Why Porsche is Awesome: Meet the F1 Killer LMP1 919 'Evo'

I always remember what Mark Donahue said “If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower”

That car produces 1160bhp, imagine if Mercedes AMG F1 took their W09 and turned it into an Evolution version purpose built for taking down this car we all know Ferrari wouldnt dare do that to the SF71H, my list of requirements for that are

• No FIA limiters on the engine
    • No Fuel Restrictions
    • Increased Battery performance from 160bhp to over 300bhp
  • Second turbocharger 1 per bank
    • Possible total boost of 5 Bar, I think they run like 3.2 Bar now
    • Also full titanium built engine
  • Remapped ECU
    • I would expect at least 2000bhp to be cracked here
  • Fairings on the tyre side front and rear and infront of the rear wheels to reduce drag
    • Something like Formula E at the front and at the rear that has to be Indycar there
    • Also full bubble enclosure for the driver
  • Tweaked front and rear wings
  • Set it up for crazy levels of downforce so that car will stay glued to the track
  • Thinner bodywork
    • For weight reduction
  • Ultra Hypersoft Tyres from Pirelli
    • Just for glorious amounts of grip in the bends....
  • Skirts and a Fan, (who remembers the BT46B Fan car!)
    • Just to make darn sure that car stays stuck to the track....
  • Also a G-Suit from a fighter jet for the driver
    • I would expect 9.5G is possible with this modification to turn the fastest car into the Porsche 919 Evo killer...
If thats all done I would expect that car to be kicking out somewhere around 2000bhp and weight probably around 500 to 600kg incl driver, it would be sorta like the Red Bull X2010 or X2014, I could see the Spa lap record being set around 1 minute 10 seconds or less......no track would be safe from this one lap monster...

Once again, no it didn't. The f1 is still the fastest car. The only reason it went slower is because of the drs zones. Give an f1 the possibility of using the drs everywhere and it will dominate once again. Then remove all the f1 regulations and it will be even faster.

If you remove the restrictions, it's no longer an F1 car, since it no longer complies with FIA Formula 1 regulations. Thus proving F1 no longer has the fastest track cars. Thanks to the regs.

I'm sure we could argue back and forth all day about if they used more DRS, or strapped Space Shuttle Boosters to their $500,000,000 team budget Mercedes car.

Also, LMP1's of today ALWAYS have a top speed advantage over F1 cars. Even with DRS down the straight, F1 struggles to get near Prototypes' top speeds. F1's advantage has always been in the turns.

If you remove the restrictions, it's no longer an F1 car, since it no longer complies with FIA Formula 1 regulations. Thus proving F1 no longer has the fastest track cars. Thanks to the regs.

I'm sure we could argue back and forth all day about if they used more DRS, or strapped Space Shuttle Boosters to their $500,000,000 team budget Mercedes car.

Also, LMP1's of today ALWAYS have a top speed advantage over F1 cars. Even with DRS down the straight, F1 struggles to get near Prototypes' top speeds. F1's advantage has always been in the turns.

What would you do to a Formula 1 car to make it faster than the 919 Evo? I mean my idea is for a fully focused car with the rulebook thrown into the fire

An F1 that can use DRS wherever they want is still an F1 car. Don't confuse the competition with what the car is. This is why I specified that we would just let it use the DRS and it would go faster.
Then (and this is a separate thing) if we play the same game porsche has just played, a modified F1 car would easily destroy this Porsche. That said, Porsche acheviement is still impressive, but let's not esagerate and say we have just seen the fastest car in the world, cause we didn't.

Fact is all they have to do is be the best car in that series, which is what Merc have well and truly done over the last few years to stunning effect.

This is simply Porsche PR stunt and a good one.

I love the fact Porsche did this, shows that they have high octane petrol running through their veins.

I've watched some of the Youtube vids and yes it's been fitted with DRS although the rest of the car looks like it's in Le Mans type aero spec which would make it very slippery in a straight line anyway. The front section is new (WEC rules require the car to have headlights). The car looks like it's on rails. Quite amazing, not sure why but it looks more impressive than an F1 car, maybe its the underfloor aero but through Eau Rouge it just looks bonkers. lol

People keep taking about the DRS but I would imagine the car is possibly on some form of qualifying tyre as well but even so I just loved this and glad Porsche did it.

It also has 53% more cornering downforce over the standard car. Which is just insane! :D

F1 is still the pinnacle I suppose but the LMP-H cars in my view are still the most incredible race cars in recent history. Shame they became victims of politics and budgets. At least they sound good :thumbsup:

When we had the final versions of Group C, those cars were fast enough to be mid-grid in an F1 race. So a similar sort of story but great fun nonetheless.

