Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

What I've "heard" is that they are using 3090 chips that had a certain range of failed processing units that they can map around. So lets say you have a chunk of the 3090's that are not up to snuff, but you designed the firmware in such a way that you can just bypass the bad cores. They've done this before.

So they put these marginal 3090's aside until they build up a reasonable supply of them and then they map around the bad processing units and put them in a card with less memory and make some profit off of them.

Other than branding the new cards, printing 3080TI on the chip covers and setting up a separate assembly line for the memory they are getting, they are out nothing and it costs them no additional production capacity.

Last edited:
What I've "heard" is that they are using 3090 chips that had a certain range of failed processing units that they can map around. So lets say you have a chunk of the 3090's that are not up to snuff, but you designed the firmware in such a way that you can just bypass the bad cores. They've done this before.

So they put these marginal 3090's aside until they build up a reasonable supply of them and then they map around the bad processing units and put them in a card with less memory and make some profit off of them.

Other than branding the new cards, printing 3080TI on the chip covers and setting up a separate assembly line for the memory they are getting, they are out nothing and it costs them no additional production capacity.

This is normal for graphics card manufacture, but usually it won’t be as powerful a chip with alternate memory configs(as per the 80ti) unless there’s a memory shortage and they can get away with putting less memory on a card. In this case it’s the actual dies that are in short supply so it’s a bit baffling.

I placed my name on the EVGA wait list and actually think I have gone backwards from when I put my name on the list (10/6). Not looking good for 2021. Looks like the only way to get a card in the USA within the next 6 months is to:

• Pay $300+ over list
  • Utilize fancy web shopping tools
  • Camp out at a store on inventory day
  • Buy a pre-built PC
Anyone have any new ideas?

Have a romantic liaison with the CEO of EVGA. ;)

Isn't that how all the 3o80s and 3o90s are made though. They aim for a 3090 and the stuff that doesn't make it gets turned into one of the lower chips.

I gave up on a 3080 for now and bought a pre-built with a 3070 at a reasonable price. I was due for some other upgrades anyway. I'm satisfied with it for now. Much better for VR than the 1080 it replaced. I'll probably upgrade when the 3080s are available but it will get me by until then.

I gave up on a 3080 for now and bought a pre-built with a 3070 at a reasonable price. I was due for some other upgrades anyway. I'm satisfied with it for now. Much better for VR than the 1080 it replaced. I'll probably upgrade when the 3080s are available but it will get me by until then.

This is what I might end up doing as well. Buying a pre-built PC with either 3060ti or 3070, then move it all over to the case I have ready to build in, and then swap the GPU when (if?) there will be some 3080 stock.

This is what I might end up doing as well. Buying a pre-built PC with either 3060ti or 3070, then move it all over to the case I have ready to build in, and then swap the GPU when (if?) there will be some 3080 stock.
My RTX 2070 provides just enough performance on my triple 1440p setup to discourage doing anything other than patiently waiting for list price GPU upgrades.

My RTX 2070 provides just enough performance on my triple 1440p setup to discourage doing anything other than patiently waiting for list price GPU upgrades.

My 980Sli is struggling. On the whole my whole PC is showing signs of age, USB's are not working perfectly anymore, sometimes it won't boot properly etc. As long as it lasts until RDRC is finished it will be fine :)

Going to a local computer shop is how I got my RTX 3080 at MSRP. And my 3070 I got for USD $700, sold for $1100 in a bidding war here in Japan. (I didn't set a scalping price, just freely listed it and let people decide on their own what it's worth). So basically my 3080 was $700.
My memory junction was hitting 110C and causing it to thermally throttle though, so I took it apart, added thermal pads between the memory area and the backplate, put it back together and temps were better but still not a place I'm happy (95-100 at load). So I took it apart again and took a serious look at the stock thermal paste and thermal pads and they were... Terrible.

Gigabyte's stock thermal pads feel like they're made out of old lard or something. They're very mushy and break apart and are covered in oil. I cleaned off the PCB with isopropyl alcohol and replaced the awful thermal pads with some Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8's, applied Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, put it back together and now I barely hit 55C on GPU at load, 84C on memory junction and no thermal throttling at all.

