Why Porsche is Awesome: Meet the F1 Killer LMP1 919 'Evo'

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Porsche 919 Evo 1.jpg

Porsche have left the World Endurance Championship and to say goodbye, they have built something pretty mental (oh and its faster than an F1 car at Spa...).

Most people who know motorsport know Porsche are a cool brand, with racing in the very DNA of the organisation, however that didn't prevent the German's from walking away from the World Endurance Championship at the end of 2017, putting an end to a very successful stay in the top level of long distance endurance racing after four years and three drivers World Championships.

With the withdrawal from WEC competition many expected that would be the last we see of the beautiful and successful 919 Hybrid machine, however Porsche had different ideas, and decided to go build something pretty insane. Why? Because they can...

Basically with the WEC Porsche Hybrid participation now at a close, the Germans decided that with such a lovely car about to head straight into a museum, it might be fun to a have a play with what is possible to see how fast they can make it, once the restrictions for racing in WEC competition have been removed. Born from madness and delivering something awesome, Porsche came back to the track again today with a car they call the 919 Evo, employing Neel Jani to take to the Spa Francorchamps circuit in a bid to go faster than an LMP 1 car has ever gone before. Unsurprisingly Jani did just that, lapping the legendary Belgian circuit in an incredible new lap record time of 1.41.770 seconds, 0.783 faster than the previous lap record of Lewis Hamilton from the 2017 Belgian Grand Prix weekend!

With such an incredible track debut of the new car, the first of several scheduled during the 2018 season as Porsche embark on a year long "farewell tour", Team Principal Andreas Seidl announced himself delighted with the success of the latest project:

This additional success is the result of the LMP team’s hard work and a proud day for the engineers. One can only congratulate Neel and the entire crew for achieving it. All six 2017 LMP1 drivers contributed to the project. It was our target to show the Porsche 919 Hybrid’s abilities when we ease the restrictions that came from the World Endurance Championship regulations.”
Topping out at 245.61 kph during his record run this morning, Jani admitted the 919 Evo is the most impressive racing car the 34-year-old Swiss has driven during his career, including many Porsches during what has been a very successful period with the German marque in GT and endurance racing:

“The 919 Evo is brutally impressive. It is definitely the fastest car I ever drove. The grip level is at a fully new dimension for me, I couldn’t imagine this amount beforehand. The speed on which everything happens on a single lap with the 919 Evo is that fast that the demand on reaction speed is very different to what I was used to in the WEC. We are not only faster than the F1 pole from 2017. Today’s lap was twelve seconds faster compared to our WEC pole position from last year! We have had three very intense days at Spa. Today I knew on the very first lap in the morning that the car’s performance was super. The race engineers did a great job setting up the car and the Michelin tyres are sensational. A big thank you to Porsche for this experience.”
Porsche will continue the farewell tour with appearances at the Nordschleife before the start of the 24-Hours Nürburgring race on May 12. Drives at the Goodwood Festival of Speed (July 12 to 15) and the Festival of Porsche in Brands Hatch (September 2) will follow as well as the car’s participation at the Porsche Rennsport Reunion in Laguna Seca, California (September 26 to 29).

Who said motorsport wasn't awesome?

You can check the video here.

Porsche 919 Evo 2.jpg

So, what exactly have Porsche done to the already lightening fast 919 Hybrid? Well this:

Monocoque
Composite material structure consisting of carbon fibre with an aluminium honeycomb core. The cockpit is closed.

Combustion engine
V4 engine (90 degree cylinder bank angle), turbocharged, 4 valves per cylinder, DOHC, 1 Garrett turbocharger, direct petrol injection, fully load-bearing aluminium cylinder crankcase, dry sump lubrication
Max. engine speed: ≈ 9,000/min

Engine management
Bosch MS5

Displacement
2,000 cm3 (V4 engine)

Output
Combustion engine: 720 PS, rear axle (< 500 PS)
MGU: 440 PS, front axle (> 400 PS)

Hybrid system
KERS with a motor generator unit (MGU) mounted on the front axle; ERS for recuperation of energy from exhaust gases. Energy storage in a liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery with cells from A123 Systems

Drive system
Rear wheel drive, traction control (ASR), temporary all-wheel drive at the front axle via the electric motor when boosted, hydraulically operated sequential 7-speed racing gearbox

Chassis
Independent front and rear wheel suspension, push-rod layout with adjustable dampers and Pitch Link System with actively controlled lockout system (no actively controlled lockout system in the 919 WEC version)

Brake system
4-wheel brake-by-wire system (front-rear brake-by-wire system), monoblock light alloy brake calipers, ventilated carbon fibre brake discs front and rear.
Variable control of wheel torques to optimize the car balance (variable control of torque distribution front to rear)

Wheels and tyres
Forged magnesium wheel rims from BBS; Michelin Radial tyres, front and rear: 310/710-18

Weight: 849 kg (888 kg including driver ballast)
Length: 5,078 mm (4,650 mm)
Width: 1,900 mm
Height: 1,050 mm
Fuel tank capacity: 62.3 litres

For more news from the motorsport world be sure to check out the Motorsport Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment - Join in the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Impressed with the 919 Evo? Do you like what Porsche are trying to achieve with this farewell tour? Impressed with the performance of the enhanced "new" car? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk why but this kind of car make it look like they are faster than open wheels that can go faster than them (ALMS P1 gave the same feeling to me compared to Indycars on same tracks, even when there was no GT close)
Wouldn't complain if F1 went that route instead

Since about 19 and 56 I NEVER missed an Indy 500, or hardly any other race on TV. Then about 25 years ago the modern NASCAR, F1 and Indy, absolutely KILLED everything I ever felt about racing ... .

I love this car and have from first look, this and the new Ford GT. They both rekindled a spark I thought was long dead. Now I find myself trying to find MORE RACIN' on TV.

I do hope to see Porsche back in LMP 1 ... and maybe Ford and Chevy too!

I wonder are there headlights meant to be behind the covers? If so, it would remind the 512BB LM so much, if they're opened or most likely installed for a certain case.
First modern Porsche I want a diecast of.
No it doesn't. The porsche was using DRS in every single straight, even the little ones between each turn.
The Can-Am cars used it a lot too :p

Last edited:
Seems I have missed the point about DRS yesterday, while typing that post :)
Yup, and theres big chance that '18 F1 cars would outlap this thing even within the F1 rules with limited DRS zones.

Last edited:
Where do they store the big balls? :D

It's pretty sick what they've done there, kudos. Now do the unbelievable: go faster than 6:11 minutes (no doubt the car has the pace, but I do not think the bosses will give their Okay for some laps heads down, full throttle)

I think this is fantastic to see since I really enjoy cars pushing crazy limits, or in this case, pushing for speed with no limits at all. Porsche has definitely earned some respect from me.

No it doesn't. The porsche was using DRS in every single straight, even the little ones between each turn.
Well that is kind of cheating then, I do not think these records stand as official anyways, I am sure they need to be under racing conditions to count as official track times :)

Closed cockpits and covered wheels create more downforce and less drag.
That the closed cockpits and wheels are producing more downforce is just wrong. Everything on top of this car is drag reduction and is used for a calm airflow to the rear wing/diffusor. Pretty much all the downforce comes from the floor.
Closed cockpit and wheels are definitely way better for the drag but have nothing to do with downforce.

Last edited:
A car with no restrictions beats the time of a 2017 car with Formula 1 regulation restrictions.

The 2018 F1 cars will go faster than the Evo around Spa.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.4%