's easier to be patient with a 2080Ti than with a 970 :D

It might indeed turn out to be a very bad decision but I sold my GTX1080Ti Duke earlier today.
Somebody got a 'stonking' deal at $414.00.
That'll seriously curtailing my simracing until either the new Nvidia or AMD cards are released.
Will save the additional amount and buy on Black Friday if good sales exist.
I won't be spending ridiculous sums on either.
Which ever serves up the best value versus performance, that is the one I will go with.

A High-end graphic cards is an item you don't want to pre-order without seeing all the benchmarks.

Also in the past only a couple of months after the initial release, there were a lot of 3rd party cards with better coolers and higher clock speeds.

This is totally different from ordering something like a Samsung G9 monitor or a HP Reverb G2.

There are going to be a lot of different variants of the same chip and the best thing it to be patient.

Of-course it's easier to be patient with a 2080Ti than with a 970 :D
Which 2080Ti did you buy and why did you select that model? Was the model you bought available at launch?

I bought a Asus GeForce RTX2080Ti Rog Strix OC a couple of months after the release from Asus and boy did it cost me a packet $2099.00 (AUD) and when the RTX3080Ti comes out maybe next year for us Down Under in Australia I would expect it to be over the top in Price and I may need a bank loan to buy one. At this stage I will wait for the reviews and pricing to come out so to compare to what I have now before I make a decision.

I am hopeful that this time there will be some movement in price/performance and some progress will be made. All the 2000 series did compared to the 1000 series was introduce another higher tiered product in the 2080 ti and bring some new features (RTX, DLSS) which at the time of sale did basically nothing. Price wise it was a terrible deal for an upgrade. I seriously hope after 4 years or so Nvidia can finally make some progress and bring more performance at similar price points so that I can finally upgrade my 1080 ti. I am definitely waiting for reviews and hoping they achieve something worthwhile.

The 3080Ti should be LOT of good things and will "probably" not be the huge 3 card width monster the 2080Ti was, and may actually use less power while being much faster.

However, it will be produced using 7nm which is very recent. the 2080Ti's 12nm process had yield problems in the beginning and they also had numerous card failures in the beginning.

If you do order early, make sure to go with a company like EVGA that will stand behind their product.

Also there tends to be an initial rollout with many manufacturers creating close to Nvidia factory boards in terms of performance and then following them up with faster versions a few months later.

Some initial direct from Nvidia boards have had cooling issues limiting their performance.

The 3080Ti should be LOT of good things and will "probably" not be the huge 3 card width monster the 2080Ti was, and may actually use less power while being much faster.

However, it will be produced using 7nm which is very recent. the 2080Ti's 12nm process had yield problems in the beginning and they also had numerous card failures in the beginning.

If you do order early, make sure to go with a company like EVGA that will stand behind their product.

Also there tends to be an initial rollout with many manufacturers creating close to Nvidia factory boards in terms of performance and then following them up with faster versions a few months later.

Some initial direct from Nvidia boards have had cooling issues limiting their performance.
Thanks for the advice. The RTX 2070 I bought is the Nvidia reference design. Seems to work well. I am leaning toward buying when the card is released and getting from a company like EVGA. I have owned their cards in the past and was happy.

Let me be clear...I've never spent more than $450 on any graphics card.
$500 is my absolute limit.
That's not about to change anytime soon.
I am never an early adopter and I always get the card I want eventually.

Interesting clarification:) I have paid around €800 for my 1080ti when it was quite new. 2080 cards are still well above 1000.
I would not expect any 2080ti or even the new generation to sell at or below 500 any time soon. Not even on Black Friday. I'll have an eye on the 3xxx generation once there are several 3rd party cards out. Don't expect my purchase before end of 2021, though.

• Deleted member 197115

Let me be clear...I've never spent more than $450 on any graphics card.
$500 is my absolute limit.
That's not about to change anytime soon.
I am never an early adopter and I always get the card I want eventually.
Good advise, all you need is just to pause your biological clock, 10 years from now these things will be dirt cheap, guaranteed.

Pay attention...
I just sold my GTX1080Ti Duke Edition as stated in my first post.
As I've already said....I get the cards I want...when I want them...and at the time I want them...for the price I want them.
You can't speak to my situation, so don't try.

Currently running a 1080ti. I skipped the 20 series (didn't feel they offered a big enough performance jump) with the intention of scooping up a 3080ti. Money already saved up and put aside. Really looking forward to the bump in VR performance.

Not so sure about that one. There are even rumors that these cards could require an entire new type of 12-pin PCI-E power connector. These speculated beyond 300W TDP numbers do sound huge considering that RTX 2080 Ti has a 250W TDP.

Not so sure about that one. There are even rumors that these cards could require an entire new type of 12-pin PCI-E power connector. These speculated beyond 300W TDP numbers do sound huge considering that RTX 2080 Ti has a 250W TDP.

You may be right about the power draw.

Current Rumors/Leads
Name: RTX 3080Ti or RTX 3090,
TDP: 300W-320W
Process 7nm or 10nm
Speed 40% faster than 2080Ti
12 pin connectors
PCIe 4.0 support

Still waiting to hear more about Displayport 2.0, unless they really have a solid USB-C VR plug rather than a vestigial plug no one is using.

I guess we should find out by the end of August.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.