Was Ocon to Blame for Verstappen Accident?

I absolutely have no horse in the F1 series so to me it depends entirely on whether you look at it from a rules or morals standpoint. I'm therefore lead to conclude that it's a racing incident, you could blame either driver.

If you're looking at an absolute by-the-book evaluation, it was aggressive but Ocon had the right to try unlap himself. Verstappen turned into a car on the inside of him when he could, and should have left space.

From a moral standpoint, Ocon probably didn't need to push for the move given the overall race situation.

Ocon caused the situation, Verstappen caused the crash.

Would you expect a lapped car in 16th to shove it down the inside while you were leading the race? Even if it was for position, Max was ahead and the line was his priority.

He has the right to do so. Ocon was on the outside outside on his first move, Verstappen should have payed more attention to his mirrors, because it was obvious Ocon was there.

He should have played safe. But hey, he doesn't know how to do that.

Ocon is clearly an idiot, not sure what the hell he was thinking there or how he thought it would end. Saying that Verstappen clearly does not have the situational awareness that drivers like Schumi, Lewis, Alonso, et al have as an innate ability since their earliest days. This lack of awareness will prevent Verstappen's rise and any chance of a championship.

So, let's recap...

Verstappen: 100% innocent for the incident itself.
Verstappen: 100% quilty for the incident afterwards :laugh:

I cannot believe this many people put it on Ocon. I mean yeah, he went for the move. But why the hell is the leader, who has the race in the bag defending from a lapped car????? I mean how stupid can you be? Let him go, and take the win. Its 2001 Sonoma Robby Gordon all over again... too worried about a lappened car.

Ocon didnt nothing wrong.

All blame is to Verstappen. If Ocon is 1 lap down this doesent matter.

Two cars will collide if they try to do the same racing line. Verstappen was on left side, do the entire S do Senna on left side and just win the race. Why go right suposing that there are not any car there?

Verstappen is not patience enough, like Senna 90' Brazil Grand Prix.

Would you expect a lapped car in 16th to shove it down the inside while you were leading the race? Even if it was for position, Max was ahead and the line was his priority.

Not tottally ahead. He made the manouver expecting Ocon use the brakes. This is not a smart move, you have always to consider the worst to take the best of all situations.

I understand the fact that Ocon had the right to unlap himself but to me, he should have waited for the DRS zone, that turn is quite hard to do wheel to wheel with another car and often a crash happens, also he was battling the race leader that was a lap ahead.
If that happened between Verstappen and Hamilton or another driver at the top positions I could have judged differently, but to me, it was Ocon that had to give up this time.

Last edited:
Maybe im alone in this but considering that regardless of the penalty Ocon wasn't gonna lose anything important like points or standings or i dont think even much money since he was already pretty off in the grid, the punishment wasn't gonna cut it. What would be ideal? I have no idea, it depends on wether or not did Ocon messed up Vers win or not. But while verstappen had a 1st place victory to lose, Ocon had nothing. A 10 second penalty meant nothing to him i think in the great scale of things.

Maybe im alone in this but considering that regardless of the penalty Ocon wasn't gonna lose anything important like points or standings or i dont think even much money since he was already pretty off in the grid, the punishment wasn't gonna cut it. What would be ideal? I have no idea, it depends on wether or not did Ocon messed up Vers win or not. But while verstappen had a 1st place victory to lose, Ocon had nothing. A 10 second penalty meant nothing to him i think in the great scale of things.
Maybe a safety car to help Verstappen

If you are leading the race, you should not have to worry about a car that is a lap down. It's simple as that. Ocon was not in a good spot to take a lap back from MV. He should have waited for a straight line, if he had so much more speed. And even if Ocon had managed to unlap himself, it would have been temporary. The Red Bull is a faster car overall and after some time, MV would have lapped him again.

The point is: if you're a lap down, get the f*** out of the way. Don't race the leader. That was a huge lapse of judgement on Ocon's part, especially for a guy who is desperately trying to come back on the grid next season.

The only lack of judgement here was from Verstappen, Ocon had every right to make a move into T1 in an attempt to unlap himself, there is no rule in F1 that says he can't. The problem arose when MV decided that he had right of passage due to being P1, this was his 1st lack of grey matter use, the 2nd was turning down on Ocon at T2 which caused the contact, even we sim racers know you need to leave racing room when an opponent is on the inside going into a turn, it's called "racecraft"

Verstappen cost himself the win and he needs to accept that.

The penalty for Ocon was correct.
We had plenty of overtakes in T1 that Ocon can watch to learn about it.

If it would have been a fight for position (no blue flag) it would have been a different situation. Close to 50/50 probably then.
If they were racing for position then it would've been 100% Max's fault. He really did turn into the apex of turn 2 when a car was on his inside...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.