Was Ocon to Blame for Verstappen Accident?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Ocon vs Verstappen Crash.jpg

Esteban Ocon made contact with race leader Max Verstappen in Brazil, spinning the Dutchman while attempting to unlap himself - who do you think was to blame?

It isn't often you see a lapped driver attempting to pass the race leader, and that is exactly what Racing Point Force India driver Esteban Ocon attempted to achieve against Max Verstappen on the 42nd lap of the Brazilian Grand Prix, ending in contact with the Red Bull and seriously putting a dent in any hopes of Verstappen wrapping up back to back race victories for the first time in his Formula One career.

Clearly faster at that stage of the Grand Prix, Ocon would be keen to put space between himself and the then race leader Verstappen heading into the 42nd lap of 71, pitching his car up the inside of the Red Bull into the tricky downhill opening corner. Crucially, Ocon wouldn't have an overlap on the Red Bull and found himself out of space when Verstappen inevitably closed the door to take his racing line, resulting in contact between the two and an angry Verstappen to spin to the inside of the track - ending any serious chance of racing to the victory in Brazil today.

Force India would be adamant that the fault lay at Verstappen's door for the crash, despite the drivers racing on different laps, but what is your opinion of the incident?

Should lapped cars show more respect? Should Verstappen have left more room? Let us know your thoughts!

However much Vertstappen turned into Ocon and didn’t give him much space( in my opinion), It was a move that a teamless Ocon should never have tried to make, even if it was more blatantly Verstappen’s fault, as it just leaves a bad impression for any Verstappen fan.

Max is the race leader! Blue flag!!

The penalty for Ocon was correct.
We had plenty of overtakes in T1 that Ocon can watch to learn about it.

If it would have been a fight for position (no blue flag) it would have been a different situation. Close to 50/50 probably then.

The penalty for Ocon was correct.
We had plenty of overtakes in T1 that Ocon can watch to learn about it.

If it would have been a fight for position (no blue flag) it would have been a different situation. Close to 50/50 probably then.
No law against re-overtaking, but obviously he would have had to let him go again. Need to introduce a law against it though, I would agree and was stupid of Ocon.

No question.

People (cough cough Otmar) said that, if a driver has the pace to unlap themselves, they can. What they all seem to forget is he didn't have the pace to unlap himself. The only reason he caught back up was he got DRS and slipstream. Even if Ocon had, by some miracle, made that pass (which should've been a penalty even if they were racing for position) he would've been passed back almost immediately. He absolutely ruined Verstappens race and surpassed Verstappen in the dumbest move made by a driver this season.

I think Ocon did a stupid move but it was weird to see Verstappen jumping on the corner like that, looked pretty obvious that there would be a car there regardless. I mean the dude was crazy enough to put the car on your side when you just lapped him... expect the worse and keep yourself safe.

Ocon really played "le con" this time, Max - and I'm surprised to say this - was innocent here and merited this win that escaped him.

Besides that, Ocon did drive with a Mercedes engine did he not? /inb4 conspiracy theories.

Did you guys see what he did to Ocon after the race? How primitive.
Mod Edit: removed provocative sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you guys see what he did to Ocon after the race? How primitive.

Senna and Schumacher all did the same, but are excused cause for some reason they are of mythical proportions to the fans. Are you going to say bad words about them as well, cause you're opening a Pandora's box if you say that drivers express their feelings after the race when faced with moronic behaviour on track.

Last edited by a moderator:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%