Why Porsche is Awesome: Meet the F1 Killer LMP1 919 'Evo'

Read your own comment <snip>...not gonna say anything else about
my comment
Idk why but this kind of car make it look like they are faster than open wheels that can go faster than them (ALMS P1 gave the same feeling to me compared to Indycars on same tracks, even when there was no GT close)
Wouldn't complain if F1 went that route instead
Not talking about downforce or drag, just looks. Maybe you are confusing with the actual poster that talked about those things, which was this guy
Closed cockpits and covered wheels create more downforce and less drag.
No need to be so rude mate. But I get it not all of us get good education/manners, you are forgiven although I got to report for breaking ToS. Have a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont even need to allow F1 to use DRS everywhere, just remove the fuel limit and watch the track melt. Toyota was 5 second faster by just ignoring the fuel regs at Paul Ricard, imagine F1

F1 is still the pinnacle I suppose but the LMP-H cars in my view are still the most incredible race cars in recent history.
Agree totally, still the fact the can cover the whole distance in one race that f1's cover in a one season and still keep working(except for toyota) just is mind-boggling for me.

Once again, no it didn't. The f1 is still the fastest car. The only reason it went slower is because of the drs zones. Give an f1 the possibility of using the drs everywhere and it will dominate once again. Then remove all the f1 regulations and it will be even faster.

I'm not sure I follow that line of reasoning.

You can look at it as "919 has active, automatic aero". The same way that is has active, automatic suspension.

The reason why it is faster than F1 is that it is allowed to use computer-controlled chassis features. Not because what buttons the drivers is allowed to press when.

While this is cool, unregulated F1 cars would be lapping at least 5-6 seconds faster than this, so I don't know as it qualifies as an "F1 Killer". Still though, really cool to see what LMP could be if they'd just get their rules straight.

You can look at it as "919 has active, automatic aero". The same way that is has active, automatic suspension.

The reason why it is faster than F1 is that it is allowed to use computer-controlled chassis features. Not because what buttons the drivers is allowed to press when.
My point was simply that the f1 is still the fastest car but because of the competition it races in, it never had the chance to go at 100%. The drs from an f1 is still part of the car, no matter when you activate it. The circumstances made that porsche go faster than an f1, but it is not faster than an f1 in general. It's like saying that an f1 driven by me is slow because i go slower than a pro driver in a fiat panda...

Yeh but still 2018 cars should be faster than 919 evo.

I hope this inspires a team like Ferrari or Mercedes to release the unrestricted potential of an F1 car.

Take a 2018 spec car back to Spa next spring. Unrestrict the fuel flow limits, DRS everywhere, hypersoft tires, and some side skirts. That alone will make the car several seconds faster.

No it doesn't. The porsche was using DRS in every single straight, even the little ones between each turn.
Plus from what I can make out it wasn't built to motorsport rules but just to see how fast it could go. Do the same with an f1 car and it would be faster again. It is not comparing apples with apples.
Plus we will probably see a record pole time again in F1 there this year which may beat this regardless.

whoop whoop

F1 last year broke 10 lap records .....in real races with real race cars

For a Lap Record to stand, it must be posted during the race, not in practice or qualifying and certainly not a "track day"

whoop whoop

F1 last year broke 10 lap records .....in real races with real race cars

For a Lap Record to stand, it must be posted during the race, not in practice or qualifying and certainly not a "track day"
Not strictly true, an outright lap record can be outside of motorsport governing body rulesets, however what this car did was not a WEC lap record, and indeed an unrestricted F1 car would go even faster and set the outright lap record, but that wouldn't be an F1 lap record even though it was an F1 car. Also the 919 evo was not DRASTICALLY altered. It was "unleashed".

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 131 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.2%