Why Porsche is Awesome: Meet the F1 Killer LMP1 919 'Evo'

That the closed cockpits and wheels are producing more downforce is just wrong. Everything on top of this car is drag reduction and is used for a calm airflow to the rear wing/diffusor. Pretty much all the downforce comes from the floor.
Closed cockpit and wheels are definitely way better for the drag but have nothing to do with downforce.
And my comment had nothing to do with downforce or drag, was simply about speed perception on cameras compared to open wheel cars that can even go faster than them.

And my comment had nothing to do with downforce or drag, was simply about speed perception on cameras compared to open wheel cars that can even go faster than them.
yeah well but you used downforce and drag in connection with closed wheels and cockpits. Just wanted to make clear that that has nothing to do with the downforce of the car.

A car with no restrictions beats the time of a 2017 car with Formula 1 regulation restrictions.

The 2018 F1 cars will go faster than the Evo around Spa.
Yes, you're right. It's not fare

Take a 2018 F1 - L. Hamilton (+ some party mode switch ?*¡) and remove DRS restriction, remove ERS restrictions, set a factory new engine on his W09 car and enjoy...

F1(17')=>919EVO======>Prepared F1

of course F1 cars could be faster without restriction, but this Porsche is very very impressive. To go 12 seconds faster than the same car tied down by the WEC rule book, thats crazy.

It will be interesting to see how it fairs in the summer. The car did this in 11C air temps, 13C track temps. It would be a 1-2s slower in a typical 22-26C day.

Also the car topped out at 359 kph.

Driver said:
"“The 919 Evo is brutally impressive. It is definitely the fastest car I ever drove. The grip level is at a fully new dimension for me, I couldn’t imagine this amount beforehand."

Grip..........grip grip.....
sorry, the more people see this from real drivers the more chance we have of people understanding grip isn't arcade....and the more chance we have of devs not being brow beaten into making cars slip everywhere to please people with no understanding of racing cars...

cheers.

....F1 the pinnacle of drivers my ass...

The fact that it's a V4 still boggles my mind..

Do we know why Porsche left WEC? I'm sure they cited something along the lines of no longer aligns with brand values, or nothing left to accomplish.. But, besides the PR stuff, do we know the real reason why? Money?

Its pure marketing. No regulations were in place for that car. I thinkl the 2018 F1 cars will be faster because of the softer tyres compared to 2017 though.
Nevertheless: It is mighty impressive. Pretty cool. Would be nice to see a racing series like that with basically open regulations beside a Horsepower limit for example.

Well .. won't happen at this level of racing i guess.

Idk why but this kind of car make it look like they are faster than open wheels that can go faster than them (ALMS P1 gave the same feeling to me compared to Indycars on same tracks, even when there was no GT close)
Wouldn't complain if F1 went that route instead
A new complain would arise, that Porsche just wins everything and makes the rest look like another class of cars.

The fact that it's a V4 still boggles my mind..

Do we know why Porsche left WEC? I'm sure they cited something along the lines of no longer aligns with brand values, or nothing left to accomplish.. But, besides the PR stuff, do we know the real reason why? Money?
Just nothing more to prove, winning everything for another year is a waist of money for a brand that already has a great ontrack reputation.

Racing has structure and rules (although many times they get broken) because if not a team could use better tyres or have more power and it would render the whole thing pointless (Think 2013 Merc dominance)....

They put these rules in place even more so now to keep the racing close.
Many series use restrictors or the archaic use of balast etc. You can bork a racing car very easily, we race in Mazda MX cup in UK and simply over filling your fuel for a race can be the difference between top 8 or bottom 8 (over 30 drivers)...

This isn't new what Porsche have done here, many racing cars are capped for the races due to regulations and not only that it might be good for a few hot laps but would not last an endurance in that set up........see F1 for this...

If people really only care about the fastest car in a straight line, i hear drag racing is great (not)...

At the end of the day, it weighs more, has less downforce, and still beat the Mercedes by 0.7 seconds. F1 has been dethroned as the fastest track car.... At least at Spa.
Once again, no it didn't. The f1 is still the fastest car. The only reason it went slower is because of the drs zones. Give an f1 the possibility of using the drs everywhere and it will dominate once again. Then remove all the f1 regulations and it will be even faster.

Be honest...

Who here fired up Spa-Francorchamps and the Porsche 919 after reading this article. I only have 16 km & 18 km on my two 919's and I still got pumped to do a few laps around Spa. :D
/me waits for the dorks who say "It's not the same car! Hurr Durr!!

A car with no restrictions beats the time of a 2017 car with Formula 1 regulation restrictions.

The 2018 F1 cars will go faster than the Evo around Spa.
Could be possible of course. Depends on weathet conditions as well. But according on f1's performance this year, it surely is possible to go few tenths faster.

Why are people talking about DRS? WEC cars don't have DRS do they? And I can't see anything about Porsche adding it to this car. Or do you means KERS?

And I wouldn't say it's a car with NO restrictions, it's still based on the car that had regulations on engine size, and size of the car etc etc. I think F1 has far fewer restrictions than WEC does, so even though an unrestricted Merc F1 would go faster (no doubt), it would still have to be the base of the Merc F1. It's not like Porsche fitted the car with a jet engine is it?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

Votes: 114 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,069 90.4%
Back