Seeing all this terrible news, I'll probably go to the shop again and take my chances on a 3090. 5600X + 3090 should last a while... Right?

My buddy mined ethereum from early January to now on his 3080 while sleeping/working, made about $250 a month. He said he's already gotten back almost $750. Maybe that's the answer to dealing with these high prices. Card is supposed to be $700. You have to pay $1000 for it. So make back the difference I guess?

Alienware has some nice but pricey systems with the 30 series if you want to go the prebuilt road.

I recommend keeping an eye on CyberpowerPC if you're in the US.
This one is solid, but it won't ship until June. If you're okay waiting, it's a good way to get a 3080 for pretty close to MSRP. And it includes actual usable parts. The Alienware uses an OEM blower style 3080 and probably some proprietary motherboard/PSU.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1NM8W8

Dell seems to have a cheaper 3080 in the UK though. Plus it includes a 5600X. It's a tough choice for sure.

Last edited:
Going to a local computer shop is how I got my RTX 3080 at MSRP. And my 3070 I got for USD $700, sold for $1100 in a bidding war here in Japan. (I didn't set a scalping price, just freely listed it and let people decide on their own what it's worth). So basically my 3080 was $700.
My memory junction was hitting 110C and causing it to thermally throttle though, so I took it apart, added thermal pads between the memory area and the backplate, put it back together and temps were better but still not a place I'm happy (95-100 at load). So I took it apart again and took a serious look at the stock thermal paste and thermal pads and they were... Terrible.

Gigabyte's stock thermal pads feel like they're made out of old lard or something. They're very mushy and break apart and are covered in oil. I cleaned off the PCB with isopropyl alcohol and replaced the awful thermal pads with some Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8's, applied Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, put it back together and now I barely hit 55C on GPU at load, 84C on memory junction and no thermal throttling at all.

Seeing all this terrible news, I'll probably go to the shop again and take my chances on a 3090. 5600X + 3090 should last a while... Right?

My buddy mined ethereum from early January to now on his 3080 while sleeping/working, made about $250 a month. He said he's already gotten back almost $750. Maybe that's the answer to dealing with these high prices. Card is supposed to be $700. You have to pay $1000 for it. So make back the difference I guess?

This one is solid, but it won't ship until June. If you're okay waiting, it's a good way to get a 3080 for pretty close to MSRP. And it includes actual usable parts. The Alienware uses an OEM blower style 3080 and probably some proprietary motherboard/PSU.

Dell seems to have a cheaper 3080 in the UK though. Plus it includes a 5600X. It's a tough choice for sure.
So you just walked into your local computer shop and they had a RTX 3080?

Probably another cost hike coming...even though the product isn't yet released.
I can just imagine a meeting taking place in Nvidia headquarters last month. "Lets buy a ship and put all the cards for the west on it, then we don't have to rely on shipping companies". "great idea boss, what could possibly go wrong?"

Wouldn't it be great if SLI had been kept to be a viable alternative?

Some people could just couple up the older cards, bringing some relief to the market.

Alienware has some nice but pricey systems with the 30 series if you want to go the prebuilt road.
So you just walked into your local computer shop and they had a RTX 3080?
yep.
It’s called Tsukumo in Japan. They restock on Thursdays and I just went in randomly. They had a whole glass case full of 6800 and 6800 XT’s, two 3080’s, a 3090 and some 3070’s.
similar to Microcenter.

You can also have the Dell with the new intel 11700fk and 11900fk

Wouldn't it be great if SLI had been kept to be a viable alternative?

Some people could just couple up the older cards, bringing some relief to the market.

Which is likely why they (Nvidia and AMD) do keep the supply low.

I have no doubt the is a shortage of chips.
But what was the excuse with the RtX 20XX series?

If they release more Gpu's the price will drop which would be bad business for both NVIDIA and the 3th party suppliers.

• Deleted member 197115

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back