Nice extra article here: http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/jani-breaks-spa-track-record-in-porsche-919-hybrid-evo/

Last edited:
Who wants to see if the 919 can beat the 3:00 mark at Le Mans? Afaik, the official test day is open to other cars when requested and I don't think the ACO will say no to Porsche.

Remember from the Porsche Curves to Tetre Rouge is circuit from Tetra rouge to the Porshce curves is public roads they would need to shut down everything for that and that would require President Macron to allow it...

Remember from the Porsche Curves to Tetre Rouge is circuit from Tetra rouge to the Porshce curves is public roads they would need to shut down everything for that and that would require President Macron to allow it...

Let them take it out for a quick spin on Sunday morning before the 24 Hours, I'm sure the ACO will allow a quick joyride if Porsche ask nicely...:);)

Driver said:
"“The 919 Evo is brutally impressive. It is definitely the fastest car I ever drove. The grip level is at a fully new dimension for me, I couldn’t imagine this amount beforehand."

Grip..........grip grip.....
sorry, the more people see this from real drivers the more chance we have of people understanding grip isn't arcade....and the more chance we have of devs not being brow beaten into making cars slip everywhere to please people with no understanding of racing cars...

cheers.
Of course there will be grip as the DRS is the aero brake/cornering assist here, and the tires are still fresh and new... How many laps this thing went? I bet the wheels and brakes were warmed up carefully in the pits too. Also which compound did they use?
How long those tires would live under such load in endurance racing conditions?
Also this car has variable control of torque distribution, do you seriously think that a regular RWD car with welded diff will have the same stability?

Last edited:
Of course there will be grip as the DRS is the aero brake/cornering assist here, and the tires are still fresh and new... How many laps this thing went? I bet the wheels and brakes were warmed up carefully in the pits too. Also which compound did they use?
How long those tires would live under such load in endurance racing conditions?
Also this car has variable control of torque distribution, do you seriously think that a regular RWD car with welded diff will have the same stability?
I think Porsche just did it for fun and for showing off, not for beating F1 times, they went all out and did everything possible because they can

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/9/17214876/audi-etron-vision-gran-turismo-concept
Audi will appropriately debut the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo at this coming weekend’s race in Rome
*looking at cockpit* KITT, I missed you!

I think Porsche just did it for fun and for showing off, not for beating F1 times, they went all out and did everything possible because they can
Yup, the point was I wouldn't expect actual race cars to have that amount of grip, simply because the components need to last longer than a few laps.

Last edited:
yeah well but you used downforce and drag in connection with closed wheels and cockpits. Just wanted to make clear that that has nothing to do with the downforce of the car.
I didn't.

The fact that it's a V4 still boggles my mind..

Do we know why Porsche left WEC? I'm sure they cited something along the lines of no longer aligns with brand values, or nothing left to accomplish.. But, besides the PR stuff, do we know the real reason why? Money?
Diesel scandal ended up pushing Audi out, Porsche was there only to stop anyone from having more wins than they do at Le Mans, when Audi left they had no reason to stay.

I always remember what Mark Donahue said “If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower”

That car produces 1160bhp, imagine if Mercedes AMG F1 took their W09 and turned it into an Evolution version purpose built for taking down this car we all know Ferrari wouldnt dare do that to the SF71H, my list of requirements for that are

• No FIA limiters on the engine
    • No Fuel Restrictions
    • Increased Battery performance from 160bhp to over 300bhp
  • Second turbocharger 1 per bank
    • Possible total boost of 5 Bar, I think they run like 3.2 Bar now
    • Also full titanium built engine
  • Remapped ECU
    • I would expect at least 2000bhp to be cracked here
  • Fairings on the tyre side front and rear and infront of the rear wheels to reduce drag
    • Something like Formula E at the front and at the rear that has to be Indycar there
    • Also full bubble enclosure for the driver
  • Tweaked front and rear wings
  • Set it up for crazy levels of downforce so that car will stay glued to the track
  • Thinner bodywork
    • For weight reduction
  • Ultra Hypersoft Tyres from Pirelli
    • Just for glorious amounts of grip in the bends....
  • Skirts and a Fan, (who remembers the BT46B Fan car!)
    • Just to make darn sure that car stays stuck to the track....
  • Also a G-Suit from a fighter jet for the driver
    • I would expect 9.5G is possible with this modification to turn the fastest car into the Porsche 919 Evo killer...
If thats all done I would expect that car to be kicking out somewhere around 2000bhp and weight probably around 500 to 600kg incl driver, it would be sorta like the Red Bull X2010 or X2014, I could see the Spa lap record being set around 1 minute 10 seconds or less......no track would be safe from this one lap monster...

The 919 evo still looks like the car it's based on, your F1 car would look nothing like an F1 car at all, more like the thing from the GT series

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back