What does this community really wants?

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
Looking at what this community is playing, this week on PC, there is more people driving in AC than in ACC and RF2 and PCars2 put together.
https://steamcharts.com/cmp/244210,365960,378860,805550#7d
This says something about what we are actually driving, which sometimes is not represented by what is making the news or actively discussed on RD.
AC in it present state, on PC, attract more players than the other 3 put together. I also play the other 3, but far less, that I spend time in AC.
To me, AC is with all the toppings, VR, CM, Shader, SOL, real mirrors, all the tracks and mods and not just the one available here, has so much to offer, it is unbelievable.
This morning I raced 2008 f1 in Montreal with all the cars with proper livery down to the helmets, dynamic changing weather, 22 cars on the grid. I was there at that race in 2008 and AC is virtually bringing me back, but this time I am driving, priceless!
Only AC has that ability to only limit what you can do to what you can imagine or desire.
Judging by that it is driven by the majority, AC is really what this community wants, and I am talking about the one actually driving, not the minority writing 80% of the post here, too busy complaining to actually enjoy our great hobby.
That is the community I am referring to, the one who drive.
Hopefully developers are paying more attention to that and less to the constant bickering, arguing about details and ultimately never satisfied, that we read here, page after page, from the people posting on RD.
What we want is to have fun and that is what a majority of us get from AC with all the toppings.

I was making fun of iRacings physics just a few months ago. Someone asked me if I tried it lately because the GT Ford on the Nordschlief was driving bliss. It had been years since I tried it last so I subscribed and I have to agree. The GT Ford is driving bliss.
Yes, there is still a long list of things I really don't like about iRacing.

All joking and insults aside, I have the hardest time with AC's physics. The rest of it is full marks. My favorite! Very well done! But the physics is a deal breaker for me.
Its sense of speed that is the biggest problem. And I was just thinking that it could help if road and wind sound increased along with FFB intensity with speed? Especially with older cars.
I wonder if it could be a mod?

All joking and insults aside, I have the hardest time with AC's physics. The rest of it is full marks. My favorite! Very well done! But the physics is a deal breaker for me.
Its sense of speed that is the biggest problem. And I was just thinking that it could help if road and wind sound increased along with FFB intensity with speed? Especially with older cars.
I wonder if it could be a mod?

The sense of speed in AC is quite bad. Coming into hairpins and slower corners has no sense of dropping speed and the speed you roll into the corner feel the same at 20 vs 50mph.

When I had iracing, the sense of speed and the chassis dynamic (mainly weight transfer) really stood out over AC.

I'm guessing people are talking about 2D racing when they compare sense of speed between sims? Surely in VR with identical PoV and fake PP effects like motion blur disabled, the sense of speed in the same car on the same track will be pretty much identical across different sims, notwithstanding track furniture being closer to the car? Or am I missing something here?

We get it, you prefer an other sim physic, good for you, so now, please open your own thread discussing the difference between IRacing and AC. This is not what we are discussing in this thread.
Thank you in advance for not derailing this thread any more.
Stop derailing this thread with whining replies. We are discussing what this community needs.
Grow up!!!!

I'm guessing people are talking about 2D racing when they compare sense of speed between sims? Surely in VR with identical PoV and fake PP effects like motion blur disabled, the sense of speed in the same car on the same track will be pretty much identical across different sims, notwithstanding track furniture being closer to the car? Or am I missing something here?

I'd agree with you, Mascot ... that's mostly in 2D that this lack of sense of speed is the most obvious, especially of course with one single screen.

We're mostly asking or looking for the most realistic FOV .... and this one in single screen is rather or very far from the original FOV the game was created with.

Without changing anything, AC has a 55° FOV .... and the sense of speed is really there .... the more we make it lower the more this sense of speed seems to be disappearing .... and the reason is rather obvious with one single screen ( except surely the very broad ones as those 49" ).... with low FOV ... we have much less view at the side windows ..... and this side view is, I think, very important for the sense of speed. Mostly also, with low FOV .... the driver's seat has less possibility of backwards setting .... without having the driver's seat in the view. :D

AC is surely not the only one, most sims are done that way nowadays.... and that's rather logical as most simracers have Triple screen or VR..... good for them but less good for the 2D users, it seems ( and there are still a lot of them for the main reason: expensive PC material and the evolution is running faster and faster in the video game industry.... Surely the half part of the sims users cannot financially follow.

• Deleted member 197115

World scale could be slightly different, but it's just something you quickly get used to, not sure it has any significant impact on "sense of speed".

Without changing anything, AC has a 55° FOV .... and the sense of speed is really there .... the more we make it lower the more this sense of speed seems to be disappearing .... and the reason is rather obvious with one single screen ( except surely the very broad ones as those 49" ).... with low FOV ... we have much less view at the side windows ..... and this side view is, I think, very important for the sense of speed. Mostly also, with low FOV .... the driver's seat has less possibility of backwards setting .... without having the driver's seat in the view. :D
I think your theories are fine but I've always found lower FOV to feel faster, especially when cornering. I think it's down to perceiving world scale better, at high fov everything is smaller, so looks farther away moving more slowly, and as you rotate the scenery barely changes cause it's already all onscreen.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back